pto/ slide in questions

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I live in South Florida, not sure if we have water issues here?

I'd like to have the water tank (90 to 100 gal.) in the vehicle for piece of mind at least. We have parking constraints and the box truck, unfortunately, will not work. For that reason I'm looking at the Sprinter base model, mentioned in my earlier post, with the 4 cylinder diesel, or the GMC 3500 with the 4.3L V6 (v8's are hard to find). I've done the math, and shared specs in my previous post and am wondering if either of these will suffice?
I run my Apex in a Savana 3500. I have a 90 gallon fresh water tank. It's a regular wheelbase. Easy to drive and park. If you go with a diesel truck, you will have to install some type of gas tank for the cleaning unit. In Florida, the 4.3 liter should be ok. Not like you're in the mountains.

Reactions: alexcarpets

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I run my Apex in a Savana 3500. I have a 90 gallon fresh water tank. It's a regular wheelbase. Easy to drive and park. If you go with a diesel truck, you will have to install some type of gas tank for the cleaning unit. In Florida, the 4.3 liter should be ok. Not like you're in the mountains.
Funny you should mention the Savana 3500 as I test drove the extended wheel base 3500 today. Also, because it's extended, it has ~200 lbs less payload capacity than the regular wheel base. Do you have the V6 or V8?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Funny you should mention the Savana 3500. I drove the extended wheel base today. Also, because it's extended, it has ~200 lbs less payload capacity than the regular wheel base. Do you have the V6 or V8?
I have the 6 liter V8. My Astro vans have the 4.3l V6. One has around 285,000 kilometers on it, still runs great. About 200 HP. In a Savana, it won't be a rocket ship but should be adequate

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I have the 6 liter V8. My Astro vans have the 4.3l V6. One has around 285,000 kilometers on it, still runs great. About 200 HP. In a Savana, it won't be a rocket ship but should be adequate
Are the Astro vans with the 4.3L V6 running the Apex as well? What size are your fresh water and recovery tank in those?

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
No, I'm running a Hydramaster cds in it. No fresh water tank. 100 gallon waste tank. It's a lot lighter than my Apex setup.
That's the thing though, this Apex alone is 1400 lbs, and when I did the math, the weight will be almost 3200 lbs. I'm not expecting to drive like an F1, but I just want to make sure that I'm not over working the engine. I think of it as kind of like the rpms on a car. It may be capable of 8000 rpms... but I sure as heck would't be driving a vehicle at even 6000 rpms all the time because it's asking too much of the engine itself. The body itself (suspension, brakes, etc...) not too concerned about. I just don't want to be in a position where I'm buying a brand new vehicle, to find it can't do what I need. I might be completely overthinking it though, because ultimately I'm not a Chevy/GMC engineer, and they obviously rated the vehicle to 4100 lbs, with both engine options (V6 and V8).

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Funny you should mention the Savana 3500 as I test drove the extended wheel base 3500 today. Also, because it's extended, it has ~200 lbs less payload capacity than the regular wheel base. Do you have the V6 or V8?
I run a GMC 1 ton 3500 extended Savanah V8-6.0 with...
2-100 gallon over the wheel well water tanks and a large truckmount behind the seats.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I'm at a fork in the road and would appreciate feedback. I'm trying to buy a vehicle, and the two front runners are the 3500 (GMC or Chevy... same thing), and the Sprinter. Both vehicles are rated to just north of 4000 lbs payload capacity, with the GMC/Chevy having a gas powered V6 (v8 is out of stock), and the Sprinter having the 4 cylinder diesel. Saw both cars and I like the Sprinter MUCH more. The only challenge is the Sprinter is diesel powered, and the Apex 570 TM is gas powered, so a traditional fuel tap will be a no go. I have two questions on this:

(i.) Which vehicle is better equipped for my setup (Apex 570 TM, with 100 gallon fresh water tank, 90 gallon recovery tank, 250' hoses, electric hose reel, driver, etc.... all totaling approx 3300 lbs)

(ii.) Is there a way to setup an external fuel source in the Sprinter to feed the Apex 570, while also being DOT compliant, and above all, safe?

What are my options? The GMC/Chevy is very hard to come by, and I like the Sprinter more. What else should I be aware of that I'm possibly overlooking?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
[post deleted]
Hey Alex, you're doing very deep research in choosing the tm/van setup. I can tell you're a little OCD on getting the right tools for the job.

Let's take a break from the tools part. What's your plan of attack on getting the business rolling? How do you plan on getting customers? What's your current job that you do? Can you use that as some leverage to get your business going?

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hey Alex, you're doing very deep research in choosing the tm/van setup. I can tell you're a little OCD on getting the right tools for the job.

Let's take a break from the tools part. What's your plan of attack on getting the business rolling? How do you plan on getting customers? What's your current job that you do? Can you use that as some leverage to get your business going?
The plan of attack for getting customers is boots to the ground door-to-door sales, flyering, advertising on the web, etc. As for currently, I am unemployed. Actually got laid off, immediately after the birth of my new born, and that was the final straw that said I need to make a change in my life. My family friend retired after 25 years in the carpet cleaning industry and he said it would be worth a try. I did some ride alongs and while its definitely different than what I'm used to, it's a necessary change.

With respect to your remark on being OCD. I think it's important to differentiate between between OCD, and doing due diligence. The van/TM setup will likely cost a pretty penny, and I want to ensure I don't make a silly error arising from lack of research. I lean on experts, like yourself, who have been very informative, and helpful, in sharing a wealth of knowledge and helping me navigate through those unknown waters. And with that, I owe you, and and the other forum members a big thank you for your continued guidance and support. I can not thank you guys enough, or express my appreciation in a simple message. I thank you all immensely!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The plan of attack for getting customers is boots to the ground door-to-door sales, flyering, advertising on the web, etc. As for currently, I am unemployed. Actually got laid off, immediately after the birth of my new born, and that was the final straw that said I need to make a change in my life. My family friend retired after 25 years in the carpet cleaning industry and he said it would be worth a try. I did some ride alongs and while its definitely different than what I'm used to, it's a necessary change.

With respect to your remark on being OCD. I think it's important to differentiate between between OCD, and doing due diligence. The van/TM setup will likely cost a pretty penny, and I want to ensure I don't make a silly error arising from lack of research. I lean on experts, like yourself, who have been very informative, and helpful, in sharing a wealth of knowledge and helping me navigate through those unknown waters. And with that, I owe you, and and the other forum members a big thank you for your continued guidance and support. I can not thank you guys enough, or express my appreciation in a simple message. I thank you all immensely!
We have something in common: I was unemployed when I started my business also. Only I got fired from 🖕off my boss at the car dealer I sold cars at because it was a crappy car dealership. I got a small job shortly after to help pay bills during my beginning stages of the busieness. So If I survived that, you certainly can!

So, until you get busy in the business, I suggest getting a part time job, unless you have a $cushion saved up.

And I truly wish you the best. You're already ahead of the game because you have this forum to help you get started. I wish I had a group of guys here to help point me in the direction needed.

Pounding the pavement selling is #1. Get you face out there and shake as many hands as you can. Let them know the owner is doing the work and not some stranger.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Have you looked into getting a Fox truck mount?

Their website sucks but I think fox has a great reputation. They're known for their APO setup. Their setup doesn't use a recovery tank, so you get more room in the van

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
We have something in common: I was unemployed when I started my business also. Only I got fired from 🖕off my boss at the car dealer I sold cars at because it was a crappy car dealership. I got a small job shortly after to help pay bills during my beginning stages of the busieness. So If I survived that, you certainly can!

So, until you get busy in the business, I suggest getting a part time job, unless you have a $cushion saved up.

And I truly wish you the best. You're already ahead of the game because you have this forum to help you get started. I wish I had a group of guys here to help point me in the direction needed.

Pounding the pavement selling is #1. Get you face out there and shake as many hands as you can. Let them know the owner is doing the work and not some stranger.
I really appreciate your support and words of encouragement. We're all in this journey of life together and I feel blessed to have you and the forum members!

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Wanted to circle back to this post and provide and update on additional research. I had a chance to look into the Transit, Sprinter, and Chevy/GMC 3500. I do like the Sprinter the best now that I've seen all options.
The Apex 570 obviously runs on gasoline and the Sprinter runs on Diesel. For this reason a traditional fuel tap will not work. I want to safely, and legally (ie: DOT certified) be able to power the 570 in the Sprinter and all research I've conducted lead me to a bunch of sites on how to add additional diesel fuel tanks to the Sprinter, and this does not address the problem I'm trying to solve. Is there a way to safely, and legally, do this? If so, who would I contact in South Florida for this purpose? Are there any drawbacks to such a setup?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Nate W.
Wanted to circle back to this post and provide and update on additional research. I had a chance to look into the Transit, Sprinter, and Chevy/GMC 3500. I do like the Sprinter the best now that I've seen all options.
The Apex 570 obviously runs on gasoline and the Sprinter runs on Diesel. For this reason a traditional fuel tap will not work. I want to safely, and legally (ie: DOT certified) be able to power the 570 in the Sprinter and all research I've conducted lead me to a bunch of sites on how to add additional diesel fuel tanks to the Sprinter, and this does not address the problem I'm trying to solve. Is there a way to safely, and legally, do this? If so, who would I contact in South Florida for this purpose? Are there any drawbacks to such a setup?

Mike did his Sprinter build..

hogjowl

Idiot™
Man, those things have really gone up in price in the 20 years since I bought mine. Which are still in everyday use, by the way.
I bought them because the maker was Mikey approved (that week), but I didn’t let Mikey’s fickle nature cause me to change my opinion of him after Mikey moved on to a new butt licker. And yes to your next question, it’s just a personal preference. Although, let me say I owned a box filter before buying my Dev’s and it was harder to clean out. Nothing major, just different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom