Question

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Who- amongst serious rug washers use dichlor in pit washing urine soaked rugs?
The other thread about the urine smell rug made me think of asking...

One opinion was: its safER but not safe. So why even risk it?

Those of you that actually use it: do you pour some in your washpit and circulate for a while? Or do you "apply" directly over urine areas?

Edit so Larry would understand what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I'm not sure what "dichlorinated bleach" is,

but I would NOT use any chlorinated oxidizer on wool rugs.

Oxygen bleaches are much safer to the wool,

but they need to used only in last resort situations.

Larry

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm not sure what "dichlorinated bleach" is,

but I would NOT use any chlorinated oxidizer on wool rugs.

Oxygen bleaches are much safer to the wool,

but they need to used only in last resort situations.

Larry

...just a play on words Larry, as often is done in the sale of chemicals to make them sound "different" from all the others. Still Chlorine, in its elemental form.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
We use Sodium-Dichlor, as do a number of Centrum Force® wash tub owners. A cup or two for 1200 gallons of water. Tests have proved that this is sufficient for our intended purpose. We do not use it purposely to eradicate urine. We remove Urine by using another product. We saturate a rug with U-Turn chemistry, allow at least 30 minute dwell time, and then flush with water using our Centri-Maxx® horizontal centrifuge.

The reason we use granular Sodium-Dichlor in the wash tub has an obvious two fold objective.

1: It provides a barrier of protection in the water to prevent cross contamination of unwanted bacteria while rugs swim together in the tub during a wash cycle.

2: While charging the water for sanitation is accomplished, its properties help in neutralizing floating fugitive dyes releasing from rugs.

This begs another question: What other additive is put into the same water to help manage dye loose in the water from bleeding rugs? Only Wash Tub owners know that "Secret Sauce."

Here is one product we have used:

IMAG0515_zps4533f67b.jpg

You can get something like it where pool and spa supplies are sold.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
It is apparent that trained professionals have used various forms of chlorine in dilution for years in various laundry settings. Here is just one example I found fascinating recently for its use on wool:

20130502_115447_zpsd1275dae.jpg

20130502_115533_zps75f0c422.jpg

20130502_115523_zps83786f45.jpg

20130502_115431_zpse93c4a02.jpg

20130502_115629_zps5db59954.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you're going to use chlorine in your wash pit, you'd better know the safe dilution and dwell times, and have a process for treating the rugs when they come out of your pit. Karastan is purposely altering the look and feel of the wool with their process.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
If you're going to use chlorine in your wash pit, you'd better know the safe dilution and dwell times, and have a process for treating the rugs when they come out of your pit. Karastan is purposely altering the look and feel of the wool with their process.

Yes this is true. One also should know the difference between use of hot tub/pool di-chlor versus use of household Clorox bleach. (Consider this too: hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ions)

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hurricane Katrina taught a lesson for textile care. How to use Di-Chlor safely. Apparently, the word got out and some notable instructor passed it on to their students. If they were forthright, they would disclose their source.

Ron K

Hurricane Katrina taught a lesson for textile care. How to use Di-Chlor safely. Apparently, the word got out and some notable instructor passed it on to their students. If they were forthright, they would disclose their source.

Rug Lovers Tour???

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Who- amongst serious rug washers use dichlor in pit washing urine soaked rugs?
The other thread about the urine smell rug made me think of asking...

One opinion was: its safER but not safe. So why even risk it?

Those of you that actually use it: do you pour some in your washpit and circulate for a while? Or do you "apply" directly over urine areas?

Edit so Larry would understand what I was trying to say.

Apart from the question of urine removal raised in this thread, the question still begs for a proper conclusion whether there is really a safe dilution of di-chlor in water when washing textiles. Is there a test that satisfies the matter? Experience has shown that a fair number of rug washers have seen no adverse reactions visually to textiles washed. Their formulation commonly involves 6 ounces of granular di-chlor per 1200 gallons of water. (Just imagine the parts per million this represents) At Rug Summit 7, Joe Gabel shared with us how he visually tested wool samples by microscope and found no visual adverse reactions after repeated washes. Robert Pettyjohn shared at Rug Summit 7 that a professional testing laboratory found the same conclusion with a more repetitive and thorough test. Soon, I will put up the video of the presentation made by these men at Rug Summit 7 and furnish the science behind such a conclusion.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Can you tell me Tom? What chemical is the most damaging to wool and what causes bleeding besides too much dye or bad dyes?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Can you tell me Tom? What chemical is the most damaging to wool and what causes bleeding besides too much dye or bad dyes?

The answer is more complex. This question is more about what to use, dilution to use, when to use, combined with dwell time, rinse and dry. Other things to consider: What is the rug made of, how is it constructed, what is its value, what has it been submitted to, and what unwanted stuff in it do you want to remove?

Ironic example: Even water, in certain instances, can cause unwanted damage. Yet, rug washers would agree that it is an important element to use to wash wool and they don't avoid using it.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
That's why I use capture dry cleaning on all our rugs. :icon_rolleyes:

Damage can be defined as an alteration from the original intent.

Wet washing causes damage and is a destructive process. When we wash rugs and if we wash well, this damage happens at a slow and imperceptible rate.
Sometimes the change is dramatic shrinkage, color rug, fading , loss of wool or knots. The "risk" is taken because destructive properties
of soil and and often in combination with humility and sunlight
cause greater damage than the risk of cleaning.

As for di-chlor Vs. other products. di-chlor breaks down over time it's also used in much lower
concentrations than "deodorizers" as a general rule deodorizers stay in a rug what's
the long term effect of pickling a rug with deodorizers?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
That's why I use capture dry cleaning on all our rugs. :icon_rolleyes:

Damage can be defined as an alteration from the original intent.

Wet washing causes damage and is a destructive process. When we wash rugs and if we wash well, this damage happens at a slow and imperceptible rate.
Sometimes the change is dramatic shrinkage, color rug, fading , loss of wool or knots. The "risk" is taken because destructive properties
of soil and and often in combination with humility and sunlight
cause greater damage than the risk of cleaning.

As for di-chlor Vs. other products. di-chlor breaks down over time it's also used in much lower
concentrations than "deodorizers" as a general rule deodorizers stay in a rug what's
the long term effect of pickling a rug with deodorizers?

Mr. Hyde provides a sensible observation. After all, you have to get the dirt out!

(Talk about destructive, some of the techniques using power brushes and high p.s.i. pressure washing do lots of harm. This could make for an interesting discussion too)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom