Question and help. Gm 6.0 engine.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
My express with the 6.0 v8 is running rough. The oil pressure gauge has been stuck on 80. Sometimes it bounces arround.
I have put a gm techII machine on it.. and it says it cannot read pressure...

Could it just be a sensor or do you think the oil pump is going bad??? An oil pump costs as much as an engine swap..

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Step #1, buy oil pressure sensor
Step #2, replace oil pressure sensor

Most likely the sensor because the gauge will typically default to 0 psi when it fails or receives no signal. Since you are reading 80 PSI when running, your wiring and gauge are most likely OK.

If you want to be really sure, install a T fitting in line with the sensor and add in an aftermarket cheepo mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
176K Jezzz, I wouldn't spent any more on that motor.

Swap motor's if everything else is still solid or just look for something with lower miles to move into.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's tough Joey, what a about checking with the salavge yard and seeing if the have a low mile one available. Might be cheaper that screwing around with repairs on the old one.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Low oil pressure might, but your valves should make enough clacking noise for that to be obvious. If there isn't a problem with the sender or the dash electronics, the high reading may indicate a sludge build-up.

We've had to replace some of the oddball GM oil pumps in our 6.0s, but they always showed 10psi or less. We were quoted around $600 for dealer replacement, covered by warranty until 100k.

F

FB7777

Had the opposite 2 years ago on my 2000 Chevy Van high pressure that blew oil filter off in my garage overnight... Pump valve was stuck

Replaced oil pump and cleaned out sludge from oil pan

$550-600 repair

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I've always ran mobile 1 since I bought new.

Do you think that helps?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
images
This is the 'high volume' GM oil pump. It fits over the front of the crankshaft and requires some disassembly of the front of the engine to replace, which is why the repair cost is so high. Synthetic oil eliminates sludge problems but won't cure design flaws like this one.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i was wonderin i have one heck 176 i will be thrilled to get that out of mine.
i had a cousin in houston had butlers he had those engines with over 300 on them
pretty stout engines but they drove 80 a year on them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom