Plugin Updating - always good to do?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i am always hesitant to update my Plugins, thinking that it might be an unstable update and make my site crash.

realistic worry or should i just instantly update any Plugin that needs it??

tx!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
my webguy just told me to go ahead and update the plugins.

glitches don't happen too often i guess.

Name
Bruce
I would update them when ever there is an update. I wont use free plugins again , after awhile they aren't updated and the developer abandons the project. My last site was hacked because of out dated plugins , they were using my site to send out spam mail. I deleted every plugin I could find only to find out they were still using my site. I ended up deleting the entire folder and starting new.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Bad things do happen. Sometimes an update for one widget/plug-in will fix instabilities with it and the overall WP universe, but create a conflict with another plug-in that you have. Unless the update is critical to fix a serious flaw, cautious people will stay one generation behind the latest update to let others find the conflicts and work out a fix.

It's always good to check the WP forums to see what other users think. If reviews are positive, update one at a time so if something bad happens you know which one caused the problem.

Reactions: Derek

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
that stinks Bruce.

tx Bryan, good info. i will be a little more cautious moving forward because of that.

Back
Top Bottom