Question about polyester carpet.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I have to love big box stores like home deopt. I am seeing a higher and higher percentage of polyester in residential homes. I don't mind the stuff in rentals because I just use aggressive cleaners on it.

Remembering my carpet cleaning certification class polyester doesn't have acid dye blocking protection in it. Does this mean that using high ph cleaners on it wont' hurt it in any way?

I have been using citrus boosters when there is oil from garages and kichens but would be more interested in finding a pre-spray that would work better out of the jug without having to boost it with the now expensive citrus boosters. I am also concerned the citrus could be leaving some residue because it is very hard to rinse.

SO my question would be, Is there a high ph aggressive pre-spray that won't damage polyester carpet and would rinse extremely well? I use cobbs stuff daily btw.

K P

Not to much out there that is going to "hurt" this stuff.They were doing alot of blending in the past..70/30 nylon/polyester but with advancements in "feel" there are alot more 100% poly.Your biggest concern with using a higher ph prespray is getting it all out to prevent wicking.Adding citrus is ok because it is an oil loving fiber,just add a little emulsifier to your rinse and you will remove most of the residule.The best thing you can do is prequalify with the customer before hand so they know there is only so much that can be done in wear areas.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Olefin is more attracted to oils than polyester. I use to use citrus boosters but ditched them a while ago. I hate polyestyer carpet . I have found that high heat and flow work best on polyester or large amounts of aggitation. I think boosting your pre spray is really a waste of time. I like pros choice extreme clean. does great on olefin and polyester plus I think has a built in solevent so no need to boost. dilutes at 2 oz per gallon so mega economical

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
The use of polyester by the carpet mills is he single worst thing the industry has done to turn consumers off of carpet and onto tile, stone, wood and laminate flooring. It used to be that a decent nylon carpet would last 20-40 years and still clean up well, just be out of style. Now all of these polyesters and polyester blends are lucky to go a year before breaking down in the traffic areas.

Thanks, Carpet Mills, for killing our business by caving to mega and franchise retailer's demand for ever cheaper product, using inferior polyester, and then blaming our equipment/chems/techniques for your crappy, dulling, matting carpet problems....and creating the CRI/SOA program to make money off of the whole fiasco. :roll: Ivebeensold :shock: :oops:

Take care,
Lisa

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
truckmount girl said:
The use of polyester by the carpet mills is he single worst thing the industry has done to turn consumers off of carpet and onto tile, stone, wood and laminate flooring. It used to be that a decent nylon carpet would last 20-40 years and still clean up well, just be out of style. Now all of these polyesters and polyester blends are lucky to go a year before breaking down in the traffic areas.

Thanks, Carpet Mills, for killing our business by caving to mega and franchise retailer's demand for ever cheaper product, using inferior polyester, and then blaming our equipment/chems/techniques for your crappy, dulling, matting carpet problems....and creating the CRI/SOA program to make money off of the whole fiasco. :roll: Ivebeensold :shock: :oops:

Take care,
Lisa
amen sista :lol:

S

sam miller

juniorc82 said:
Olefin is more attracted to oils than polyester. I use to use citrus boosters but ditched them a while ago. I hate polyestyer carpet . I have found that high heat and flow work best on polyester or large amounts of aggitation. I think boosting your pre spray is really a waste of time. I like pros choice extreme clean. does great on olefin and polyester plus I think has a built in solevent so no need to boost. dilutes at 2 oz per gallon so mega economical

Extreme clean has a high PH and lots of D-Limonene no need for citrus booster

http://proschoice.com/Extreme_Clean_MSDS.pdf

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I have used both extreme clean and clean streak. Both used on restaurants. I agree they do clean well. Which do you think rinses best to prevent resoiling due to residue?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Ron Werner said:
Isn't polyester solution dyed so the dye is in the plastic itself. If so it will be very hard to damage the colour from a high pH cleaner.

Yes. The damage I encounter with polyester is not from cleaning, but just normal traffic. Scratching and premature degradation of the fiber and matting and pooling in the traffic areas, which leaves a dulled and dirty appearance, even if the carpet is actually clean.

Take care,
Lisa

PCCN

I came across CHemeister products left in a used truck I bought 8-9 years ago. I haven't looked back since. Like everybody else, I tried everything the salesmen hawked but for pure dependability I have stuck with Grease Eraser for my prespray. Unless I have a REDICULOUS amount of auto or kitchen grease caked on the fibers, this stuff has been a lifesaver. They don't advertise and I have seen 2 price increases in the last 5 years. I like dealing with small companies like them and they seem to stay on top of the market if you ever have a question. Yea, you do have to shake it well in warm water to disolve, but I never doubt the outcome.

Name
steve snail
truckmount girl said:

Take care,
Lisa

Excuse me....seems like only yesterday I was ragging on polyester and saying what self-respecting carpet cleaner would own that stuff. Greenie came back at me, and I'm thinking you said with 6 kids and a dog, it's the only thing you would own, because you cleaned it often. eh?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Steve in Omaha said:
[quote="truckmount girl":3m0n1ozh]The use of polyester by the carpet mills is he single worst thing the industry has done to turn consumers off of carpet and onto tile, stone, wood and laminate flooring. It used to be that a decent nylon carpet would last 20-40 years and still clean up well, just be out of style. Now all of these polyesters and polyester blends are lucky to go a year before breaking down in the traffic areas.

Take care,
Lisa

Excuse me....seems like only yesterday I was ragging on polyester and saying what self-respecting carpet cleaner would own that stuff. Greenie came back at me, and I'm thinking you said with 6 kids and a dog, it's the only thing you would own, because you cleaned it often. eh?[/quote:3m0n1ozh]

Nope. You're thinking of olefin. I have and love, olefin berber here for almost 20 years. Polyester and olefin wear entirely different, especially olefin loop.

Take care,
Lisa

Name
steve snail
truckmount girl said:
[quote="Steve in Omaha":26n47oz4][quote="truckmount girl":26n47oz4]The use of polyester by the carpet mills is he single worst thing the industry has done to turn consumers off of carpet and onto tile, stone, wood and laminate flooring. It used to be that a decent nylon carpet would last 20-40 years and still clean up well, just be out of style. Now all of these polyesters and polyester blends are lucky to go a year before breaking down in the traffic areas.

Take care,
Lisa

Excuse me....seems like only yesterday I was ragging on polyester and saying what self-respecting carpet cleaner would own that stuff. Greenie came back at me, and I'm thinking you said with 6 kids and a dog, it's the only thing you would own, because you cleaned it often. eh?[/quote:26n47oz4]

Nope. You're thinking of olefin. I have and love, olefin berber here for almost 20 years. Polyester and olefin wear entirely different, especially olefin loop.

Take care,
Lisa[/quote:26n47oz4]

Olefin blows just as bad, if not worse...would never have that harsh feeling loop in my home. Does not crush??????????

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Steve in Omaha said:
[quote="truckmount girl":188okwto][quote="Steve in Omaha":188okwto]

Excuse me....seems like only yesterday I was ragging on polyester and saying what self-respecting carpet cleaner would own that stuff. Greenie came back at me, and I'm thinking you said with 6 kids and a dog, it's the only thing you would own, because you cleaned it often. eh?

Take care,
Lisa[/quote:188okwto]

Olefin blows just as bad, if not worse...would never have that harsh feeling loop in my home. Does not crush??????????[/quote:188okwto]

Nope, I LOVE my oly berber. It has been installed here 19 years in March, seen four kids, two foster kids, tons of dogs, cats and other pets, been abused and neglected...Now the pad is dust under it in the traffic areas, so that is pretty crushed, but the rest still cleans up nice. It's not that harsh, but it isn't carpet you wanna have sex on!

Take care,
Lisa

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Yes polyester is always solution dyed. It can't be acid dyed. You could have a polyester nylon blend that is partially acid dyed

leesenter

idreadnought- polyesters are not acid dyed and are not always solution dyed. They are often dyed with disperse dyes at very high heat.

Ace- I was once at a a mill I won't mention out of fear of reprisal. I was on the floor examining a loop/cut 50-50 mix of viscose and linen. I was stunned. I said to a guy who works there "wow, look at this stuff" (and I meant OMG!!) and the guy said "yes isn`t it wonderful! I have it in my bedroom!"

S

sam miller

The only good olefin is berber because its such a thick loop the crushing is less noticeable and they do clean up well.

leaving a high ph on the arpet doent always cause a wick ovewetting does! get it dry and You wont have a problem!

it may resoil from residue but thats a different story! I would say getting it looking clean is priority one. so extreme clean or any high ph prespray with a citrus boost and premium detergent will work. Rinsing is for those getting paid to do it.

if its light to moderate soil Ill rinse with an acid side rinse! depends on what condition the carpets in.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the wicking is caused from improper technique. we mainly use the rotovac on poly because of the extra agitation. Both poly and olefin will show off your bad technique quick. If they cause lots of redo's from brown lines or wicking stains blame yourself not the fiber.

gene

Back
Top Bottom