Powermatic Heating Issue

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
OMG! This is what you oil burners put up with? I haven't done anything to my WM HX in 8000 hours. This is almost worse that ending up in the next issue of Bane's Cleaning Time all burned to a crisp.
reactor_diagram.gif

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
I feel for you James... I was having the same problems with my Powermatic. I made 2 or three trips the mechanic who supposedly knew these systems inside out. I called Jeff at Steam Way Express in Zoarsville OH. Picked up one of his after-market flow switches and haven't had a single problem.

I went through the checklist of descaling, faulty generator, thermostat, fuel selinoid, transformer, loose connections, frayed wires, etc. Have you checked for a simple loose wire, blown fuse or something else generally overlooked? Sometimes the improbable is possible.

Give Jeff a call.
Bill

Jamesh921

Name
James
OK, here's the latest scenario.

I hooked the machine up and turned the knob to the warm-up position. At first, the heater did not kick in so I tapped on the flow switch. Bam! heater came on. So, I'll admit I "may" have a faulty flow switch.

I let the machine run in the warm-up position for a full 5 minutes and the temp gauge never got higher than 100 degrees. I thought maybe the temp gauge could be bad so I switched over to the "fill solution tank" position and put my hand in the tank. The water was warm but not hot at all.

I switched back to the warm-up position and the burner wouldn't kick on again. So, again I tapped on the flow switch, and after several taps the heater finally kicked back on. I let the machine run again for a full 5 minutes with the heater going full blast. Still, the temp never got above 100 degrees.

The burner exhaust pipe was obviously extremely hot, but the burner "tank" wasn't even warm to the touch. So now I'm stumped. How could the burner be operating (theoretically) properly but not heating the water??? Anybody know???

Thanks,
James

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamesh921 said:

I hooked the machine up and turned the knob to the warm-up position. At first, the heater did not kick in so I tapped on the flow switch. Bam! heater came on. So, I'll admit I "may" have a faulty flow switch.

I let the machine run in the warm-up position for a full 5 minutes and the temp gauge never got higher than 100 degrees. I thought maybe the temp gauge could be bad so I switched over to the "fill solution tank" position and put my hand in the tank. The water was warm but not hot at all.

I switched back to the warm-up position and the burner wouldn't kick on again. So, again I tapped on the flow switch, and after several taps the heater finally kicked back on. I let the machine run again for a full 5 minutes with the heater going full blast. Still, the temp never got above 100 degrees.

The burner exhaust pipe was obviously extremely hot, but the burner "tank" wasn't even warm to the touch. So now I'm stumped. How could the burner be operating (theoretically) properly but not heating the water??? Anybody know???

Thanks,
James

what did you descale with ?
PLEASE don't tell me vinegar or some other pi$$ water weak acid....

and buy the after market flow switch from Jeff.
It's a direct replacement.
Will take 20-30 minutes tops to change .

what fuel have you been burning in the burner for the 900 hours
PLEASE don't tell me diesel ....
Tell me you burn K1 kero

..L.T.A.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Hey Larry,
Yes I burned K1 Kero (no diesel ever) and a few times when I couldn't get K1 (after hours) I used camping fuel I bought at Wal-Mart.

I do plan on purchasing the replacement switch Jeff sells so's I'll never have to listen to another Steamway Rep tell me over the phone, "It's the Flow Switch". If I ever hear that phrase again I think I'll puke. And even if I DO have a bad flow switch this time, it doesn't explain my heating issue.

I used Hydromaster's Descaler. Is there any weak pIss acid in that? :p

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jamesh921 said:
I used Hydromaster's Descaler. Is there any weak pIss acid in that? :p

yea..used as directed it is.
I s'pose you got a little brown water out is all.
if you've never descaled in 900 hours, it's bad scale and will need double strength and long dwell

go for the gusto and use muratic acid
(don't use it double strength though)

give Jeff a call and let him walk you thru some trouble shoots.
The guy knows more about Steamways than the steamway engineers .

I'm telling you, I've known the guy a lot of years.
He won't sell you what you don't need, won't blow smoke up your azz , is a straight shooter and very easy to talk to.
He's just a damn good dude in general too!

..L.T.A.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I appreciate everyone who contributed to this thread. You guys have very helpful and I appreciate that.
I found the problem and yes, it needs descaled properly. Thank you for your help.

However, I want to point out (4th time), ONCE AGAIN (to everyone on this board and all the techs that work for and support Steamway around the world), that it was NOT the POS flow switch. But, I'm going to go ahead and order an aftermarket flow switch from Jeff now ----because you guys told me too --- and I hope it sits on my shelf never to be used. But hey, at least I have the comfort of knowing it's there if I need it.

Regards,
James

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Congrats James!! When your flow switch craps out on you, you'll have an excellent replacement ready and waiting.

Coincidentally, this week some scale broke free while I was cleaning and plugged my screens. Took forever throughout the cleaning to continually stop and rinse the screens clean, not to mention a little embarrassing. Guess what I'm doing today? Where there's smoke there's fire... :D

Bill

Reactions: Kxp

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Jamesh921 said:

Thanks,
James

James....is there so possibility that the air mixture intake was moved? It sounds like a wrong air/fuel mixture if it won't heat over 100*. The PM was burning too rich. I was having that problem last month when I was getting my old PM up and running.......it would heat, but only up to about 100-120*.....and the heater exhaust smelled to HELL with unburned kero. I talked to Meat and to Jeff at Steamway Express, and they set me straight on tuning that airflow mix. My PM now cranks right up to 240*+, and it gets there right away! Do give Jeff a call....he's very knowledgable about SW products. He's a dealer, and he's been around them for ever.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
[/quote]James....is there so possibility that the air mixture intake was moved? It sounds like a wrong air/fuel mixture if it won't heat over 100*. The PM was burning too rich. I was having that problem last month when I was getting my old PM up and running.......it would heat, but only up to about 100-120*.....and the heater exhaust smelled to HELL with unburned kero. I talked to Meat and to Jeff at Steamway Express, and they set me straight on tuning that airflow mix. My PM now cranks right up to 240*+, and it gets there right away! Do give Jeff a call....he's very knowledgable about SW products. He's a dealer, and he's been around them for ever.[/quote]

I forgot about the airband. That could also effect temps. Where do you set your airband? What length opening to allow air in? I imagine it could change some for altitude.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I need to call Jeff agian and get that flow switch.

I love My PM ( when it's running right). It's more a b!tch then a machine.

One nice thing about the PM is that once it’s properly descaled using an acid rinse every so often keeps it descaled.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom