Reduced my 870 to a porty.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Using a white sock instead of a towel to wipe down upholstery (no damage...but you should have seen the look on the lady's face when she caught me..got thrown out of the house)

Lol! Didn't have a towel, but you had extra socks!?:headscratch:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Omg, you were wearing them!!!
Jim wins!

Its funny, of all the things I did wrong, that one was the one that didn't cause a damage claim, and in a way, was just me being resourceful.

At least that's what I tried to explain to my father .....I was sort of acting like this kid:

He was less kind than the mother in the commercial

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
definitely dont mix the downy with your pre spray, theres no need

just keep a very small flip top bottle of it, one little squirt in your vac line and it kills the foam for the whole job.

crystal defoamers just shoot straight to the waste tank and kill foam there, not nearly as effective they dont coat your vac line

J

JS41035

I've grossed my kid out by pulling off a sock to pull over a doodlebug to apply finish in a pinch.
First you see the sock on the doodle bug. You think “ I can’t believe he is using a sock. “
Then you lock down at his shoes. “ please lord let him have both socks on”
Verify what you thought. Shrug your shoulders and get done . Go out for a late night breakfast with your one-socked old man who gets it done and gets paid.

Jamesh921

Name
James
So, can you run Downey thru your machine and use it as a rinsing agent when you encounter a carpet with lots of foaming issues? And, does Downey leave a residue that will cause rapid resoiling?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
So, can you run Downey thru your machine and use it as a rinsing agent when you encounter a carpet with lots of foaming issues? And, does Downey leave a residue that will cause rapid resoiling?

No put it in your recovery tank (if you use a portable).

If you put a high concentration of it on carpet it might cause resoiling, but there really isn't any reason to put it on carpet.

I've used it diluted to help restore badly distorted natural fiber velvet.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
In regards to reducing foaming, I experienced long ago that if you put it into the vacuum hose (good idea, but..) it will rinse out very quickly. The operator has to reduce the clogging into their wand nozzle...before...it gets into it for pure extraction performance.
Therefore, why not consider putting a touch of Downy in the clean solution tank and kill the foam at the carpet prior to entrance into the nozzle? This can also be done with an "acid rinse" as well.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In regards to reducing foaming, I experienced long ago that if you put it into the vacuum hose (good idea, but..) it will rinse out very quickly. The operator has to reduce the clogging into their wand nozzle...before...it gets into it for pure extraction performance.
Therefore, why not consider putting a touch of Downy in the clean solution tank and kill the foam at the carpet prior to entrance into the nozzle? This can also be done with an "acid rinse" as well.
Would the liquid de-foamer do anything negative to our chemical pumps on the truck mount? And how much would we have to put in the tank set at 2-3 so it wouldn't leave too much behind in the carpet?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Would the liquid de-foamer do anything negative to our chemical pumps on the truck mount? And how much would we have to put in the tank set at 2-3 so it wouldn't leave too much behind in the carpet?

Don't do it Matt.

Liquid defoamers have silicone in them, and will cause carpet to resoil. At 2-3 it probably wouldn't be a problem to the carpet, but neither would it kill foam. As the concentrate metered into your system, I would think the silicone might cause a problem with o rings, and it likely would react with other chemicals and create a slime in your strainers and check valves.

Just put it in the vacuum hose.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Don't do it Matt.

Liquid defoamers have silicone in them, and will cause carpet to resoil. At 2-3 it probably wouldn't be a problem to the carpet, but neither would it kill foam. As the concentrate metered into your system, I would think the silicone might cause a problem with o rings, and it likely would react with other chemicals and create a slime in your strainers and check valves.

Just put it in the vacuum hose.
Does the powder have silicone in it also?

Name
Swani
No put it in your recovery tank (if you use a portable).

If you put a high concentration of it on carpet it might cause resoiling, but there really isn't any reason to put it on carpet.

I've used it diluted to help restore badly distorted natural fiber velvet.
I've got that velvet recipe written down in my Fine Fabric book.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The defoamer will clog up your system, especially with heat. If you add defoamer to a prespray, it will negatively impact that product. Spraying liquid defoamer is a bad idea as it's very hard to remove. Sprinkling crystal defoamer is better but still not really proper. I'm surprised that the cfx doesn't have a defoamer injection system similar to the Steaming Demon.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Matt;

I totally agree with what Jim stated regarding the defoamer.

I was referring to the use of Downy.

Hope this helps with confirmation.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Condog

Name
Tony
Exactly what I said when I first heard of it.

When I was cleaning an MT, there was a build -up of previous detergent in the carpet.

I had a small cake in the van & chucked that in the waste tank & the foam stopped..

Or this may help some understand better:

I realise you're not having a bubble bath in your clients home, but the same principle applies, especially when you're stuck, & foaming at the mouth.

Why do the bubbles of a bubble bath disappear when a bar of soap is put into the water?
  • BUBBLE bath products are formulations of cationic (positively charged) surface active agents and bactericides. Soaps, however, are predominantly anionic (i.e. negatively charged). When the two are mixed in water (a polar solvent) the charges cancel each other out and the bubbles collapse. To prevent a scum forming, most bubble baths contain small amounts of non-ionic dispersants to keep the dirt in suspension.

You are a genius sir.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
No, I forgot, hahaha

I do the same, I call it K.R.A.F.T. ( Can't remember A Flaming Thing ).

With the soap, think about your basic chemistry, "Like dissolves like". 😉

No genius here, basically self taught from '71 until my first listening experience with members of the Carpet Cleaners Association of Queensland in 1985.

My first actual course though was not until probably 1994 when courses started becoming available in Australia.

My first course in the USA was not until 2004.

Now, it's getting time to start & slow down. 🤔

:yoda: :very_drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:

Condog

Name
Tony
I do the same, I call it K.R.A.F.T. ( Can't remember A Flaming Thing ).

With the soap, think about your basic chemistry, "Like dissolves like". 😉

No genius here, basically self taught from '71 until my first listening experience with members of the Carpet Cleaners Association of Queensland in 1985.

My first actual course though was not until probably 1994 when courses started becoming available in Australia.

My first course in the USA was not until 2004.

Now, it's getting time to start & slow down. 🤔

:yoda: :very_drunk:
A rolling stone gathers no moss

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom