Prochem Oil-fired heater HELP

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Old 100 A kerosene heater has a temp. control switch that the bulb end screws into the heater coil. It has two fittings that screw together with 2 brass inserts that look like washers with a slit in them. One of the fittings has stripped and needs to be replaced. The bulb end is connected to the thermostat with solder to(whatever you call the long copper wire) and there is no way to disassemble the thermostat to remove the fitting.

So, since the bulb end simply soldered on, does it just slide off if I heat up the solder, or does this whole control switch come as an assembly, fittings and all?

Sorry if this is hard to understand, can't really take the switch off for pics until I get a replacement.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Call my office tomorrow (800-342-2297) and ask for me. I'll get the you to my head service tech, who has worked for me since 1978 and knows those units inside and out.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It is all one assembly do not try to take it apart. If it is bad then you replace the whole thing. You should have talked to Jim's guy by now so I am sure your taken care of already.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Thanks to Jim Pemberton and Mr Bane, his knowledgable service guy. To those who have the opportunity to have them in their area to supply service and supplies, I am envious.

For the record, in case some poor soul should have this problem, the part I needed was the capillary union, part #12800391. This assembly consists of 2 brass fittings, 4 brass washers with a slit, and a rubber plug that acts as a seal. The rubber plug and smaller set of washers will be pushed into the larger fitting so that it appears to be only 1 piece and impossible to remove. You need to remove those parts from the inside of the fitting and the whole deal will simply slide off the end of the bulb.

I found a temp. replacement until the kit arrives at lowes by using a 1/2" flared fitting. Seems to work OK for now.

Again, thanks to Jim Pemberton and his crew for their knowledge and willingness to help with my issue. They not only gave their time and knowledge freely, but saved me at least $300 I would have spent had I ordered the whole unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom