reducers vs oxidizers

steve g

Name
steve garrett
lately I am finding I am alot more effective if I just break out the 40 volume with a little ammonia added to it, than choosing to use a reducer. if its pet stains, red whine, stains from an over watered plant, darn near anything. the boosted oxidizer seems to always be the better choice. my question is in what cases do you find opting for the reducing agent as most effective in stain removal.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Most of the time 40 alone and some dwel time will do the tirck.

I don't reach for ammonia unless It’s a furniture stain because of the risk of chemical burn / discoloration.

Nathan K

Still using reducers on tough dye stains. I work mostly with wool, so using strong peroxide is risky on most rugs, as it can cause unwanted color shifts (Chinese, some Persians & Tibetans) and fiber damage to many other rugs (Chinese, Nepalese, and esp. Moroccan).

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The rule of thumb is to use Oxidisers on natural stains. Such as: pet urine, furniture stains,wine and mustard

And use Reducers on synthetic stains like kool aid.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Steve;

Reducers still remove a lot of stains more effectively.
(Most common pH is ~5.5)

Coffee stains on wool rugs is a good example.

Iodine stains are another.

Water stains with rings.

Color bleeding is another important task.

Color brightening on wool is a big usage.

Larry Cobb
Cobb Carpet Supply

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Larry Cobb said:
Color brightening on wool is a big usage.

Larry,
What do you mean by that?

Would you mix a half a gallon reducer and spray it on an oriental rug to make the colors a bit more "alive"?
Or how would you use reducer to brighten colors? Would you steam a whole rug? Or just let it sit and rinse with hwe?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom