Pet Dog Carpet Odor

jkon

Hello,

I am new to this forum and thank you in advance to all who may be able to help my family. My mom and dad are now both in nursing homes. They own a house (3-bedroom single story ranch) that we now have to sell. The house smells terribly (dog smell) from a big Labrador Retriever that was in the house for 8 years. I am sure the smell is in the carpets (wall to wall carpeting) as well as the furniture, curtains, etc. We have tried some sprays but to no avail. And now with the windows having to be closed for upcoming winter, the smell is even worse. Is there anything we can do to permanently remove all the smell short of having to rip up the carpet and padding and throw away the furniture? Thank you.

jkon

My sister found a new home for her. Real good young couple who said they had been praying for the right dog to come along. The dog's name is Sheba and she is an 8 year old chocolate Lab. They said Sheba definitely was the Lord's answer to their prayer. Sheba loves them and they love Sheba. My sister goes to visit them and Sheba every now and then.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
something for us to know would be what equipment and chemistry you have available to evaluate/deal with this? Do you have any extraction equipment? Do you have a moisture probe to locate sources of urine? Do you have a water claw or equivalent tool?

The BEST action for you to take may be to find a professional in your area to come and evaluate it and deal with it if he/she can or at least advise you as to your options. There are a lot of variables.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The house smells terribly (dog smell) from a big Labrador Retriever that was in the house for 8 years

how old is the carpet ?
nevermind, we know it's "at least" 8 years old
is it just dog dander/oils smell, or urine too??

if urine contamination, tear the stuff out and put in some cheap Home Depot/Lowes carpet.
Whatever cheap poly crAp they have on sale will be fine .
It will help greatly with the sale of the house

..L.T.A.

Name
I'm Rick James
You should hire a local carpet cleaning company to take a look at it for you. If you post what area you live in someone on here might be able to help you find a quality cleaner.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Joe my guess is that it was a male dog and that the smell is from the anal gland secretion of the dog. Seems to be the bigger they are the worse it is. The smell tends to be an overwhelming musty/oily heavy duty dog smell. If that's the case it's extremely hard to remove and you'll need a very good carpet cleaner who has experience with that kind of contamination - or the lot may need replacing sorry.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
the post above from Heath is exactly why i got rid of my huge dog and am never gonna have another one in or on my investment (home) I cleaned and deodorized my first home 3 times while it was for sale and that odor was still there. solution! no dog

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I would suggest that you find an owner operator in your area. he will most likely be able to solve your problem. the way we remove the odor is to spray with a peroxide boosted prespray(40 volumne ) and flush with a tool called a rotovac, but any rotary tool will do.

gene

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
from what I have dealt with I would just replace it with some cheap carpet if you are going to sell the house, paint everything and clean the duct system if the house has it

the smell isn't just in the carpet

if not I would have someone clean it then ozone it, don't bother doing anything else because it doesn't work

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom