Prevent moss & algae or mold growth on brick & stone surfaces

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I've been pressure washing on/off fer long time. You might consider learning that skill and taking the mystery out of it. I'm also spoiled, I can throw my 1800 psi washer on board and it plumbs right into my propane heater (it's a pressure washer heater). I do 3 to 5 of those jobs per year effortlessly. It can me done quickly, low pressure and fast without chemicals. What's gonna be the long term effect of those chems in the soil?
Client has used other guys with the "blast away" mentality in the past & is now seeking a smarter better solution...I guess thats why they turned to me.

I have plenty of experience pressure washing but wanted to learn & share with others moss regrowth control, sounds like your not interested in learning that skill nor what it means when high end clients tell you to keep their home looking perfect year round inside & out & warned against damage caused by pressure washing, streaks & not wanting noise.

Name
cameron demille
I've been pressure washing on/off fer long time. You might consider learning that skill and taking the mystery out of it. I'm also spoiled, I can throw my 1800 psi washer on board and it plumbs right into my propane heater (it's a pressure washer heater). I do 3 to 5 of those jobs per year effortlessly. It can me done quickly, low pressure and fast without chemicals. What's gonna be the long term effect of those chems in the soil?

A link was posted to one of the products. You can read it here: http://www.bonstone.com/products/d2/

biodegradable, neutral, and spec'd for a lot of stuff. Blasting the shit out of stuff with water gets it off the surface and that's about it. There's not a whole lot of skill to it and you can cause a lot of irreversible damage to masonry, brick, concrete, limestone, travertine, etc.

TanMan

Supportive Member
Name
Tanner
I would like to talk to you with our rep so we can get you the best product and the safest to help you out. Please call me @ 1-650-345-5050

Thanks, Tanner

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

I can somewhat see your point under certain conditions, but I am not sure if this is a good example.

Based on the pictures, and enough hours behind a lance to know, this job would clearly be a PIA to maintain by frequently blasting it.

Irregular flatwork with pavers with soft joints warrant a slow pace, and having that many adjacent soil beds spells MUD, especially with what I am sure would be shitty drainage.

There would most likely be more time spent pushing muddy water and displaced organic solids all over the place, and playing
"clean-up" than the time spent effectively removing the mold.

Pwing a area like this got "extended time" written all over it, not hit-n-run.

That's huge area with tons of detail work needed if you look closely.

An attempt to find an effective means of preventative maintenance, and cut down on the PW frequency is a no-brainer.......especially if the customer seems so willing to pay for it.

Reactions: Jim Nazarian

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I can somewhat see your point under certain conditions, but I am not sure if this is a good example.

Based on the pictures, and enough hours behind a lance to know, this job would clearly be a PIA to maintain by frequently blasting it.

Irregular flatwork with pavers with soft joints warrant a slow pace, and having that many adjacent soil beds spells MUD, especially with what I am sure would be shitty drainage.

There would most likely be more time spent pushing muddy water and displaced organic solids all over the place, and playing
"clean-up" than the time spent effectively removing the mold.

Pwing a area like this got "extended time" written all over it, not hit-n-run.

That's huge area with tons of detail work needed if you look closely.

An attempt to find an effective means of preventative maintenance, and cut down on the PW frequency is a no-brainer.......especially if the customer seems so willing to pay for it.

Exactly...Mud & mess is a huge concern along with blasting out mortar because I would get blamed for any missing & would need to replace\match missing mortar & thats not something I want to do even if the mortar was long gone.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Maybe it's because I live in the desert and moss is non-existent here, but I find the moss on the pathways charming.

A big concern of mine is all of these chemicals leaching out into the planters and killing off the landscaping along with the moss. Salt and Bleach will both kill vegetation, even if just splashed onto them.

What about some sort of sealer on the surfaces? Is there one that contains inhibitors that won't leach out all over the place? Otherwise I would bow out because I sure as heck would not want to pay to re-landscape for him.

Take care.
Lisa

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Maybe it's because I live in the desert and moss is non-existent here, but I find the moss on the pathways charming.

A big concern of mine is all of these chemicals leaching out into the planters and killing off the landscaping along with the moss. Salt and Bleach will both kill vegetation, even if just splashed onto them.

What about some sort of sealer on the surfaces? Is there one that contains inhibitors that won't leach out all over the place? Otherwise I would bow out because I sure as heck would not want to pay to re-landscape for him.

Take care.
Lisa

Its slippery, extremely slippery on the stairs & around the pool when wet with our work shoes on, you would be on your ass if wearing dress shoes.

Most of the areas have good borders that protect the landscaping, I would take precuations where overspray or runoff was a risk.

Sealing is too big of an unknown, will it help? I just don't know at this point, I would have to prove its effectiveness to myself before I can sell it it to a customer, maybe do a test area & see the results after a year...probably not worth the cost.

IMG_0206.jpg

Last edited:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Is the grout sand or cementious? If the grout is permeable I am worried about the chems percolating down to the roots of the trees and large shrubs below.

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Is the grout sand or cementious? If the grout is permeable I am worried about the chems percolating down to the roots of the trees and large shrubs below.

Take care,
Lisa

Looks like cement.

All of these product instructions tell you to pre wet plants\grass that may get sprayed & rinse off after, IMO product reaching plant\shrub roots is slim to noon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom