Powdered treatments vs liquid treatments

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Is the surfactants any better on one vs the other?

I have both a ph 12 on liquid and powder and several times the liquid seems to have a better punch.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Both types of products have most ingredients in common. Liquids may create more foaming, depending on the formulation.

In my experience, some liquids may have a higher percentage of solvent additives, which might be why you are seeing some performance difference.

One potential downside of liquid prespray products is the difficulty of removing them from the carpet. High percentages of solvent additives, especially d-limonene, can create oily residues that don’t readily leave the fiber, despite repeated flushing.

Likewise some of the “foamier” surfactants.

Over application with in-line sprayers only makes this condition worse.

The use of all purpose hard surface degreasers as carpet prespray creates this issue frequently as well.

I know that windows on wands can be a contentious issue, and I haven’t a vested interest in them either way, but they do reveal how much prespray residue we leave behind in both carpet and upholstery.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Both types of products have most ingredients in common. Liquids may create more foaming, depending on the formulation.

In my experience, some liquids may have a higher percentage of solvent additives, which might be why you are seeing some performance difference.
Foaming was only a problem if I used the liquid 100% as a spotter for removing the air filtration lines

But yes, there is a noticeable difference in how well neglected carpet cleans up when I use a liquid formula vs a powder. The major downside is it's more expensive because it goes faster, which is why having both is a good idea, and using it to spike the powder mixture has it's advantages

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If Mikey is giving you any kind of $encouragement to start theses DATS, he needs to reconsider.
That question has always been in the back of my mind about the differences between a liquid surfactant vs a powder surfactant. You can't ask any of the soap salesman of these products or they'll accuse you of trying to copy their formula, or just give a bs answer of "there's just more water in the liquid kind. That's the only difference".
Yes I had both of those answers given to me in the past whenever I was asking a reasonable question to them.

I also think that due to how much they push their powders, that there's more profit in selling that vs the liquid, which is a little crooked if the liquid is a better product.

I've used enough of these products in the last 20years of swinging the wand to start this thread. Go get another cup of coffee. Your recliner will stay warm

SamIam

Name
sam miller

One potential downside of liquid prespray products is the difficulty of removing them from the carpet. High percentages of solvent additives, especially d-limonene, can create oily residues that don’t readily leave the fiber, despite repeated flushing.

Likewise some of the “foamier” surfactants.

Over application with in-line sprayers only makes this condition worse.

The use of all purpose hard surface degreasers as carpet prespray creates this issue frequently as well.

I know that windows on wands can be a contentious issue, and I haven’t a vested interest in them either way, but they do reveal how much prespray residue we leave behind in both carpet and upholstery.
This ^ Any formulator will tell you, there's only so much solvency you can add to powders.

Ergo they sell liquid booster citrus ect ect.

Only a porty guy could tell the foaming difference cough cough cleanworks.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This ^ Any formulator will tell you, there's only so much solvency you can add to powders.

That's a good point. Truck mount only guys don't realize how foamy their products are but it's still clogging up your vac hose reducing your airflow. Porty guys are very conscious of foam as it comes spewing out underneath your machine while you're cleaning. Which is why I like Procyon so much. Zero foam using their Extreme prespray and their plus powder as a rinse. My supplier doesn't want to carry it anymore so I am thinking of ordering straight from the manufacturer. Not the most powerful products but I get great results. Maybe the odd time I need to boost the prespray. The phosphate rinse helps to remove old residues from the carpets.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That's a good point. Truck mount only guys don't realize how foamy their products are but it's still clogging up your vac hose reducing your airflow. Porty guys are very conscious of foam as it comes spewing out underneath your machine while you're cleaning. Which is why I like Procyon so much. Zero foam using their Extreme prespray and their plus powder as a rinse. My supplier doesn't want to carry it anymore so I am thinking of ordering straight from the manufacturer. Not the most powerful products but I get great results. Maybe the odd time I need to boost the prespray. The phosphate rinse helps to remove old residues from the carpets.
Well you can hear and feel loss of power

Name
Swani

There must be something to Encapsulation formulas also, because powdered Encap don't seem to cut it like liquid.

At Mikey's Fest one of the guys that has a product line was saying that there's certain products that can't be put into powder so they have to be made into liquid and vice versa.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I could write a tiresomely long post about additional pros and cons of powders versus liquids, but it’s Saturday morning and the swamps and woodlands await me.

Just find products that work well with your equipment and system of cleaning.

Vaya con Dios

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
There must be something to Encapsulation formulas also, because powdered Encap don't seem to cut it like liquid.

At Mikey's Fest one of the guys that has a product line was saying that there's certain products that can't be put into powder so they have to be made into liquid and vice versa.
I've heard that response from them also on the products that can only be powder or liquid. And that's ok. But going through all the advertisements on here, powders are pushed more than liquids, and I'm starting to see liquids being the better of the two.

And I'm certain that powders rinse out easier, since they originally are in a powder form and are more forgiving if a small amount is left behind. And if Jim is correct on the chemicals being more difficult in rinsing Which, on a totally different subject, the reason to turn up your pressure from 350 psi to 600 and bump up that 4 flow wand to 8-12flow can help prevent that problem

I agree with having both on the truck. But back to my original question: Is the liquid better than the powder? I'm thinking yes.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Back
Top Bottom