Pretty sure Jim was conceived on this Davenport..

Mikey P

Administrator
Didn't Lee's Ed York sponsored journeys take him through Central CA?

IMG_20200703_095446.jpgIMG_20200703_095643.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'd like to think I was born in early 70's when they started working together, but that's over 10 years too late buddy.

I was already cleaning carpet, rugs, upholstery, and stripping and waxing floors by the time they met.

Damn....I'm getting old

Reactions: Numero Uno

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim..I believe getting older is way way
Better than Not getting older

As long as Bob Vawter and Keith Richards remain, I have hope for tomorrow.

Seriously, I hit 61 in a few weeks, and never feel it ...until I look in a #(%&* mirror.

You young kids have a fun Independence Day. I'll be somewhere beyond cell range by sunrise tomorrow.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
As long as Bob Vawter and Keith Richards remain, I have hope for tomorrow.

Seriously, I hit 61 in a few weeks, and never feel it ...until I look in a #(%&* mirror.

You young kids have a fun Independence Day. I'll be somewhere beyond cell range by sunrise tomorrow.
I still feel like I’m in my 20’s, until I start hanging out with 20-year-olds

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Why was that?

what crook lived there during the '70s

Not a crook....a brilliant, likely bipolar, megalomaniac, with the speaking skills of a televangelist and the cold blooded calculation of a robber baron who saw the cleaning industry as deserving a better place in the business world than where it was placed.

Ed York

Mikey P

Administrator
Not a crook....a brilliant, likely bipolar, megalomaniac, with the speaking skills of a televangelist and the cold blooded calculation of a robber baron who saw the cleaning industry as deserving a better place in the business world than where it was placed.

Ed York

What in the hell was he doing living in the armpit of California?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
His reasons might be known by those who stood closer to the altar than did I.

He taught me a lot but I kept my distance and surely avoided conversations with him.

I know that it was the home of his supply house, Steam Services.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Steve Lawrence
What in the heck were you doing in Fresno California?
Went to Fresno to Steam Services to hear Lee P. speak on disaster restoration. (This was when Steve Brandt was president of Steam Services and before he became president of Hydramaster.) It was my first CC class and this 29 year old was very hungry for info. (Started my biz when about 23 with a Von Schrader--fun times but very little cc info was available.) So glad I went. Was great to rub elbows with other cleaners, etc. Learned about Grandi Groomers and much other good stuff. Lee was great in the class and we even had lunch together one day. Ed was crazy as usual. It was fun hearing Ed talk, too. I remember something about the "peanut butter method" of cleaning carpets, LOL! Ed was attempting to divest us all of "steam cleaning religion" or something like that. Even Desk Jockey (Richard) took the same class when Lee went his way during his educational travels. Hey Jim P.! Did dad have you working yet?

After Fresno went to San Fran for a few days to find out what that city was about and to chill out. The wharf was the best!

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Went to Fresno to Steam Services to hear Lee P. speak on disaster restoration. (This was when Steve Brandt was president of Steam Services and before he became president of Hydramaster.) It was my first CC class and this 29 year old was very hungry for info. (Started my biz when about 23 with a Von Schrader--fun times but very little cc info was available.) So glad I went. Was great to rub elbows with other cleaners, etc. Learned about Grandi Groomers and much other good stuff. Lee was great in the class and we even had lunch together one day. Ed was crazy as usual. It was fun hearing Ed talk, too. I remember something about the "peanut butter method" of cleaning carpets, LOL! Ed was attempting to divest us all of "steam cleaning religion" or something like that. Even Desk Jockey (Richard) took the same class when Lee went his way during his educational travels. Hey Jim P.! Did dad have you working yet?

Yes. I first assisted him in cleaning carpet in a commercial job in 1968; mostly filling and emptying buckets of solution and being a general "gopher". Sitting on his scrubber to add weight on difficult floor stripping jobs was my favorite though.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Yes. I first assisted him in cleaning carpet in a commercial job in 1968; mostly filling and emptying buckets of solution and being a general "gopher". Sitting on his scrubber to add weight on difficult floor stripping jobs was my favorite though.
When I first got into the business we were using scrubbers and wet vacs. We used to always give the little kids rides on the scrubbers. Probably get sued if we did that today.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Just for the record, I lasted about 2 years with Von Schrader, then one of my customers said "Is that all there is"? while pointing at the machine and what it was (and wasn't) doing. I seriously began looking at something better and settled with Deep Steam portables (bought 2) and that lasted a couple years until we got our first TM in 1979--got tired of lugging heavy equipment every job. It was one of John Sales first units, I think. A #2 blower and a Hotsy pressure washer that we had to plug into the customer's outlet each job. Pretty antiquated but way better than what we were doing. BTW, I don't think that customer ever called us back after a lame VS job. I don't blame her.

Reactions: Cleanworks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
As long as Bob Vawter and Keith Richards remain, I have hope for.... tomorrow.

Ummmm...I can't even remember when I was 61.....of course same thing
About breakfast today.....
61.....damn Jim.....yor still a kid.....wit
Your dad's Gene's you'll beat Richards all to hell.....I'll sen ya flures!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
64 now Bob.....but I'll still be watching the sunrise out of cell range tomorrow....
So then......you haven't even had yor 1st heart attack yet?.....they give you morphine along wit a dilada drip and you tell all the nursees how pretty they are....

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SamIam

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Amusing and historically insightful...Steve Laurence sure hope your ok and doing fine...Bob you ol cuss...Ed (was) quite the character. Jim you were right, he would spend hours talking on a phone...I had a few very long chats with him back then ... An of course any talk of Lee, reminds me of Ludlow Mass ,with you .Prochem 10a or something ? But as I turn 64 this year .All I can say is god bless all ...Past or Present they got us to the goal line ... None of us grew up dreaming to do what we do. But as John Donne wrote there are two paths. We all chose the seldom taken route...An what a ride it was ! {health disclaimer-Get your prostate checked and live!-promise me } Regards to All !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom