pre-spray for super sensitive customers

matt sheppard

I need to send a MSDS sheet to an extremely sensitive customer. I've always used CTi's Pro-spray in the past for my sensitive and elderly customers but I was wondering if there was something even safer. Thanks.

Matt

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Procyon is a good choice. Sodiumtripolyphosphate if I'm not mistaken. Has no smell and cleans fair, not great but better than nothing.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Matt, what are your clients sensitive to?

Procyon and SoapFree do have a smell, they do not have an added fragrance. Procyon, however is GreenSeal certified.

When do you need to do the job, can you wait for the product and what line do you or your supplier carry?
There are a lot of different products and most (even green products) still have a 1 health rating.

Sometime by not pre-spraying, just cleaning with detergent in line (a little more work) there will be less smell and perceived issues.

BioKleen has good products, Jon Don has planet guard, Chemspec has one, Master blend has 'reponsible' care, Interlink etc.

Name
I'm Rick James
Whatever product you use, I would suggest that the customer not be there during the cleaning. The prespray does get airborne and if they are sensitive.. being green or not they will smell it. I would also use a fresh water rinse as well. Most people that I deal with in regards to this have issues with the Butyl odor, its very strong and if your not use to smelling it all the time, it will cause side effects.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'd say Procyon would get you in the clear for sensitivity. I've been using Slop & Gobble pre-spray, with a Procyon rinse.

Just pre-spray with Procyon and fresh water or Procyon rinse. Been doing it for many, many years.

Bob Foster

If its possible try and find out if they are reacting to the chemicals or the fragrances. Most of the time its the fragrances.

Even the ingredients on the MSDS sheet of the mildest pre-sprays will scare a customer. And no pre-spray manufacturer will offer written assurances that it will not cause some effects to people exposed to them.

There are quite a few pre-sprays on the market are odorless. I had a medical clinic that I just cleaned on Friday where fragrances were a concern to the owners. I used Judson Slop and Gobble because it was odorless and cleaned extremely well on a commercial glue down.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I took a clean spotting towel and sprayed it down with my Procyon. I then left it with an office employee that was concerned about sensitivity. It didn't give her any problem, so we cleaned with no problems.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Find out what laundry detergent she uses ..use it as pre-spray and rinse with clear water

Explain the similarities of CCing chems and laundry detergent to her and how they'll be acceptable as long as you rinse VERY thoroughly .
Then tell her you'll use the same laundry detergent she already "knows" she can tolerate

By doing that, you take as much of the risk out as possible

..L.T.A.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I like the laundry detergent idea. We usually use planet guard.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
CTI sells a soy based liquid Pre-spray.

Its so hypo allergetic you could probably pour it on your breakfast cereal in the mornings or serve it on the rocks (shaken not stirred of course).

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
side note, BE SURE to flush lines before you start cleaning

depending on the TM's plumbing and heat system, you can have a substantial amount of cleaning solution already in the system from your last job
It may not be "just" in the solution line

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the laundry cleaner idea seems to be the best to me
You could even use 20 Mule Borax, most people recognize that as a safe cleaner.

You could explain to her as well that not ALL ingredients are listed on MSDS, and what she may react to may not be listed there.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I cleaned with Procyon for years. I really didn't have much problem using it ... as far as cleaning ability. Only cleaning problem I encountered with it was grease ... but I never used it on restaurants anyway. I did have to be careful not to get it on wooden furniture, because it would leave white residue on it. I would use Procyon today if I had a local supplier.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Procyon has no smell, dyes, soaps or detergents is hypo allergenic and all natural. I use it exclusively it cleans as well as any other product I have used and better than some. I use the liquid Extreme for my normal every day cleaner and the powdered Plus for hevy soil works fine for me as long as you have a decent amount of heat. I'll also add a qt of Extreme to my stock jug and meter at 2 - 21/2 GPH if I need a little extra punch. I explain to my customers before about not having any fragrence and if they want I'll add 8oz's of lemon fragrence to the Hydro Force. I have never had any complaints.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
RGH269 said:
Procyon has no smell, dyes, soaps or detergents is hypo allergenic and all natural. I use it exclusively it cleans as well as any other product I have used and better than some. I use the liquid Extreme for my normal every day cleaner and the powdered Plus for hevy soil works fine for me as long as you have a decent amount of heat. I'll also add a qt of Extreme to my stock jug and meter at 2 - 21/2 GPH if I need a little extra punch. I explain to my customers before about not having any fragrence and if they want I'll add 8oz's of lemon fragrence to the Hydro Force. I have never had any complaints.

Procyon has a smell, a pretty strong one like say.................... TSP.
It does not have an added fragrance.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
We're going to assume NONE of you knows her condition and what does and doesn't effect her
We're going to assume she has GENUINE reactions to lots of things.
We're NOT going to assume that a product that's benign for most every one, will be for HER.

Now pay attention
ANYTHING you bring into the home will concern her.
ANYTHING she's unfamiliar with MAY cause a reaction

This ain't my first rodeo

Find out what laundry detergent she uses and tell her you'll use that.
It will put HER at ease and you as well... cause if you listen to anyone but ME on this thread, she just might be choking on her tongue gasping for air before you leave

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Erskine Allin said:
We're going to assume NONE of you knows her condition and what does and doesn't effect her
We're NOT going to assume that a product that's benign for most every one, will be for HER.

Now pay attention

It will put HER at ease and you as well... cause if you listen to anyone but ME on this thread, she just might be choking on her tongue gasping for air before you leave

..L.T.A.

I'd agree with Larry on this one......people that have a "perceived" sensitivity will probably have a reaction if you use something that they don't already use. (I'm sure that there are those that do have a sensitivity to any chems).

I just did an apartment for a company that requested a no-chems cleaning for a smell-sensitive renter before they moved in. I told them what to expect with no pre-spray and fresh water rinse, but with the heat and flow, it cleaned up well. The renter just happened to stop by to check on my cleaning, and he was smoking a cigarette. Go figure.

OK Lee.....end of thread!

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
OK this is the last time I'll say it I use Procyon every day I do not smell anything. I have used Bridgepoints green products which do have somewhat of a smell as you described Ofer and Axiom which also has a smell and dye to. I've smelled a lot of chems in the 20 years of doing this and Procyon is the only one I've ever used that I couldn't smell.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
rwcarpet said:
Erskine Allin said:

Now pay attention

..L.T.A.

I'd agree with Larry on this one......people that have a "perceived" sensitivity will probably have a reaction if you use something that they don't already use. (I'm sure that there are those that do have a sensitivity to any chems).

I just did an apartment for a company that requested a no-chems cleaning for a smell-sensitive renter before they moved in. I told them what to expect with no pre-spray and fresh water rinse, but with the heat and flow, it cleaned up well. The renter just happened to stop by to check on my cleaning, and he was smoking a cigarette. Go figure.

OK Lee.....end of thread!

Jesus. This is the main reason I use Grease Eraser, There is but a feint frangrance, (not like Tide or All or Gain or whatever totally inappropriate laundry detergent you are thinking of trying) but the main cleaning ingredient is phosphates which are safe for human consumption and indeed are used in food processing ingredients. I don't know what they do in food, but we eat them and they are safe for our consumption and they clean real good. I've been breathing this stuff in for many years now, safely and confidentially and even the most chemically sensitive custys said they noticed nothing when it is atomized during the PS process.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
(not like Tide or All or Gain or whatever totally inappropriate laundry detergent you are thinking of trying)

Art, put the plug in the jug.
or at least stay sober long enough to think for a minute ... :roll:

"she" must be be using "something" to wash her cloths .
She "knows" it doesn't bother her...and so does the CC'er (and "she" knows he knows that too now)
Whether her sensitivities are real or "imagined", the cleaner has covered so very important bases.

if her sensitivities are "imagined", it might not matter if he sprayed distilled water down, her eyes might start watering and she'll start coughing .
You do know that psychological miladies can cause physical problems, right??
anxiety/panic attacks are an example, so are hives

Why take that chance on a person with "known" problems ?? REAL or "imagined"

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom