Please SIGN... On the Line That Is Dotted!

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Based on bill/richards recommendation just started the book "to Sell Is Human"
Only 2 chapters in but so far i like it. We are all salespeople now!

Ask yourself

1. Do you serve clients/customers?
2. Do you teach,coach or instruct others?

Well, you are a salesperson then although not always in the direct sense of exchange of fee for service. But you are influencing, persuading and convincing others or
selling.

Think about it, when you drop off your truckmount for repair you want the guy to put you in the front of the line, because you are really, really, really busy. When you talk to a distributor and want them to sell you the really "good" stuff.

Heck every time we come to this forum we are trying to persuade perfect strangers to part with information that may have taken them years or even decades to learn.

So far, so good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I hope you never really say sign here. That's about as bad as saying chemicals. instead of products or solutions. And yes we all sell everyday.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Shane glad you like it so far. On my trip to Chicago I am listening to a book Positivity which is one of the books Dan Pink used as a reference in his book. Not as easy to read or listen to but still a good resource.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
About half way through now, after reading the chapter on "attunement" can see why Bill likes this book so much. Pretty much the social science behind the sfs saying of "looking through the glasses of the homeowner" {or whatever it is}. Having perspective on what is important to your customer and not what is important to you.

Last chapter i just read was on "buoyancy", really liked the part on how people deal with failure or his words your "explanatory style". Basically how do you talk to yourself after a failure...

See when a loser fails they make it a permanent, unfixable, pervasive, personal reason. {Too many Low Ballers out there!, or This economy sucks!}
While successful people think of failure as a specific, temporary event. { I must have caught them at the wrong time, That company has serious financial problems }

This is great stuff although i could do without some the words he uses but hey thats how you become a national writer.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Just finished the next 2 chapters 6-7 called Clarity and the Pitch. These are probably the best chapters so far specifically for carpet cleaners.

Clarity speaks a lot about creating messages and as Ken keeps pointing out to us in his critiques of our ads SIMPLE messages. The beginning talks about becoming a problem Finder instead of a problem solver which is exactly what happens in this industry, guys view themselves as craftsman or technicians and solve whatever problem people ask of them. But if you really want to grow sales we want to Find problems or solve problems customers didnt even know we can do.

Asking questions, listening and offering additional services...

These 2 chapters are all about creating headlines, pitches, selling angles, etc. A great place to start brainstorming, some creative ideas.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I agree David. I actually listen to more books than I read due to my traveling. I have To Sell is Human on iTunes and I have the book.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Stop reading and start selling your carpet cleaning
:O)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think our house sits 850 feet from the road, plus a small circle drive and a short distance up to a garage and shorter up to a barn. It was nice when it was new but after several years of high use its roughed up. Plus this winter really tore it up, it could actually be re-graveled but that's 10k of rock, my budget for repairs was $500.00 :errf:

So I'm fixing holes. :lol:

Tiger? I'm not sure but if he's willing to shovel, I'll haul it........................................................................with a 4-wheeler and lawn dump cart. :winky:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Woohoo! finally finished...

This next chapter was the best and i have based my sales strategy on from the beginning. First cd's i listened to were from this old dog named J Douglas Edwards, one of his famous lines were " When you ask that closing question .... YOU SHUT UP!"

Most of his lectures were old school closing type stuff from the 70's or 50's or something but for some reason i pulled this part out and made it my own.

Improvise- Basically train yourself to ask customers a question and then patiently wait to actually listen to their response, their specific response. When customers ask you questions pause and think about it, then give a response. SLOW DOWN, relax, and take a deep breathe... Usually people will give you a clue like its not in the budget or not right now, relax and improvise based on the answer. He also gives some specific phrases you can use like "YES, and...."

Great Book! turns out all of the sales part i have always been doing but will go back next week and work on the messages part a little more, my personal weakness. Specifically their is a section on email, lets face it snail mail is only a matter of time until the end.

*** Only negative? uses big words or made up words sometimes when its unnecessary.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I see Shane you are exhibiting the same enthusiasm I had when I read "The Cat in the Hat".

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can't even get my son out of the basement once he comes home from work. :winky:

People pay to go to gym's to work out, I have "work out" all the time and I don't have to pay. :biggrin:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I used to work out, run and bike when in my 20's and 30's, plus do my cleaning and farm work. Now I just do the cleaning and farm work.

Before long, all I will do is the farm work.

After that, I will die.

Back
Top Bottom