Pick-up chassis vs. Van chassis

Scott Rogers

Thinking of a 10ft box for my next TM. really liking the idea of a pick-up rather then a van chassis. much nicer and more comfortable interior in a pick-up.

would be a low profile box. i dont see the value of being able to walk in it. I would like to have it orginized well enough to reach near everything without going inside like my regular van is now. would need to have the box exterior height about the same as my e250 is. So im guessing around 4.5-5 foot tall.

any cons to a pickup chassis Im missing besides total length?

Pros nicer more comfortable interior.
easier maintenance and repair accessibly of the engine bay
cargo area should be much easier to set up efficiently

cab f150
wheelbase 145'
gvw 8200
payload 2900-3120

<tbody>
</tbody>

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Thinking of a 10ft box for my next TM. really liking the idea of a pick-up rather then a van chassis. much nicer and more comfortable interior in a pick-up.

would be a low profile box. i dont see the value of being able to walk in it. I would like to have it orginized well enough to reach near everything without going inside like my regular van is now. would need to have the box exterior height about the same as my e250 is. So im guessing around 4.5-5 foot tall.

any cons to a pickup chassis Im missing besides total length?

Pros nicer more comfortable interior.
easier maintenance and repair accessibly of the engine bay
cargo area should be much easier to set up efficiently

cab f150
wheelbase 145'
gvw 8200
payload 2900-3120

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I say go for it. If you can fit everything you need in there it would separate the heat and stink of the slide in like a box truck does but you could really be pimping in a nice modern pick-up. You can always sell it if you don't like it. Chicks dig pick-ups.

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Connor

Name
Connor
Is an half ton really enough? Would you run a TM in an half ton van?

Scott Rogers

the payload difference is about 400# between a e250 and a f150

But stepping up to a f250 wouldnt be a issue if i do decide to go this route and decide it necessary

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Ford's newer 150's aren't like the older ones, Chris

Not sure about the pick-ups, but sometime in the late '00s the E-150 became a 8400 GVW van
My Super Cargo E-250 is 8450 GVW
The 350 gets a larger frame due to the option of going dually

with the availability of easily installed and super durable Airlift air springs (a rubber bladder like used on semi-trailers) the single wheels are really the weak link in load baring capacity ...not the frame or drive-line

..l.T.A.

Reactions: Scott Rogers

Connor

Name
Connor
I didn't know about the GVW upgrades, my concerns were about handling and braking. That's good to know. Did the Chevy trucks get the same upgrade?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
As far as braking. My e250 has front and rear disc brakes and drives like a dream even at higher speeds. I went 75 to another town Saturday and there wasn't a single rattle from all the crap in the back.

Last edited:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the f150's aren't setup for a box and I have never actually seen one with a box on any of the newer ones. you want to go with at least an f250. see my post about fords new van with diesel. I think it would be interesting with a small box on one.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Pick up for sure. The vans are ok but have no power with loads. Get a ramp to

From this in the background to...
HPIM0500.jpg

To..

DSC00447a.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back