Removing dye transfer

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
New custy wants me to remove red dye left behind from the edge of an area rug on light colored carpet. I told her that could be very difficult to remove if it’s a nylon carpet. My plan is to try a few solvents and high ph cleaners then a reducer. Any other ideas on what might work?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd rinse it first, then try StainMagic or Red Vanish. Doubt solvents or High Ph will help much but if the dye stain removers don't you could always try them later.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Have you had scucess removing dye with stainmagic?
I don't know how well an Oxidizer would work unless it’s a plant based dye.
It’s probably a cheap pottery barn rug so, who knows.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
I did one like this over the summer. Red. Did a large insert. I would plan on that!

GRHeacock

Yep- one of the hazards of cleaning rugs on top of a carpet. The dye is from the rug's edge serging threads.

Usually from cheap rugs, but can be from expensive ones too.

Use a good dye remover, should come out without too much difficulty.

Next time, take the rug in for cleaning, not on top of the carpet.

(and ya- it has happened to me too)

Use Larry's dye remover- its pretty safe.

Gary

Name
Lee Stockwell
Reading the original post I'm thinking it's NOT cleaning related. Just "dry crocking" where excess red dye is transferred DRY to the adjoining fabric.

This used to happen a lot where red or deep orange color would "walk off" onto adjoining light colored carpet.

Removal as noted above.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Great Success! I did the job today and was able to remove 100% of the red dye that bleed / crocked form a cheap wool rug. Like Rich said, I looked like a hero by setting a low expectation level. I pretreated with reducer and noticed it easily blotted onto a dry towel, so I rinsed it all out with cold water. Lucky, it was an olefin not nylon.
The funny this is that the custy had another cleaner out from his BNI group that was not able to remove the dye or any visible soil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom