Question for the old timers

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Are sites like Groupon going to ruin our industry? OR when the economy gets back rolling these sites will go away and be a thing of the past?

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
I don't like the term "old timers", and that being said long term clients, and there friends and family are what keeps things rolling. Newbys use every thing you can...
I still don't understand the groupon thing

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I'm not an "old timer" by any stretch of the imagination.

And like my young mate Watto, I ask, what's Groupon.??

Is it something like we used to have called a groupie, back in the sixties??

Back then everyone was on, or off. shiteatinggrin

Hence groupon ?? Getting it on, or off ?? :oops:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Jtuseo said:
Are sites like Groupon going to ruin our industry? OR when the economy gets back rolling these sites will go away and be a thing of the past?

I anticipate it will be bought or merged with another company. The IPO went as expected but the share price is below the offering price. According to Forbes and Fortune magazines 90% of the people who place an offer do not return. I do not think it is a sustainable business model.

Keep in mind Winston Churchill's comment: "When you are going through Hell; keep going."

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Studebaker said:
I don't like the term "old timers", and that being said long term clients, and there friends and family are what keeps things rolling. Newbys use every thing you can...
I still don't understand the groupon thing

Couldn't agree more............

Chris A

Name
Chris
billyeadon said:
Jtuseo said:

I anticipate it will be bought or merged with another company. The IPO went as expected but the share price is below the offering price. According to Forbes and Fortune magazines 90% of the people who place an offer do not return. I do not think it is a sustainable business model.

Keep in mind Winston Churchill's comment: "When you are going through Hell; keep going."

Our decision on whether to do it again will probably not be until a year or so from now when we see how many clients we can actually retain. Right now were making a profit off the groupon, but it's a hell of a lot of work for very little profit... if we don't retain. We mail to our custys 6x per year.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My feeling is it's a fad, one that's seen it's peak. It's already lost it's uniqueness with all the clones, even the local newspapers have their own version.

It may be with us for quite a while but it's strength as a marketing vehicle continues to lose the impact it once had.

We can all work cheap and fight to barely make a dollar on our own. Who really needs the help of Groupon to work their way out of business. :p

Now I have to qualify myself in that we have never used Groupon but at one time thought very seriously about it. My comments come from market studies I'm done....well OK, it's not exactly a study...my sister inlaw used Groupon quite frequently for a year or so and now she no longer does. So it is at the conclusion of this powerful market study I make my judgment. :mrgreen:

Name
Lee Stockwell
billyeadon said:
Jtuseo said:

I love that quote Bill!

Groupon will weed out some cleaners, and will just be a footnote in history.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
A guy in my area is doing 2 rooms for $35.00 with a living social. (He gets $17.5 per job)

He's have to do 20 or more jobs to net what most cleaners get for an average job.

(Gas alone must be 10 bucks per job)

Good way to work yourself into the poorhouse.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Re: Question for the old timers

Royal Man said:
A guy in my area is doing 2 rooms for $35.00 with a living social. (He gets $17.5 per job)

He's have to do 20 or more jobs to net what most cleaners get for an average job.

Only bb bullshitters are averaging 20 times that Dave. Also you are assuming no add on work or topical treatments. I don't plan to use the half off products but I understand they can work for some- chris adkins did okay with it and Brian is the Groupon Queen lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

Ken Snow said:
[quote="Royal Man":12hcc8jm]A guy in my area is doing 2 rooms for $35.00 with a living social. (He gets $17.5 per job)

Only bb bullshitters are averaging 20 times that Dave. Also you are assuming no add on work or topical treatments. I don't plan to use the half off products but I understand they can work for some- chris adkins did okay with it and Brian is the Groupon Queen lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/quote:12hcc8jm]

With no ad ons he would be netting 5 bucks per job at best.

20 times would be $100 bucks.(minimum charge for most here)

GRHeacock

My opinion- coupons and discounts are mainly for newcomers to the business who need customers any way they can get them, or large operators with 10 or more trucks that need to keep a lot of employees busy.

Single O/O with an established business don't need them.

Gary

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I think it's a crappy fad that is hurting carpet cleaning and house cleaning as well. Pretty much a 21st century coupon/pennysaver ad for cheapskates and tirekickers. It's my prediction that groupon and livingsocial will eventually not do business with carpet and house cleaners because of the poor work/customer service and refunds they have to give back. These are comments I've been reading on yelp.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Big time marketing companies agree that if you can discount your regular price more than 15%, your regular price is BS that no one should pay. COIT runs 30% to 50% discounts constantly, their phones don't ring if they don't offer the dicount. I guess you can fool some of the people some of the time though. If you discount your price by Groupon's 75% you'd better have a good plan to break those customers away from Groupon. Otherwise you're killing your own credibility to chase zero-loyalty coupon clippers.

I can't imagine working with a sketchy company that is willing to cheat and change the rules to boost their own profit, so if I had a good plan I'd be more likely to work with Living Social, amazon, or any company that has better reputation.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

GRHeacock said:
My opinion- coupons and discounts are mainly for newcomers to the business who need customers any way they can get them, or large operators with 10 or more trucks that need to keep a lot of employees busy.

Single O/O with an established business don't need them.

Gary
I agree- I would never use it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chris A

Name
Chris
The biggest plus we saw was the ability to compete with the big boys for exposure. Now whether any of these custys stick around remains to be seen, my gut tells me from the jobs we've done that 25% or so will come back at regular price. The big boys have no need for groupon, they already have mass marketing in place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom