Pro1200se

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So @Nomad74 warned me!

Fuel pump, and fuel sensor problem.

I got a engine code! And the van was running a little off! Like idling rough.

So I take it to Mitch who’s guy runs a diagnostic test. Just not as though as the dealership.

Ends up resting the computer and says fill it with gas when the check engine light goes on you’ll know what gas tank sensor is bad!

Also the alternator was running 15 amps or bolts. To hot.

They said get a new alternator.

I have a mechanic that I’ve used over the years whose done great work!

He replaced the battery, and spark plugs and said the alternator was ok just running a little on the high side.

So I ran the truck one and a half days.

And the rpm are going up and down. And a bad sulphur smell start coming out.

The machine never ran bad before.

But you can hear pitch change when it running.

I’m guessing my guy trying to be a hero may have used to much carb cleaner and damaged the catalytic converter.

I had that happen years ago on another small commuter car.

I’m taking it to the dealership Monday and with 38k miles I believe it’s just out of warranty.

I hope it’s not what I think.

But it jerks at stops but runs fine when driving.

Hope it’s just a sensor and fuel pump related and that guy didn’t melt the catalytic converter!

When I told him when the check engine light went off, it’s the half tank to 1/4 tank censor, he’s said where’s that?

Ummmmm

I’am not a mechanic!

Lastly I’m pulling the shaft shield, the dog house and making it easy for the dealership to work on this!

I do prefer slide ins seriously no van sitting running 5-6 hours a day cooking!

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ps I love the machine but 20k miles they replaced the fuel pump 38k I don’t know what’s wrong!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Ps I love the machine but 20k miles they replaced the fuel pump 38k I don’t know what’s wrong!
The GM fuel pump can't take the heat the 1200 puts out. The exhaust blows out under the van cooking the fuel pump over time. The gas tank should be kept full at all times to keep the internal fuel pump cool. A bad GM design flaw.

Sorry you gotta deal with this Sam. I feel your pain.

My chevy express lost it's fuel pump while driving down a steep grade. I had no brakes or power steering when the engine turned off. It was a really scary ride. I took out a stop sign, my front windshield, and my passenger side view mirror before I could get the van stopped. I felt like I was flying a brick. Scared the piss out of me.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
My fuel pump went out on job site.. dealership replaced it for free. Said it was a voluntary recall of sorts. This was several years ago on a 2013

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
There were some fuel pump recalls. I know starting 2010 and 2011 were for sure in it.

It was the wiring harness to the fuel pump. The maker didn't put in the correct connectors so they were getting hot from the electrical current situation.

If they replace the fuel pump, make sure they replace the wire harness coming to it (which was important part of recall if I remember)

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

scotty747

I don't think the carb cleaner would hurt the CAT. O'2 sensor probably but you'd get a rich or lean code. Check the AIC as well if it has one. A vacuum leak will make it do that as well.

hogjowl

Idiot™
So @Nomad74 warned me!

Fuel pump, and fuel sensor problem.

I got a engine code! And the van was running a little off! Like idling rough.

So I take it to Mitch who’s guy runs a diagnostic test. Just not as though as the dealership.

Ends up resting the computer and says fill it with gas when the check engine light goes on you’ll know what gas tank sensor is bad!

Also the alternator was running 15 amps or bolts. To hot.

They said get a new alternator.

I have a mechanic that I’ve used over the years whose done great work!

He replaced the battery, and spark plugs and said the alternator was ok just running a little on the high side.

So I ran the truck one and a half days.

And the rpm are going up and down. And a bad sulphur smell start coming out.

The machine never ran bad before.

But you can hear pitch change when it running.

I’m guessing my guy trying to be a hero may have used to much carb cleaner and damaged the catalytic converter.

I had that happen years ago on another small commuter car.

I’m taking it to the dealership Monday and with 38k miles I believe it’s just out of warranty.

I hope it’s not what I think.

But it jerks at stops but runs fine when driving.

Hope it’s just a sensor and fuel pump related and that guy didn’t melt the catalytic converter!

When I told him when the check engine light went off, it’s the half tank to 1/4 tank censor, he’s said where’s that?

Ummmmm

I’am not a mechanic!

Lastly I’m pulling the shaft shield, the dog house and making it easy for the dealership to work on this!

I do prefer slide ins seriously no van sitting running 5-6 hours a day cooking!
Don’t blame all direct drives. You’re the one idiot who listened to Mikey.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Don’t blame all direct drives. You’re the one idiot who listened to Mikey.
Ashley loved his a couple other guys loved theirs.

Then Ashley sold, Cranmore sold.

And my first fuel pump died at 20k miles.

I love mine.

I personally don’t believe any vehicle running 5-7 hours a day while sitting still is good!

They’re designed to move with air flow for cooling.

Sitting cause premature heat death!

That’s why most direct drive companies flip them every three to five years.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Lastly I wasn’t able to get another 570 in California.

And a 650 at 32 k was way to much for what I do.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I will be keeping the gas tank full and use a blower at the front of the truck for airflow.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ashley loved his a couple other guys loved theirs.

Then Ashley sold, Cranmore sold.

And my first fuel pump died at 20k miles.

I love mine.

I personally don’t believe any vehicle running 5-7 hours a day while sitting still is good!

They’re designed to move with air flow for cooling.

Sitting cause premature heat death!

That’s why most direct drive companies flip them every three to five years.
That's why Butler modifies the cooling system. I have a Hydramaster 4.2 in 2000 Chevy Astro van as a back up. I've run it 5 hours straight many times. Never over heats, no heat related problems. On other hydra masters I've had, summer time, we would run a flood fan blowing at the grill on long jobs.

Reactions: SamIam

Chris A

Name
Chris
I had those symptoms at around that mileage turned out to be fried spark plugs and wires, I leaned on Sapphire and got them to cover the cost of new plugs and wires for both vans, bc mine didn't have the heat sheilds on the wires, which probably don't do shit either

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I had those symptoms at around that mileage turned out to be fried spark plugs and wires, I leaned on Sapphire and got them to cover the cost of new plugs and wires for both vans, bc mine didn't have the heat sheilds on the wires, which probably don't do shit either
Ya we changed spark plugs and wires

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You run a fan at the truck now to help?

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
AquaTech''s used a spacer to move the fan closer to the rad. Cleanco probably carried it over to their line when they bought out AQT.
That works real well. The blower/exhaust that was routed thru the van floor pointed straight down to the ground. I installed a 90° elbow and ran a section of marine wet exhaust pipe to the rear of the van to help eliminate heat buildup near the fuel tank.
Works well.

steve_64

I pop the hood on larger jobs in the summer on both the butler and WM. It lets the heat out so it isn't cooking everything under the hood. I still have some heat related issues though too.

scotty747

Chuck Yeager killed his sister with a shotgun. Him and his brother playing with dads gun. I almost did the same thing as a kid. Idiot brother playing with a shotgun I didn't think he would load. Still haunts me to think I reached for the trigger to prove it was unloaded.

• Wow

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I pop the hood on larger jobs in the summer on both the butler and WM. It lets the heat out so it isn't cooking everything under the hood. I still have some heat related issues though too.

I mentioned popping the hood and my guy said better to leave it closed with a fan blowing at front of truck to allow it cool down under the truck too,
Said all the air would just go out the engine and not cool the underneath.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
AquaTech''s used a spacer to move the fan closer to the rad. Cleanco probably carried it over to their line when they bought out AQT.
That works real well. The blower/exhaust that was routed thru the van floor pointed straight down to the ground. I installed a 90° elbow and ran a section of marine wet exhaust pipe to the rear of the van to help eliminate heat buildup near the fuel tank.
Works well.
This sounds like a good helpful tip

FredC

Village Idiot
Chuck Yeager killed his sister with a shotgun. Him and his brother playing with dads gun. I almost did the same thing as a kid. Idiot brother playing with a shotgun I didn't think he would load. Still haunts me to think I reached for the trigger to prove it was unloaded.
I think the brother did the actual shooting

Reactions: hogjowl
Name
Eric
I have an older CDS in a old Dodge van. I live in the Southwest and the heat has been 100+ all summer. Lately on bigger jobs my Transmission Temp light has been coming on. I need to remember to put a fan underneath.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Going back through the years since I've been involved in my (then) dad's business, until now, I dunno why we stuck with direct drives as long as we did. I've only kept buying them due to familiarity...

98 cds 4.7-engine ran at 2700 rpm, constant revolving door of roasted spark plugs, alternators, etc, and the van was junk by 65000 miles

2004 cds 4.8- 2500 van ate tie rod ends and front end parts for breakfast, don't remember too many issues with the van engine but didn't have it that long.

2009 cds 4.8- wasn't aligned right at the beginning, chewed through serpentine belts, then 10 years of slow heat related injuries, water pumps, transmission rebuilt twice, 10 sets of spark plugs...

2015 and 2016 pro 1200s-. More of the same, one unit has 60000 miles/3000 hours, the other 50000/1600. It's just inherent I think with how the trucks get ran...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom