Question on CGD and the best hot water extraction tool

Rookie

Name
Mike Ritchey
Hello to all,
I am new here and looking for some help / direction / feedback. My question is about commercial glue down carpet mainly, but also 2x2 carpet tiles in a large office / commercial environment. I am a owner operator in Oregon and have a been cleaning carpets for about 7 years. I have a truck mount Hydramaster 4.8 CDS I use for hot water extraction, and a Cimex I use for encapsulation in these large office buildings. Cimex has been great, good production and good results. My hot water extraction has been good, but I have concerns. I use a RX20 99% time I do hot water extraction, not matter what, residential or commercial. But with CGD, I have sometimes gotten some "swirl" marks on pretty old and tired CGD. Yes I could rake out somewhat, but that is time. Yes I could CRB them out, but again time. I am wondering about a better tool.
I am looking for feed back on a CX-15 drag wand, Zipper wand, or other ideas. Best yet maybe some feedback / solutions to my RX20 issues, so I don't have to buy a new tool. Again, not many issues on newer carpet tiles, but issues on "older / tired" CGD carpet.

Looking for serious responses please.

Rookie

Name
Mike Ritchey
Is it possible to demo one, my local distributors do not represent them I believe. I think his name is Erick and only goes direct to end user?

Name
Jeff T
You’re answer is in you’re question. You own a Cimex, put the prespray in the Cimex tank, run the machine over the area to be cleaned, and wand it out.... the secret is in the agitation. There’s no magic fix for this. Yes, the Zipper SS would be great, but you’re running it at 750 psi plus. Unless you run auto in/out, you will go through ALOT of water. If for resi, use the CRB, then wand out.
BTW, run the grey pads, as they dig into the fibre more than the beige...
That’s been my experience anyway...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Are we talking about efficiency or what's possible?

As far as efficiency I am sure the zipper will do great particularly at open spaces.

However, regardless of the claims, there's no witchcraft, voodoo or black magic involved with the regular zipper. It is just a double suction head which means two dry passes instead of one (with the same motion) and less time for the water to sit and not be vacuumed out. That can be replicated with a good wand technique, given at a lesser pace. The spinner Zipper will output more water, supposedly from more directions therefore flush better, but there will be higher heat at carpet and recovery issues will be the same. Never used one.

The main issue with CGD is no airflow due to it being glued down (no pad) which limits the ability of the wand, zipper etc. to remove as much moisture (therefore wick backs).

I've cleaned plenty of CGD with a wand (spray on pull only) extra vac passes, followed with a 175 with a pad and never had wicking issues. Slow!

Swirl marks could be related to fiber's heat set, heat distortion from water temp or mechanical.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Any rotary tool has the potential to leave swirl marks. I have the rotovac 360 xl and it's great but yesterday I tried to use it on old worn out carpet tile and it was jumping around, hard to control and leaving swirl marks. Had to go to my wand to do most of the job. A crb would have been a better choice of tools in this situation. Most of the time the 360 works great with the brush head.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Yah, you’re kicking against the pricks. Time is money, but there’s no short cut if you’re a pro. Do whatever it takes to get the job done right. CRB, Zipper, Cimex, wand, rotary, 175, and OP. One of the reasons I purchased crbs was for swirls. You be you.

Mikey P

Administrator
What wand or wands do you own that are so bad that you need to use an RE on 90% of your her projects?

It should be the other way around..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
it will be okay on short runs. Water on the up stroke and dry back. 5 jets, hard to go lower that a 5 flow and still be productive. I like to flush both directions but even on propane heat, I still run out. Need a bigger heater. I just might go for a 4ht one of these days. 2200 psi model. great for tiles with a spinner.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Hey Mike, Glad to see you made it to MB. I enjoyed our phone conversations. If you are ever in Redding hit me up. I carry both the Zipper SS and the CX-15 on my van and I'll let you play with both. Each have their strong suits. If you are solely worried about CGD and covering SQFT fast, get the Zipppy and skip the dry pass. It took me awhile to figure that out.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
CGD? You already have a Cimex. Problem solved.

You said you run your RX20 99% of the time (including commercial). Why not do encap on CGD with your Cimex 90% of the time. And occasionally do some HWE as needed if the carpet is toast.

For HWE on CGD (as Eric mentioned above) you can also run your pre-spray right through your Cimex tank. Feather it out lightly, scrub it in, and do a quick rinse. Works especially well if you're using an encap pre-spray like Encap-Punch.

I used to own an RX20 in my commercial carpet cleaning business. Our results were all over the map on CGD - very inconsistent. And it sounds like that's what you're seeing too. By comparison, the Cimex/Encap system is tailor made for CGD. I'd highly recommend refining your encap system and go with that instead. Good encap can be a game changer for CGD.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom