repair?

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
picked up this rug really inexpensive, at one of those online estate sales. wool, very heavy. I am not the person to valuate. , But it seems like a nice runner. Longer than most.
the fringe seems to be part of the foundation yarns, so part of the rug, and not attached for looks.

Very Good condition , no damage, or wear, except, for the edges . Don't know what the terminology is, but the foundation yarn at the long edge has the wrapping frayed. . Is this something that be worth the effort?
i was considering looking for a place that does rug binding to see if they would do it.

Hopefully the attached pics show enough.

thanks

20210223_113813[1].jpg 20210223_113829[1].jpg 20210223_113752[1].jpg 20210223_113800[1].jpg

Brian H

Name
Brian H
That is a very common problem on those rugs. Just get yourself some red wool yard and a big needle and do it yourself. If I know my rugs, that is a Pakistani bokara and they were very popular 30-40 years ago.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, bring it or ship it up to Detroit and we can take care of it for you.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rick,
The rug you have is a durable hand-knotted, and regardless of origin it was made in a rug factory so is not "collectible" valuable. These are usually well-built and well dyed though, so maybe worth the repair to have a good looking rug that will stand up well to everyday use for a long time.

If you want to buy some wool yarn and a big needle and do this yourself you can, it will just take a long time and a halfway decent eye for keeping a straight line. The going rate for this at a rug shop will be $20 to $30 per foot, which may be as much as the rug is worth once it's fixed.

If it were mine I'd find someone that can use wool to machine serge the edges.
Rates vary, but should be less than half the cost of hand wrapping. While they're at it, have them cut off the fringe, roll the fabric of the end (kilim, selvedge) under and serge that too. I'd recommend Arslanian Bros if you're near Cleveland, as I know they can do exactly this repair. Brian can tell you if Hagopian does this (and cost), otherwise look for a rug workroom, as Oriental rug shops almost always do only hand work.

Good find! Good luck!

Reactions: Rick J and Brian H

Latest posts

Top Bottom