Plateau as an owner op

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I think i am starting to plateau as an owner op. I have an assistant who gets about 25 - 30 hrs a week but guranteed 40 this summer. I started getting into vct to supplement my carpet cleaning but now vct has almost become an equal to carpet cleaning about 65/35. I thought this was supposed to be my slow season, but I am so busy I am begining to burn my self out. I am having trouble finding someone who can be a tech and dont want to get rid of a good assistant to take a chance on a tech that may not work. I am already in the process of raising my prices as my time is more valuble. I was also thinking of triming back on my advertising until I figure out how to manage this crisis that Im in. All I know is minus my 4 day a week hour trip to the gym , I have just enough time to eat sleep and shit work and Im getting tired of it. what have some of you guys did in my situation?

danbrown

And here I thought I was the only one....

Once you start not having time to eat, you'll finally start charging the correct $ value for your time. For about the past 2 months I have only had time to work, sleep, and shit. I have found I'm able to sell bigger tickets when I'm hungry.

More money means the funds for more help. Or to take a vacation. Take your pick.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Schedule yourself some time during the week and don't book on that time no matter what. You control the schedule, just say no, and give yourself a break.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
juniorc82 said:
All I know is minus my 4 day a week hour trip to the gym , I have just enough time to eat sleep and shit work and Im getting tired of it. what have some of you guys did in my situation?

Who do you take your orders from? You and you alone. It's YOUR life. Figure it out. You have 3-400 thousand hours left to live.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Like others said, you have to make time for you. My wife and I go to our boat on weekends in the summer, so I haven't worked a Saturday from May-October since 07. I've lost some biz, sure. But life is always more important than work...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Do the work you want, get paid the right amount for it AND sub or refer out the other work you don't want or can't handle to a good cleaner who needs work.

Make a little money off the jobs you would have lost anyway.

S

sam miller

Sent my son and Other helper Phil Out last week alone for first time Those 2 are dummer then a bag of hammers.

They spent more time looking for jobs then doing them!

They managed 3 stops for $260 while I did to for $580

The hard part is trusting they're gonna do what You tought them.

F

FB7777

All good advice above

I've been there too, my reason for being so busy was too much advertising of too low a price point

Being too busy is a very good position to start from , however, it beats the alternative

... raising your prices incrementally will do wonders for your bottom line

Art brings up a very good point .... I started my company at the age of 22 and basically traded my twenties for money. 7 days a week with a few days off here and there

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes, having some freedom to do what you want is priceless.

Get those systems in place, don't be afraid to let go and let those other young bucks do the work so they can learn.

Teach them systems as well and you'll be better off.

Take advantage of what income you can as it comes to you...Don't just throw it away.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Where are you getting the work from? internet? postcards?where?

Thanks...!

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have plateaued also... I have a guy that can go it alone and we are planning to work together for the big ones and split off for the smaller jobs. He cleans great and has alot of attention to detail, but he is a little older so I hope I can get 10 years out of him. Thing is if you do train the younger guys if you get 10 years(before they move on) you would be lucky also.

The phone is absolutely killing me right now, and the year has just started.. :shock:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
was taught years ago that you can raise your price 10%, you may lose up to 30% of your clients, but you'll have the same net profit.
Find a couple good cleaners you can refer the worst jobs to, or the ones you just can't get to

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
jcooper said:
Where are you getting the work from? internet? postcards?where?

Thanks...!
I live in a semi rural town of about 45,000 so good word of mouth has really spread. Since I also strip and wax vct I get alot of jobs that janitorial companies get like day care centers , grocery stores, and ;arge offices. Most of my business is just repeat or referals but I do pretty good on the internet and my local phone book.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Great problem and raising your prices and hiring a tech will be a good thing to give you a break on a few rooms and whatever odd days you want to take off. I take off 3 every week and have guys who do wonderful work.

In hiring can I suggest you just find a friendly, comfortable, confident person with no experience and train them your way. This way you have a friendly salesman with no bad habits from a prior carpet cleaning Job, and will be the best for you.

I only hire if a person is comfortable, friendly and a happy type individual. I can handle the rest. They are always the best to train and represent your company.

Hope this helps

ayetti

It is a perfect opportunity to raise your prices until you are comfortable. Obviously you are doing above average work (or you wouldn't be so busy) so charge above average prices.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
raise prices, and it's not unheard of to cut-back. just say no...it may not be the cool thing to do, but if you're not enjoying it anymore then cut-back/simplify.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Sounds more like you're burnt out, rather than plateauing. You're more in that growing pain stage, you could go bigger, and its going to hurt while your do it, but long term it may be better ? Depending on your goals you could stay at that price point, hire and train, buy more equipment, and grow larger, or as others have said raise your prices, and stay as an owner op/assistant, work less on the truck but make more per job. Its really all up to you, nothing wrong with a lower price point, but right now is decision time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom