Powermax on a greasy rental..

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
So cobbs powermax has been great on all residentials so far. I really like the stuff, I'm only on my second order though.

Well tonight I did a rental house that was kinda a greasy mess, everything came up pretty good except the greasy areas and they didn't come up well AT ALL..

It looked as if the guy worked as a mechanic or something and never took his shoes off. By where the desk was, was the worst, and around the bed.

My question is this, Is there something that I should be mixing with it on jobs like this? Or should I have a different prespray all together? A sledgehammer as people say.

Thanks...
Nick.

PS. I rinsed with endzone and then switched to White Lightning and still no good results.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you may have got a bad batch...I would use it on greasy places with no problems.I know the 30 pounds I got is just not cutting it like the last 3 or 4 I have gotten ......you can tell a big difference in it...this batch is already starting to harden up and it don't normally do that till I get to the end..and it has big lumps of orange things in it that don't want to dissolve....and it is not being sprayer friendly like it normally is....having troubles drawing it out.....

Rex Tyus

Maybe that is what happened to me. A bad batch? The first small container I got I liked really well. So I ordered a couple of big ass buckets. The more I used it the more often it didn't impress me.

No offense to any one but getting a "bad" batch is something that should never happen in my opinion. Consistency is what it takes to make it in the chem department for me. I want it to perform exactly the same everytime.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I fully agree...if I cant get consistency .....I get something else...you have to be able to completely depend on your chemicals to work the same every time....

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I did a nasty today after a 3 hour job in the morning. I added 2 scoops of accelerator and it melted the nasty stuff off. Or you can add more powermax for nasty compared to normal residential. Or bring out the 175 and amaze your customer.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I just ordered my first 45# of Powermax, never used it until now so i don't have a previous use to compare it too.

it's working great, But it is getting a little lumpy.

But I have had almost every brand/make of chemical ive used in the past "change" on me without notice... Different smell, consistency, wouldn't mix, and wouldn't clean the easiest carpet all of a sudden.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
What is accelerator? Can I get it from cobbs? I was also thinking of adding citrus solvent but it hasnt mixed well in the past for me, but may try it again.

Good to know that it usually works on greasy carpets, but I also dont like the fact of it "changing" and not working as well as the last time.

I just started using this batch so I'm definatly not giving up on it, there are so many factors that come into play. How many times has that house been cleaned and not protected, and what was it cleaned with.

So any other suggestions and I'll try em. Curious about that accelerator, never heard of it.

Name
George Valliant
At the price Dynachem is selling Powermax for I wouldn’t complain even if they sent me an empty bucket every once in a while.

Have you compared their prices to other leading powdered pre-sprays? Dynachem is half the price, smells twice as good, and works as good or better then any other powder I have ever used.

On those nasty shags just double the dosage and add some extra dwell time. Then thank the carpet cleaning gods you're not paying $180.00 a pail.

God bless Dynachem!

Rex Tyus

If I have to double the dosage and add some dwell time I think I will stick to the $180 a pail stuff thank you very much.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Whos duane? And prices are good but still dont want to order 40lbs and not have it work. Not that it doesnt, like I said this isnt a fair situation. I like the stuff very very much so far.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nick;

To answer your first question, I would mix it slightly stronger for heavy grease.

If you are getting any lumps forming in the powder, it is usually from excess moisture entering the drum.

I would take about 6# out and put into a wide-mouth gallon. Then reseal the plastic drum.

The all-stainless powder mixer we use is very consistent in mixing the components of the formulation.

Larry

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Excuse the blasphemy, but Cheeses RICE... DOUBLE the dosage of PM?? 2 cups per GALLON??

Yes It IS cheaper than Grease Eraser, and cleans just as good (So far) but when you price it at dilution rate, its almost neck and neck with the cost per gallon of grease eraser... but if you go any higher that 1 cup per gallon (For a pump up/electric sprayer) it is no longer cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PM so far.

Name
George Valliant
Rex Tyus said:
If I have to double the dosage and add some dwell time I think I will stick to the $180 a pail stuff thank you very much.

That is the exact same technique i use even with the $180 a pail stuff...

Out of curiosity Rex, what powdered pre-spray do you use?

Name
George Valliant
Ok, you guys want to get all technical on me? Let me go out to the truck and get my measuring cup and I will tell you exactly how many dry ounces I normally use vs. how many ounces I use on a freaking rats nest.

Chemiester? Are you kidding me? That craps smells like a skunk in heat. I tossed a full 6lb jar of the crap in the garbage. I thought it cleaned as good as it smelled too.

Standby, I getting my measuring cup now.

Rex Tyus

Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
That is the exact same technique i use even with the $180 a pail stuff...

Out of curiosity Rex, what powdered pre-spray do you use?

It depends on what I am cleaning. If I am gonna be cleaning something 10.7 ph worthy I will go head and hit it with a powerburst or powerbreak with a fraction of the dilution ratio it would take with powermax. Anything not requireing a jackhammer, Prozyme with a 9.5 to 10 and stable through the whole day is a very commonly used product of mine. I even use powermax if it ain't greasy and just needs a little sumpin sumpin. Those are the 10ish powders. I use a variety of liquids depending on the situation as well.

Name
George Valliant
This is how I mix my Cobb Powermax.

Normal soiled residential carpet: 16 dry ounces to a 7 quart Hydro-force sprayer (filled to the brim).
Dwell time: Whatever

Rat-nest carpet: 28 dry ounces to a 7 quart HF sprayer (filled to the brim).
Dwell Time: Whatever plus one smoke break.

Hey Cobb, is this dilition ratio ok for the 7 quart HF sprayer?

Ps. I use those little quart sized measuring cups from the paint department at Home Depot.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
THat sounds pretty good, thanks. how long does the 7 qt last you? how many jobs usually?

Also, I found duane and couldnt find the accelerator. His clean streak sure is powerful, anyone use that on anything?

I like the variety rex, may have to try some of those cuz silver bullet doesnt exsist.

Anyone 40 volume or SP on powermax? Just curious.

Still curious about the accelerator....

Rex Tyus

If I got consistant satisfactory results with that dilution I would be tempted to buy it in the 55 gallon size drum. If it is working for you at that keep it up. Don't pay attention to the nay sayers. Soil type varies by region. Happy hunting.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ummm i put it in a 10 gallon sprayer, and put in around 30 oz so 3 oz a gallon, and works for 90% of stuff...

did a redo job where i put it in at 8 oz a gallon and added 16 oz of 30 vol (they didnt have 40 in stock) to about 2.5 gallons, and ran a emulsifer with a deoderant (pet issues) and it still didnt fix the "greying" of around the furniture areas..it was a light beige freize type carpet...it was just plain worn there..not even the "wonder chem" peroxide touched it

some times its just worn or "dirty" to the point it aint gonna get better .

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The Magician said:
Get the accelerator from Duane

Hmmm. I see no Accelerator on my site either... :wink:

The two powders we make are CleanStreak and OneStep.

CleanStreak is a prespray and OneStep is an emulsifier.

You're probably referring to the CleanStreak.

There are no fillers in it, so it may "look" expensive, compared to some other powders. But the usage for it is the indicator of how concentrated it is.

It was designed originally for restaurants, but we have customers who use it on any damn thing.

And currently, it's freight- free for case quantities.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hey can someone tell me why the mfg dont just say "X" amount per 1 gallon of water??? instead of 1/2 cup here 1 cup there, maybe 2 cups over here....

fook the first time i got into the powdered mixes i was confused as hell about what to mix where...

so 1/4 cup would be 2 Oz per gallon right???

and give me a HF mix and a pump up/electric sprayer mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimP

Duane,

Does it have any O2 in it? Is it compatible with O2.....??? I see the dilutions are pretty low and priced well.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
1.) the ONLY way you could of known if another pre-spray (PS) would of been more effective on that particular carpet/soil, would of been to go mix a different PS and try it.

2.) HF (like all in-line sprayers) are an unreliable, inconsistent metering POS .
It's possible you were laying PS at an 8-1 dilution one spot and laying a 20-1 in another as solution temp raised or lowered
OR...NONE AT ALL if your solution temps were 180

3.) how the heck can a recommended dilution rate for a HF be 1/3 to 1/2 of what's recommended for electric or pump sprayer be as effective?
I think the reason they suggest the lesser amount is because of the difficulty of mixing powders at strong dilutions in a HF

4.) 4/5ths of the moon pies here that say "this or that" is great have never done any side by side evaluations on trashed rags.
They jump on the band wagon and parrot what everyone else says whether they have clue or not.
It's the bulletin board "de juor" phenomenon.
do side by side tests for YOURSELF and you'll know for sure what works best for "you"

lastly, who the heck cares what a PS costs ? (with in reason)
a guy can be penny wise and pound foolish.
The most important criteria to me when buying PS is efficacy first, resoil second and price third

if you want a sledgehammer, you'll be hard pressed to find anything more heavy hitting over a broad range of soils than Prochem Powerburst.
mixed at MAX and half (3 scoops "I don't CARE how much it costs" pr RTU gal) it will smash any rat hole to little bitty pieces.
Bridgepoint Powerbreak will smash them too, but I can't stomach the smell as it dwells

..L.T.A.

Farenheit251

I think enzyme presprays cut restaurant grease better than higher ph degreasers but on auto grease or oil the enzymes don't help and a high ph/high solvent degreaser is better.

Back
Top Bottom