Preventative Maintenance on Van.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
With the January slow down coming in NE Ohio, I was thinking of doing some preventative maintenance to the '03 Chevy van. It's still running good, with 99000 on it this week. After reading some of the posts of Chevy van problems after 100000 miles, would any of you change out the fuel pump on the van, knowing that it's days are limited? I figure I will have some down time come Jan, and can run the tank down to near empty. I always keep it full for cleaning. I'd rather change it out when I'm not busy, rather than have to tow it in from some break down on the road with a full tank of gas (40 gals)

Crazy???

Connor

Name
Connor
No, now is the time to do it. I used to drive an 95 Silverado 2500 (company truck) with 275k miles on the original engine and transmission. The shop had all the GM recommended service recommendations done when they were supposed to. The truck was a 454 with an auto transmission. The next guy that drove it after I left never took it in for service, it started having problems shortly thereafter. Never have I seen an original GM auto transmission go so far.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
i sure wouldn't change the fuel pump "just because"

and i believe it was the 98 thru 00 that were notorious for fuel pump failures

..L.T.A.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Mike Draper said:
yep, changed 2 on mine. 4 or 500 a pop. And I did the labor :shock:

I don't mind doing the labor when I'm not busy. It just that the pumps go out with no warning. I helped my son change his out on his 2000 Chevy, and the biggest problem was what to do with a full tank of gas. Once it's down and out from the frame, it pops right out. I take some longer trips out of town for insurance jobs, and I don't want to be suprized by a FP failure.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Mike Draper said:
yep, changed 2 on mine. 4 or 500 a pop. And I did the labor :shock:

Owww, Mike....I just priced out a fuel pump........$400+. You would think you could just buy the pump without all the extras.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I cut a hole in the van floor so the pump could be changed without removing the tank etc and etc.

Of course you have to know where to cut the hole.

Mine is a Ford, pump is less than $200.

Mike Draper

my lexus I just sold was 20 yrs old, 275,000 miles. Still had the original fuel pump in it. Not one electrical component went bad other than the alternator.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
I cut a hole in the van floor so the pump could be changed without removing the tank etc and etc.

Of course you have to know where to cut the hole.

Mine is a Ford, pump is less than $200.

Lee.....I tried to convince my son to cut a hole in the floor of his van, but he wouldn't bite. I'd like to do that to mine, but I think the genesis is sitting right over the access.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Its really not that bad of a job to lower the tank on those. Provided its not full. As far as changing it now.. My '98 had over 200k before it needed one and my 99' is on 147k and still going strong. But if you decide to change it, dont get a cheap aftermarket one. Get either a dephi or a reputable brand. I was in a pinch on my '98 and bought one at pep boys, had to change it again after a year.

Back
Top Bottom