Question for you Rug Fags

Mikey P

Administrator
Have an acquaintance who tells me his sales lady told him not to use a beater bar on his new knotted and tufted rugs.

But, while I have you on the line... one sort of work related question. I just bought some new niceish (not super nice) area rugs for my place. I've been told not to vacuum them with an upright vacuum (mine's a red sanitaire I've had forever) as it's supposedly bad for the rug. Is that true? Are vacuums with beater bars that bad for a once or twice a week vacuuming?

I was going to send him this reply and a try and find him an official quote from Rugfagdom Land..

Tufted Rugs are held together with latex glue, hence the cotton backing (to cover/hide the glue), If you get ten years out of it before the glue dries up or becomes so stinky you'll be lucky.

The knotted rug will last you a life time if you vacuum it once a week with your Sanitaire, have it hand washed every few years or so and keep leaky pets and strong sunshine away from it.

The only vacuum you would not want to use on it is a full size Dyson, those bristles are vicious.

If the sales lady had a clue she would have told you the difference between you rug and not given you that BS about vacuuming it.

first thing I come across on a search is this on the CRI site..

What type of vacuum should I buy?

Use a vacuum that has been through CRI’s IAQ program for vacuum’s, testing for soil removal, dust containment and carpet appearance retention.

I have wool carpet, should I use a beater bar/brush on my wool carpet?

It is recommended to use a vacuum cleaner that has suction only.

Should the new vacuum cleaner I purchase have a HEPA filter?

Not necessarily. Look for vacuums carrying the CRI vacuum cleaner testing program label. Many units are not HEPA filter units, yet are very effective in dust containment. HEPA filters may add additional cost to the overall operational cost of the vacuum.

What do you tell your rug owners?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I tell them to stay away from viscous Bristols too.

And if they have a wool carpet with big soft yarns (loose berber, felt, giant shag) to avoid using a vacuum with a brush bar. I vacuumed two of my own Oriental rugs with the brush bar vacuum tonight because I'd be hand-picking the fir needles out otherwise. But I'm a trained professional.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
We recommend beater bar vacuums for most rugs with an emphasis of staying clear of fringes. There are some exceptions such as very thin rugs and flat weaves that could be pulled into vacuum or in the cases of a worn rug a beater bar can cause damage or accelerate deterioration of existing problems. A suction only vac is not as effective as a bar vac…IMO! However, if the owner is agonizing over the decision I’d recommend a suction only vac for their piece of mind

Many factors determine Longevity materials, weave quality, finishing treatments, type of use, care & cleaning that simply buying a handmade rug is not a guarantee a rug will last a lifetime let alone 10 years I've seen new good quality hand woven rugs trashed from foot traffic in under 2 years.

Bob Foster

I think the misinformation might have started about the correct vacuuming means keeping the beater bar away from the fringes. But as far as I know its ok to use a beater bar on the rest of the rug.

Its possible if the vacuum had a real aggressive beater bar with the height set too low that it might pull out some tufts if the rug had latex lamination problems

But I'm not a rug fAg.... I'm still a rug rAt.... !gotcha!

Bob Foster

oopps I see the a Real Rug fAgs beat me too it. ignore me and listen to Them.

I'm just dirt in the back of the wash room.... and those guys well,, they get to take in the money. :lol: :lol:

Ron K

Natural Bristle Beater bar if any, stay away from the fringe or suction only. I've seen way to many rugs not vacuumed enough, never really a Rug damaged by over vacuuming. improper vacuuming yes fringe eaten yes. I really think the red "Bristles" on the pet dyson would damage any rug or carpet.

Oh yeah it's "Pillow Biter" not Rug Fag. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

G

Avoiding or limiting the use of beater bar vacuums is advice that I have heard over the years. Usually in such places such as the Textile Museum Saturday Rug Mornings. A program they have for experts, connoisseurs and collectors.
It is usually aimed at the upper end of the market for people who have very special rugs and appreciate them. Obviously with pedestrian rugs it is not particularly helpful. So if you are washing rugs that cost less than a small home in a rural redstate town I would not worry. For the washers to the high end they have already considered this and take a position.
Best wishes,
Barry O’Connell SRS (senior rug snob)
http://SpongoBongo.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom