Postcard size?

Connor

Name
Connor
I've not done the larger sized postcards, just the standard size, but I'll tell you what I think of them as a consumer and postal customer.

I judge them based upon the thickness of the card stock and how smooth the face is as to whether or not I give them a second glance. If it feels like quality, then I give them a look. IMO, the tactile sensation is the first barrier to overcome. I think that when you put a post card in the customers hand then you should put a sturdy quality card in their hand, because the post card is an extension of your product.

Even thought the larger post cards "stand out" in the stack of mail, I read them least, if at all.

They can build TOMA if looked at, but I,personally, don't give them much attention.

It makes them seem desperate and I see them as inconvenient and are the first ones I throw out as they take up too much room on the entry table. It makes me think that their business is all hype, "all show and no go", as if they are just a cardboard cut out and not the real McCoy. To me, a sturdy, quality post card = a sturdy, quality business.

If an oversized postcard had a hot topic or a significant one-time event that made me want to call IMMEDIATELY, I'd see them as a stand out value, but the dog eared, bent abominations that I get almost every week are straight into the trash.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Connor is right.

I would stick with the standard postcard because it adds legitimacy IMO.

Also the thickness and gloss means a great deal. Not a great "deal".

Although, an envelope it much more personal and can hold a business card, magnet, postcard, letter etc.

And they will surely look at that.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Prefer to switch it up from large,small, newsletter, color,black & white, email newsletter, thank you cards, etc.
Everybody absorbs information differently.

Becker

Name
Becker
Full color both sides is a given..

Think I settled on the 5.5x8.5

Want it to stick out in the sort.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Do they allow odd shaped post cards?

Like a star shape or heart shape etc?

That might be a cool thing to do.

Somebody's already thinking of having it in a GMC Van shape I'm sure. :roll:

Maybe Dollar Bill shaped? (not so odd)

Maybe hat shaped OR shoe shaped...Consider our demographic.

Hmmm

Shoe shaped "Are you tired of having to take off your shoes to keep your carpet clean? Let us show you a better way!"

Something like that.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
The the owner of the place I got my hearing aids says her test show 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 pull better than the small standard ones.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
How about day of the week?

My busiest phone day is usually Monday - should I have them drop on a Monday?

I have some extra jumbo postcards from 2 years ago that I am going to send out with the every door direct mail program. I can have them drop whenever I want. I know Weds around here is the "junk mail" day - wanna stay away from that, but the other week days should be good.

Catch'em on a Saturday before they run to Home Depot to p/u the rug doctor....... :lol:

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Ok, one last thing to consider. And I havn't mailed postcards directly. I do utilize a postcard deck that goes out to 25000 people 4 times a year. One thing I have noticed is that people will keep something that is handy to keep. I have had calls from postcards in that deck that were mailed over a year ago. Some people will keep it on their fridge and some will just leave it on the counter.

For immediate response I think a larger one may pull more custoemrs. For long term the smaller one would stick around the house longer.

G

getdusty

I prefer a jumbo card for lead gen. We've had several people comment that it just stood out. I've never compared our response rates to a 4x6, but I've heard a jumbo card typically pulls a 20% higher response. But it's also 50% more to mail.

Connor

Name
Connor
getdusty said:
I prefer a jumbo card for lead gen. We've had several people comment that it just stood out. I've never compared our response rates to a 4x6, but I've heard a jumbo card typically pulls a 20% higher response. But it's also 50% more to mail.

It would certainly be an interesting comparison to scientifically rate both sized post cards by sending the same message into your primary demographic split into two equal areas, with one area receiving the large post card and one receiving the smaller postcard.

You could do it by even/odd numbers. Let the odd street numbers have the larger and the even street numbers have the smaller. That way when a customer called, you'd know exactly which one received which post card just by their address.

Then you could try the same test in another part of town and measure your message there too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom