Propane or Diesel?? Which ones Cheaper to use?

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
I have a custom built TM with a diesel heater and have been wondering if I should change it out for a Little Giant Propane heater? Diesel is $4 a gallon and propane around $2 depending on time of year. My question is even though there is a $2 difference in price do they burn the same? If I run my TM for a hour am I going to use the same amount of diesel as I am propane or is the usage completely different because one is liquid and one a gas? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
28 people have looked at this thread and no replies. Come on guys help a brother out. If my figures are correct we are using 1/2 gallon per hour of cleaning. I am really interested in knowing how much propane you guys use per hour of cleaning to see if the savings would be worth spending the $$ to convert to LP.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
28 people have looked at this thread and no replies. Come on guys help a brother out. If my figures are correct we are using 1/2 gallon per hour of cleaning. I am really interested in knowing how much propane you guys use per hour of cleaning to see if the savings would be worth spending the $$ to convert to LP.

Most here are lurkers and afraid to say chit... Those that comment on anything may skip commenting on you, because it seems like you just joined and they wana know more about you before helping out.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Regarding your fuel consumption questions- I would just look at the different heater's manufacturer specs. and get the data on how much they consume. I think your incoming water temps could also make a difference how much fuel needs to be heated up to the right temp.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Actually I've seen Joe before under another name, in fact he and I have talked truckmounts in the past. But unfortunately I have no other inputas I've never run kero or propane

steve_64

i just dont know. and hello joe im steve i own carefree carpet cleaning in niles.

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
I have been on the board for a long time but under my own name. I hadn't posted in awhile so when I went to log in I couldn't remember my stuff so I just redid it under the business name. Hey Steve, get ahold of me sometime as I have a small retail store here in Mishawaka where I sell CTI, DSC, Fab Pro, and Hydro-force cleaning supplies and chemicals. I just moved into a huge building and I am expanding the store and am going to be having IICRC classes next year. I'll PM you my number.

steve_64

thanks joe, i will give you a call sometime.

its good to hear youre growing, i know you have been around a long time. you have a good reputation from what ive heard from customers.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I grew up in nearby Coldwater Michigan, you are both in my old stomping grounds.

I have a 440k btu Kero unit that we only use occasionally. Nothing touches it for brute steam power, I love the rumble when it fires.

However, if I were starting from scratch I'd lean toward propane for the simplicity.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
propane doesnt stink like diesel/kero....

it burns around 1 gal an hr....but that is totally dependent on how many BTUs you are pushing through.

Maint is a ton easier on propane...and cheaper

hydracat

i can fix almost anything on my firebreather in 5-10 min. I love the simplicity and heat but you'l never get rid of the stink.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
you may find you break even by the time you figure out fuel used and price/gallon
Diesel here is $1.40/litre which translates to $5.29/us gallon
Propane is 0.75/l or $2.83/gal
I can work for a little over 10hrs, thats LG at 3/4's, and a Kohler running , for about $50-60
Its clean, doesn't smell, easy to maintain. The only maintenance I've had to do in 4.5yrs to the LG is to clean the jets.
I had a kero boiler on my old truck. The temp was inconsistent, spiked up to 240 then fell to 180. It was noisy, belched black smoke, more parts, needed 12V to operate. I've heard other guys have much better boilers but I returned that one at a loss, and installed HX'ers and was much happier. But I've no complaints about the LG. Biggest challenges have been "me" ie maintenance with the jets. Les' video solved that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom