Plastic chair-mats on carpet over a concrete slab

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Have you guys seen much in the way of problems with moisture condensing underneath the plastic chair-mat that you can attribute to concrete slab moisture vapor? (not to be confused with moisture from cleaning)

Seen mold in any cases? What do you do in these cases?

Edit: I should add that I am referring to residential plush

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't recall ever encountering that.

Of course, down here, I seldom see plastic mats. We just roll our chairs around on the carpets and then bitch when they prematurely wear out.

Name
Nate W.
Shawn Forsythe said:
Have you guys seen much in the way of problems with moisture condensing underneath the plastic chair-mat that you can attribute to concrete slab moisture vapor? (not to be confused with moisture from cleaning)

Seen mold in any cases? What do you do in these cases?

Edit: I should add that I am referring to residential plush

I've had a rug Persian rug come in for cleaning that had a chair pad on it... Upon inspecting it, i rubbed it with my hand and the fibers just started falling out... It was over a tiled floor...

I've had another customer who had a chair pad down for sometime on there wall-wall carpet... You could see a green stain under the mat... We advised them that they had moisture coming most likely from the concrete... They didn't seem to care... So, I don't know the outcome to that job... We walked...

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I saw this several times as a carpet inspector. Since I was not present at the time of cleaning, I could not be certain if they cleaned around the mats, put the mats back down on damp carpet or allow the carpet to dry. But in each case I did find that the concrete slab was transmitting considerable moisture. So, much of the moisture (maybe all) came from the slab.

Three cases that I recall rather clearly. In 1 case the result was mold under the chair mats. In the other 2 cases there was discoloration.

These were all commercial carpets, not residential plush. So, maybe that won't help.

Carpet was replaced by the manufacture in 2 cases. They customers were big accounts that they wanted to keep happy. In my opinion it was not a manufacturing issue. The third case, I recommended the building owner replace the carpet. They decided to wait until the normal replacement schedule 3 years or so down the road.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom