Portable Unit

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
It's an entry level truckmount which will not perform "well" in those scenarios but you have to start somewhere. I'd rather run it than a porty keeping it's limitations (1000psi max, #3 blower, etc) in mind.
You're right. It's a startup business, and right now a one man band. If it'll do the job and not provide exceptional results, that's one thing. But if it'll just barely get by... that's another... and based on the posts thus far.... I fear it's the ladder?

Mikey P

Administrator
lol.... the Rage is that bad?

It's not a bad unit, it just won't meet your over well researched expectations

The thing you need to realize is all those different scenarios you're trying to buy a truck mount for in the end you'll only achieve or reach maybe two of them which is fine but a cleaning company and a cleaning unit can't be everything to everyone.

I highly recommend you do everything you can to come up to Mikey's Fest next week for the weekend and you'll go home having saved 10 years of abuse from the School of Hard knocks by spending 3 days with some of the very best in the industry.

There's a $69 quality Inn down the street and all forego your entry fee if you can summarize there

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
It's not a bad unit, it just won't meet your over well researched expectations

The thing you need to realize is all those different scenarios you're trying to buy a truck mount for in the end you'll only achieve or reach maybe two of them which is fine but a cleaning company and a cleaning unit can't be everything to everyone.

I highly recommend you do everything you can to come up to Mikey's Fest next week for the weekend and you'll go home having saved 10 years of abuse from the School of Hard knocks by spending 3 days with some of the very best in the industry.

There's a $69 quality Inn down the street and all forego your entry fee if you can summarize there
I greatly appreciate the invite, and I'll certainly try to make it out there. Based on what I've shared, what unit would you recommend at under 30k?

Mikey P

Administrator
I greatly appreciate the invite, and I'll certainly try to make it out there. Based on what I've shared, what unit would you recommend at under 30k?
I'll just say this, your sucees is not based on the abilities of your truckmount.

But seeing that you want to work on it yourself, which is great and admirable.

If your OK with Propane get a TCS

If you are more comfortable with a heat exchanger find a slightly used Prochem Everest, or a Butler.

Mikey P

Administrator
and do all you can to get to the fest...

I was asked what makes a Mikey's Fest different from other events for the cleaning industry…

think of it this way...
It starts with something truly beautiful, the cleaning of a Ronald McDonald House.
A very humbling group endeavor where veteran cleaners, instructors, manufacturers, suppliers and most importantly, those who are new to the industry with wide eyes and open minds, work hand in hand to better the lives of families with sick children.
The win-win of it all sets the stage for the next three days in what can only be described as a very harmonious and loving family reunion.
The sharing of educational, anecdotal and inspirational goodness in a setting that has no dividing lines, and a neutrality that keeps us together as a group in a way no large event can ever accomplish.

It’s these days that have the ability to alter the path of new (and sometimes old) business owners in such amazingly positive ways.
One fest can save a decade of hard knocks and mispent earnings.
It’s been proven time and time again.

Which is why I still put these events on after 20 plus years..

• Love
Reactions: Bryce C

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm 100% with you on Honda engines... they last a very long time and are super reliable. For that reason, I am considering the Chief I, which has the Honda engine. However, it says it's 120,000 BTU's and I don't know if that's enough? I usually go by temperature at the machine, and obviously at the wand.... so I don't know what 120,000 BTU's means exactly as it relates to actual temperature?

On a similar note, the Chief I offers 331 cfm, and I'm wondering if this will be enough for runs of up to 200'?

Your points regarding propane are completely valid, and if possible I would like to avoid it too. However, there is a big price difference between the Chief I, and for example the Apex you are running, which really is out of price range for me. Is there unit that you would recommend? Something reliable, affordable, and that can provide good heat/suction?

On the topic of propane/diesel... The Chief also offers this Diesel version. While it still runs on a Kohler engine, which I'm not a fan of, I am very impressed by the heat and 495 CFM. The question here, however, is with respect to diesel. I called the company selling this and the gentleman said I would need a diesel vehicle for this to work. I'm confused, why does this need a diesel vehicle, whereas the propane is obviously good to go with separate propane tanks?

Thank you again!
The reason for needing a diesel truck to run the unit would probably to avoid using portable tanks inside the truck. The 120,000 BTU heater is ok but you may run out of heat using large flow tools. The 180,000 BTU will give you everything you need. More airflow is always better, especially on long hose runs. I would go with the larger unit if it's in your budget.

Reactions: alexcarpets

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I'll just say this, your sucees is not based on the abilities of your truckmount.

But seeing that you want to work on it yourself, which is great and admirable.

If your OK with Propane get a TCS

If you are more comfortable with a heat exchanger find a slightly used Prochem Everest, or a Butler.
I guess I don't mind the propane... definitely not as convenient as something like a PTO, for example, but beggars can't be choosers.... lol. When you say TCS, are yo leaning toward Chief I or II? I really like this setup I found on youtube, but am a little confused, because in the video he says he's running on gas, and my understanding is the Chief II is a propane unit. On top of that, he said the burner is diesel. How difficult would it be to get something like this setup, and run on the regular? The gentleman seems pretty happy with it, though I probably wouldn't go for the upgraded pump or blower unless necessary.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
The reason for needing a diesel truck to run the unit would probably to avoid using portable tanks inside the truck. The 120,000 BTU heater is ok but you may run out of heat using large flow tools. The 180,000 BTU will give you everything you need. More airflow is always better, especially on long hose runs. I would go with the larger unit if it's in your budget.
Looks like the 180,ooo BTU heater comes with the Chief 2. Is the heater external from the unit, or is it housed within the unit (ie: enclosed within what's shown in the image of the link provided)?
If I go with this unit, in addition to what's listed, I will need a propane tank and I should be good to go, right?
Finally, to confirm, the Chief 2 will be able to comfortably do carpet, tile/grout, and water extraction with ease? Or will it still struggle?

Edit: I can't seem to find any information on PSI for the Chief II??

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Actually, I’m trying to help him not go broke before he even starts. We’ve gone from a porty to a truckmount in a matter of days. Do you have the business lined up to justify the cost of a high level truckmount that will do water extraction. Do you even know you want to do water extraction just because a unit will preform it?

FredC

Village Idiot
Looks like the 180,ooo BTU heater comes with the Chief 2. Is the heater external from the unit, or is it housed within the unit (ie: enclosed within what's shown in the image of the link provided)?
If I go with this unit, in addition to what's listed, I will need a propane tank and I should be good to go, right?
Finally, to confirm, the Chief 2 will be able to comfortably do carpet, tile/grout, and water extraction with ease? Or will it still struggle?

The pump is capable of 2000psi....which you won't need
I believe the 4ht extreme is included which is also good to 2000 psi.
You would be able to high pressure clean with heat

The heater is external to the unit

basic chief I/II layout:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqTroZVKz8

It will "comfortably" do the things listed

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

The chief 2 will do everything well. The heater is a separate from the machine. I'm not sure if the pressure but the heater is rated for 2200 psi. Most truck mount pumps will give you at least 1000-1200 psi. Some a little more. You can confirm that with TCS. They should have everything you need, including a belly propane tank. Let them know the make and year of your van and they should be able to give you a quote on installation.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Actually, I’m trying to help him not go broke before he even starts. We’ve gone from a porty to a truckmount in a matter of days. Do you have the business lined up to justify the cost of a high level truckmount that will do water extraction. Do you even know you want to do water extraction just because a unit will preform it?
I do not have the business lined up, but here in south florida we get a lot of requests in the summer because of AC breakdowns. I have done water extraction before and wouldn't mind doing it as another revenue stream.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I do not have the business lined up, but here in south florida we get a lot of requests in the summer because of AC breakdowns. I have done water extraction before and wouldn't mind doing it as another revenue stream.
The Rage, the Titan 325, The Chief, all will do the type of water work you’re describing.
Don’t overthink this as most of us do starting out. I don’t know how many flood jobs I did with my Bane. More than I care to remember 😏

hogjowl

Idiot™
The chief 2 will do everything well. The heater is a separate from the machine. I'm not sure if the pressure but the heater is rated for 2200 psi. Most truck mount pumps will give you at least 1000-1200 psi. Some a little more. You can confirm that with TCS. They should have everything you need, including a belly propane tank. Let them know the make and year of your van and they should be able to give you a quote on installation.
TCS heaters have a max pressure capacity of 800 psi.

FredC

Village Idiot
TCS heaters have a max pressure capacity of 800 psi.

Chief II has a 4ht “extreme”

4ht comes in high pressure 1000psi and extreme 2000psi

IMG_2682.png

Looks like the 3ht has that option too

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The Rage, the Titan 325, The Chief, all will do the type of water work you’re describing.
Don’t overthink this as most of us do starting out. I don’t know how many flood jobs I did with my Bane. More than I care to remember 😏
Overthink?

Nah, I underthinked it when I started. I was too gung-ho and not even close to prepared. I wish these forums were around when I started. Heck, I didn’t even know what a forum was back in 2002

I suggest more thinking

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I don’t disagree with that. I probably misspoke using that word, but that’s questionable. However, trying to have your first truckmount do every service you can think of, is overthinking.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Chief II has a 4ht “extreme”

4ht comes in high pressure 1000psi and extreme 2000psi

Looks like the 3ht has that option too

I will be looking at going with the "extreme" if I go with this unit. That said I have two questions:

1) First question sounds dumb, but it's a genuine question for someone new to the industry. The previous poster mentioned 800 psi's as the maximum pressure capacity of the heater. Does the heater not heat the water up, only? Or does it have a dual function of heating the water, and pressuring is it to go down the hose and to the wand?

2) The second question is with respect to the "Little Giant" Heater. It mentions, "3.75 GPM (60° Rise)1.87 GPM (120° Rise)". That would mean that standard garden hose water going into the tank, and then through the heater, with an initial temperature of 50F, would only get up to 110F (@ 3.75 gpm) and 170F (@ 1.87 gpm). Is that the temperature going down to the wand? That seems really low. I think I may have missed a step, or have misunderstood the concept?

Thanks,

FredC

Village Idiot
I will be looking at going with the "extreme" if I go with this unit. That said I have two questions:

1) First question sounds dumb, but it's a genuine question for someone new to the industry. The previous poster mentioned 800 psi's as the maximum pressure capacity of the heater. Does the heater not heat the water up, only? Or does it have a dual function of heating the water, and pressuring is it to go down the hose and to the wand?

2) The second question is with respect to the "Little Giant" Heater. It mentions, "3.75 GPM (60° Rise)1.87 GPM (120° Rise)". That would mean that standard garden hose water going into the tank, and then through the heater, with an initial temperature of 50F, would only get up to 110F (@ 3.75 gpm) and 170F (@ 1.87 gpm). Is that the temperature going down to the wand? That seems really low. I think I may have missed a step, or have misunderstood the concept?

Thanks,

1. The heater only heats the water but the coils/plumbing are rated to 2000 psi

2. The 4ht has plenty of heat. You are going to be using much closer to 1.25 gpm than 3.75 . And that is constant flow which you will seldom use. In normal use you will get higher temps up to the high temp limit of the heater.

FredC

Village Idiot
Keep in mind that heat exchangers also suffer this drop as flow is increased to constant

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
1. The heater only heats the water but the coils/plumbing are rated to 2000 psi

2. The 4ht has plenty of heat. You are going to be using much closer to 1.25 gpm than 3.75 . And that is constant flow which you will seldom use. In normal use you will get higher temps up to the high temp limit of the heater.

Ah! The gpm flow was an oversight on my part. That said, even with a 1.25gpm that only brings the temperature calculation up to 170 F, which seems really low.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Question: Can I run the Chief II diesel in a NON-diesel vehicle? If I have to carry propane for the chief ii, might as well carry diesel instead and get the extra heat. Can I have a diesel reservoir and run in on a normal gas vehicle? Or, do I have to have a diesel van?
Also, would carrying diesel instead of propane, create any other complexities?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Question: Can I run the Chief II diesel in a NON-diesel vehicle? If I have to carry propane for the chief ii, might as well carry diesel instead and get the extra heat. Can I have a diesel reservoir and run in on a normal gas vehicle? Or, do I have to have a diesel van?
Also, would carrying diesel instead of propane, create any other complexities?
The main complaint I see on diesel is the operator smells like diesel exhaust at the end of the day. I say go with whatever has eaiest access to keep your tank filled

FredC

Village Idiot
Ah! The gpm flow was an oversight on my part. That said, even with a 1.25gpm that only brings the temperature calculation up to 170 F, which seems really low.
Again that is not the max temp. That is the temp rise at a continuous flow rate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom