Please be as detailed as possible

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
vacuum top and bottom, bottom first,
lay on paper poly drop cloth
one step cleaning on the back unless prespray needed
prespray top
clean - roto vac (slow head spead) or wand, RX-20 or single speed rotary not recommended
groom
if nowhere else to dry it leave it on the drop cloth

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We try not to clean any rugs on location but there were always some that didn't want the rug removed from their home. Even knowing that the cleaning quality had limitations.

Vacuum thoroughly
Precondition with Prochem Fine Fabric Prespray
Agitate with groomer
Rinse with either All Fiber Rinse or Fine Fabric Detergent using a Zipper to flush and dry.

6 mil tucked around edges, airmover left while cleaning other rooms. Airmover left if included in the charge or multiple rugs cleaned.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In home rug cleaning...

Synthetics: I clean it just like normal wall to wall where it's sitting. My machine has suction and I don't flood it with water, so I don't need a tarp under it.

Natural fiber: Mostly the same as above, only I use cold water and max 400psi.

This isn't rocket science guys. If it's exotic colors, I don't clean on site, I sub it out to a rug company

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We try not to clean any rugs on location but there were always some that didn't want the rug removed from their home. Even knowing that the cleaning quality had limitations.

Vacuum thoroughly
Precondition with Prochem Fine Fabric Prespray
Agitate with groomer
Rinse with either All Fiber Rinse or Fine Fabric Detergent using a Zipper to flush and dry.

6 mil tucked around edges, airmover left while cleaning other rooms. Airmover left if included in the charge or multiple rugs cleaned.
Ditto, except I use Prochems Axiom extraction detergent to rinse. Less foamy. I rarely clean in the home unless it's synthetic over a floor not harmed by moisture. We do a much thorough cleaning in the shop.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
So only 4 of you clean rugs in the home, amazing

Confessing to cleaning rugs in the home in a cleaning forum invites more than a little criticism.

I've spent my entire professional career preaching the benefits of in plant cleaning, and still believe its the best choice....when its a choice.

I look at the explosion of hard surface floors and low cost area rugs, and wonder about what's the most practical decision for the homeowner and the cleaner.

I also am aware of many communities that don't yet have in plant operations, even if the cleaners who might want to subcontract with them have the means to pick up and deliver the rugs.

I think an honest discussion of alternatives needs to be shared.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I drop the rugs in my spa, then crank up the temps and turn on the jets. It's almost as good as a Centrumforce wash tub. The churning of the hottub mimics the natural turbulence of river washing. I then yank the rugs out and mount them on the lumber rack of my truck. Once that's done, I drive up and down Hwy 5 at 70 MPH to dry and polish the rugs. This is the Damon Rydell Patented technique. I'll soon be giving classes in my new facility, closing escrow tomorrow. There, you will get a styrofoam cup for the soft serve machine and a certificate showing you are FTC certified in the washing of rugs in hot tubs.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
073257052092.jpg

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I generally dont clean rugs in home maybe 2 or 3 a year? And they're usually worthless so they get cleaned like they're carpet mats

I can see the benefits of compound on a nice rug for interim cleaning, but I'd have to import the compound myself with extra shipping charges etc so nup

Name
Steve Lawrence
Our techs clean rugs in the home constantly. So many customers would rather have it done that way, if there are not special circumstances (like urine or ink) Not sure how they pull it off, but they do! j/k, they are provided with good knowledge (often neutral detergent), know the importance of quick drying as well as retaining the original shape of the rug clean fringe well and provide protective paper during drying--much like Mikey does with his plastic sheeting. Rugs are fun! And profitable! just clean em well and dry em well.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Our techs clean rugs in the home constantly. So many customers would rather have it done that way, if there are not special circumstances (like urine or ink) Not sure how they pull it off, but they do! j/k, they are provided with good knowledge (often neutral detergent), know the importance of quick drying as well as retaining the original shape of the rug clean fringe well and provide protective paper during drying--much like Mikey does with his plastic sheeting. Rugs are fun! And profitable! just clean em well and dry em well.
That's one of the problems with in home cleaning, is the fringes. They are usually cotton and will brown with higher ph and over wetting. Good to see you are drying them.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I inform the customer that due to a number of liability concerns, in home cleaning of rugs will not remove all the stains and odors and in some cases the rugs might look worst after the cleaning. we can not properly deep clean rugs in the home environment, it is only a light surface cleaning. We often refuse to clean some rugs in the home, such as shags, woven and rugs used as a toilet as well as rugs with problematic fibers and dyes.

Most rugs will need to have a solid pad under them. we only clean the front and the fringe is not cleaned. I explain that our main goal is to not damage their wood floors or over wet the rugs that may cause prolonged dry times, which might cause mold growth.

We then clean like Wall to wall wool but avoid wetting to the base of the rugs. we inform we will only be cleaning the top 1/3- 2/3rd of the depth of the rug. Most of the rugs we clean on location are Gunned wool rugs and not worth the cost of the in plant cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom