recolor spots??

harryhides

Name
Tony
Larry B said:
Do you charge axtra to dye a bleach spot?

If the spot is 4" x 5" what would you charge?

Really hard to answer this one Larry. eg:

If it was a tiny spot for a good and regular customer, I might do it for free.
If it was for an insurance Company who requires perfection, my base charge is $200 and up depending on the cost to replace which depends on size and quality of carpet involved.
If it is for an apartment block owner who only wants it good enough to rent out my base charge is $100 and up.

Location of the spot is also a factor.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Harry

We do alot of rental places and run into small spots of bleach and hair products that remove the color. I was just asking because we have been recoloring small spots at no charge up to $15.00.

I was thinking I was way off on this but have never asked.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Larry, if you are doing the apt 'move outs' ( we only do hallways and specialty stuff - bleach, burns and set stains ) then it should all come down to the time taken to do each job.

jayjacques

My expertise and/or experience is mostly with automotive, but I think the principle is the same. Any service you do for a customer that is unsightly that they can't do, be it retail or commercial, should be worth it monetarily. My wife used to manage apartments and they dock the previous tenant for such stuff, so you ought not to feel like you shouldn't make much off it. They're charging the customer regardless.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I spoke with a few of the property owners we work for and now on rentals there will be a $45.00 min for using dye anything over 3" X 3" the price goes up but most want a call if it will be more than $100.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Charge large.You're saving them a ton of dough. I won't touch a dye job for under $100.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Larry B said:
[quote="Willy P":y5ps7duc]Charge large.You're saving them a ton of dough. I won't touch a dye job for under $100.

Not even something that small? 3" x 3"[/quote:y5ps7duc]

Nope- I've been working as the go to guy with some messed up stuff with property management. I get $150 for a nasty 1 bedroom and charge large from there for any and all extras other than basic stain removal. Kool Aid, extra- bleach extra. If it's just a couple of small spots like the size you say, still $100.$250 - 300 for 2 or 3 hours of my time is a bargain against replacing a unit with $1500 in carpet. I have 12 steps to do before I start with the dye bath, so I earn it. I don't do the regular move outs in most as I'm too expensive. But when they want it right, they pay for my time and 25+ years experience. If I say tear out, they will and I still charge $50 to make that determination. My time is money.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Willy P said:
[quote="Larry B":xeaifetw][quote="Willy P":xeaifetw]Charge large.You're saving them a ton of dough. I won't touch a dye job for under $100.

Not even something that small? 3" x 3"[/quote:xeaifetw]

Nope- I've been working as the go to guy with some messed up stuff with property management. I get $150 for a nasty 1 bedroom and charge large from there for any and all extras other than basic stain removal. Kool Aid, extra- bleach extra. If it's just a couple of small spots like the size you say, still $100.$250 - 300 for 2 or 3 hours of my time is a bargain against replacing a unit with $1500 in carpet. I have 12 steps to do before I start with the dye bath, so I earn it. I don't do the regular move outs in most as I'm too expensive. But when they want it right, they pay for my time and 25+ years experience. If I say tear out, they will and I still charge $50 to make that determination. My time is money.[/quote:xeaifetw]

Thanks for the info Willy. I will work them up slowly and see how it works out. I just started doing repairs a couple months ago after reading on here about them on here. I have my KoolGlide and dye kits paid for now I need to make extra off them.LOL

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Like Willy, I'm trying to get into a position of the go to man for specialty stuff. Not that others can't do it, it's just not run of the mill stuff and most CCer's can't be bothered learning or taking the time to do the extra stuff.

It does mean, that the run of the mill move out cleans are done by others charging low prices but when they need you, they'll gladly pay whatever you ask.

Having said that, go with your gut instinct. I've done tiny bits free with other work, other times, I name my price and at times, that can be up over $500 for certain or extensive repairs (not necessarily colour) and they'll either take it or leave it.

Give them a price, based on what it'll cost you, factor it what it'll save them, and then make sure you're making a healthy margin as well to compensate you for your time and expenses invovled in learning and perfecting this service.

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
I am also the go to guy here, for Property managers it is a $100.00 min and $200 min for Insurance or Mill claims

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I am hoping to have prices worked up close to that shortly.

I got $70.00 Thursday for a color repair on a rental, 4 dime size areas from bleach.

The guy never even looked twice when I told him the price.

I do thank you guys for the info on this. I knew I was way to cheap on this stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom