Permanent stains - reducing or adding o2

efd354

Can anyone tell me more about ( or refer me to info relating to) reducing oxygen or adding oxygen to a permanent stain. Also is there an alternative to bleaching out a furniture stain and starting from scratch by dye restoration?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
In general, try an oxidizer first, on an unknown stain not removable by detergency or dissolving by "normal cleaning" procedures. Two reasons why:
1) Oxidizers are shown to have a higher statistical rate of success on unknown stains.
2) Oxidizers are less likely to cause a problem in removal, than if you first use a reducer, if the other is called for.

Here's a little more detail on the subject....
http://mikeysboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12855&hilit=oxidizers+reducers

efd354

Thank you very much. A lot of insight with acceleration. The only thing that confused me was to use an oxidizer first. I thought an oxidizer would take the color out of the carpet. When I come across large coffee stains and yellow stains alike, I spray a solution which has a great deal of sodium bisulfide in it. It reduces these stains as the liquid dries.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Certainly an oxidizer can take out color, but only on uncontrolled situations. The mark of a professional is to control the situation.

Without much in the way of exceptions, a formula made for carpet stain removal is completely safe when used according to proper procedures. Where cleaners get into trouble is when they take the chemistry in their own hands and lose control of the oxidation stain removal process. Mixing highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide with an accelerator is very risky. That is the number one reason to use a branded product designed for safe carpet stain removal. Also, only use products designed for the carpet type (e.g. Stain Magic for Wool, on wool fibers). You just don't see people getting into trouble, using proper procedure.

The only time you should really pull color is when the dye is irreparably damaged by the stain material, such as old dog urine on a wool rug. In these cases, even plain water will draw out color.

Now, there are rare exceptions to the rule of Oxy first, but it is usually used when you know more specifics about the stain element, fiber type and condition of the fibers. These are best covered at length in a stain removal class.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
efd354 said:
Thank you very much. A lot of insight with acceleration. The only thing that confused me was to use an oxidizer first. I thought an oxidizer would take the color out of the carpet. When I come across large coffee stains and yellow stains alike, I spray a solution which has a great deal of sodium bisulfide in it. It reduces these stains as the liquid dries.

I agree, except the chemical is actually "bisulfite".

I like to use reducing agents first, on "yellow" and coffee stains.

Larry

P.S. Good explanations Shawn.

efd354

I agree, except the chemical is actually "bisulfite".

I like to use reducing agents first, on "yellow" and coffee stains.

Larry

P.S. Good explanations Shawn.

I've been using salon grade hydrogen peroxide 40% with very little success. Is there another specific kind or brand I should be using?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
As Shawn explained, using a product specifically made for carpet stains will be safer and usually more effective than a product intended for another industry. Several manufacturers make good oxidizers often including an agent to accelerate, detergents to help penetration, stabilizers for longer shelf life and so forth. They will perform better than simple hydrogen peroxide.

Our product is Bridgepoint StainZONE.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I've been using salon grade hydrogen peroxide 40% with very little success. Is there another specific kind or brand I should be using?

To try and maintain concentration, most salon peroxides have no other ingredients.

A well-formulated peroxide stain remover will also have:

1. Pentrating agents to allow the solution to penetrate the fiber bundle

2. Stabilizing agents to maintain peroxide strength (important in summer)

These added-value components will insure the stain removal success.

Larry

S

shellybrown

As per my concern you need to use 3% hydrogen peroxide and 8 parts of water add in a spray bottle and then apply on the stain area.
If stain still remains so you can use cornstarch directly on the stain surface for removing permanent stains...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom