• leave tank open and set thermostat to "pilot"

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • leave everything on

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Leave tank valve open, turn heater OFF after every job.

The pilot is auto start (110V run by inverter), by simply turning the heater power switch to ON.

To add onto your original poll questions, I know of a cleaner (slide-in with LG heater) who kept his pilot light on while he got his tank filled.:surprised:

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ohh thats right...should have expounded more...

valve open...flip a switch off at end and on to start....

mine is 12v...

works great...but is a pain when (for what ever the reason is) when the ignitor goes out....:madder: about once a year.....

the good news is, i just found out they are warrantied.....time to send the 2 i have back and get new ones...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
None of the above, we have been all Heat Exchange since the early 90's.

However when we did have propane heaters, everything was off. Valve, pilot, everything.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
New to port propane but have past experiences in bulk propane and I'm pretty sure it's not even legal to drive with tank valve open

hogjowl

Idiot™
Turn it off on the heater and turn it off on the tank. I don't want to be in a wreck with my tank valve open and have my line cut, or have my van burn up, like I did back in 95, and have to worry about my tank burning with the valve open.

hogjowl

Idiot™
When it happened to me, I was on I-65 halfway between Montgomery and Greenville. No fire dept within 40 miles of me. I was frantically running around unloading tools and stuff, while silently thanking God that I was going to get a new rig ... cuz the one I had in that van was a stupid 33 blower rig. Man, I was glad to see it burn.

Reactions: SamIam
Name
I'm Rick James
When it happened to me, I was on I-65 halfway between Montgomery and Greenville. No fire dept within 40 miles of me. I was frantically running around unloading tools and stuff, while silently thanking God that I was going to get a new rig ... cuz the one I had in that van was a stupid 33 blower rig. Man, I was glad to see it burn.

How did your van burn down?

F

FB7777

Stopped using propane back in 2002 when I switched to Butlers,

Owner operators may be willing to assume the responsibility and aggravation of running with propane but I doubt many multi trucks would bother

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Mine was on a open trailer I would have had to restart the pilot regardless. But I closed it everytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
1st off i get the safety issue...dont get me wrong...but holy crap people...quit bar-be-queing then

whats funny is if you have a propane engine...how you shut the valve off??? uhhh it aint gonna run then....

2ndly...they have safety valves that if it has a "run" on it, then it shuts down...granted doesnt work on a small leak...

like i said...i get the safety side....but some of the "tones" of the comments, makes wanna tell you to DONT GO FILL YOUR GRILL TANK...

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
You SHOULD turn off everything of course, sometimes I am guilty of not doing so. What worries me more, it has happened more than once, is the thermostat/pilot has malfunctioned, allowing propane to flow even when the pilot was not lit. This happened often on an old unit I got rid of, and more recently, on a LG heater with fewer than 100 hours on it. This one, when re-ignited, shot the vent cap up hard enough to put a dent in the top of the van. Not to mention the 10 years it took off my life when it went off in my face.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Do you suppose all those RV'ers out there close the tank valve every time they get in the drivers seat. My belly tank valve is never closed and the secured tank in my other unit is only closed when I take it out to have it filled. That said I never drive around with the pilot lite. You should do what your comfortable with but most of the propane fears out there are way over blown.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wouldn't it still be very dangerous to have the valve open should the van get in an accident with or without the pilot lit?

I never had a fear of it because with the valve closed I figured the worst would be on the outside in an accident. I doubt you could puncture those tanks, although leave a path of least resistance and I think that liquid propane could still get pushed inside the van if it got T-boned on the tank side???

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't really think it is the tank that everyone needs to worry about as much as the lines that feed your heaters............if the tank valves are open and you get hit...what if it cuts the line....what if you have a line rubbing.......seems to me it is just a good judgement call to shut it off........

mechanical rule #1...........Never trust your equipment....the moment you start getting comfortable.....someones going to get hurt.......

hogjowl

Idiot™
Exactly the point, Jim. I agee.

As to the question of why my van burned. I have no idea. It started under the hood ... I was driving down the road and started seeing smoke coming in from the vents. I stopped, opened the hood to be driven back by the flames. It burned for a good 45 minutes until the "local" fire dept could call everyone in from the bingo parlor and get their firetruck cranked and out to me.

A week later, I was rolling with a new and better rig.

I love insurance.

Mikey P

Administrator
You SHOULD turn off everything of course, sometimes I am guilty of not doing so. What worries me more, it has happened more than once, is the thermostat/pilot has malfunctioned, allowing propane to flow even when the pilot was not lit. This happened often on an old unit I got rid of, and more recently, on a LG heater with fewer than 100 hours on it. This one, when re-ignited, shot the vent cap up hard enough to put a dent in the top of the van. Not to mention the 10 years it took off my life when it went off in my face.

yeah, thats a hoot.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
For the few years I was running with a propane burner...I always turned off the main valve on the tank. Never driven with it open and pilot on..

There was an event though with a coworker that went with the pilot on....it got blown out by the wind and it failed to shut the gas flow off...yup the NPR box got opened up and the built up propane just somehow exploded in a big flamethrower exhibit thru the barn doors of the NPR.

One time the built up gas on a job (after the pilot went out) thru me back against the wall as I was standing next to the side door of the NPR.

I dislike propane a lot..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom