Picking a domain...

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I've been reading up on it lately and would love to hear some opinions on the subject.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
How much does key words play a role in the domain?

That's a fred/hoody type question, i was thinking of it from practical view.

Cutts will give great by the book answers but you have to ask someone who does this for a living to learn what happens in real life.
What the G-man tells us they want and what happens is not always the same.

I believe matt cutts said it doesnt play a big role anymore but have no clue how true that is.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Geographical targeted keywords have little to no weight anymore. No SEO value either. To give you some insight into what Google prefers, think more about creating a brand online. I'd have to dig up some stories/press releases to show you what I mean - but there have been some fortune 500 companies that got the temporary hammer from Google for violating TOS or their guidelines but because they have such a powerful BRAND Google forgives them after a few days. It may also have to do with the fact that spend a lot of money in ads but Google will never admit that. Smaller businesses would just be de-indexed and you'd have to start over.

In short - focus on creating a brand through your domain that you can easily market. Are people going to remember carpet-cleaning-city.com ? Probably not.

Google will not also admit that brand names get higher preference than smaller businesses in the search results too but they do. A lot of it has to do with how much SEO has changed and how much it is still going to continue to change. What I will tell you is links still have value and you should still try building broad link profiles, but try to get your company name/brand in the spotlight in local news medias. Build a strong social media presence too.

Ask your local paper to do an article about maintaining their carpet and other carpet, tile, stone, upholstery related things every couple of months.

Reactions: GCCLee

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Exact matching domain names or similar don't help anymore. As Shane said get something that states what you do or lets them know you're local and is easy to remember.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We used our company name for the domain and purchased other keyword domains that direct to our site. IE: carpetcleaninginlasvegas.com naturaldry.net .org etc... We submit those sites to the search engines to, noticed our competitors doing this and it produced decent results on rankings for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom