repair?

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
picked up this rug really inexpensive, at one of those online estate sales. wool, very heavy. I am not the person to valuate. , But it seems like a nice runner. Longer than most.
the fringe seems to be part of the foundation yarns, so part of the rug, and not attached for looks.

Very Good condition , no damage, or wear, except, for the edges . Don't know what the terminology is, but the foundation yarn at the long edge has the wrapping frayed. . Is this something that be worth the effort?
i was considering looking for a place that does rug binding to see if they would do it.

Hopefully the attached pics show enough.

thanks

20210223_113813[1].jpg 20210223_113829[1].jpg 20210223_113752[1].jpg 20210223_113800[1].jpg

Brian H

Name
Brian H
That is a very common problem on those rugs. Just get yourself some red wool yard and a big needle and do it yourself. If I know my rugs, that is a Pakistani bokara and they were very popular 30-40 years ago.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, bring it or ship it up to Detroit and we can take care of it for you.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rick,
The rug you have is a durable hand-knotted, and regardless of origin it was made in a rug factory so is not "collectible" valuable. These are usually well-built and well dyed though, so maybe worth the repair to have a good looking rug that will stand up well to everyday use for a long time.

If you want to buy some wool yarn and a big needle and do this yourself you can, it will just take a long time and a halfway decent eye for keeping a straight line. The going rate for this at a rug shop will be $20 to $30 per foot, which may be as much as the rug is worth once it's fixed.

If it were mine I'd find someone that can use wool to machine serge the edges.
Rates vary, but should be less than half the cost of hand wrapping. While they're at it, have them cut off the fringe, roll the fabric of the end (kilim, selvedge) under and serge that too. I'd recommend Arslanian Bros if you're near Cleveland, as I know they can do exactly this repair. Brian can tell you if Hagopian does this (and cost), otherwise look for a rug workroom, as Oriental rug shops almost always do only hand work.

Good find! Good luck!

Reactions: Rick J and Brian H

Sergio

Name
Sergio
This rug is of Iranian origin and his name is "Mir". Very popular carpet in Germany in the 1980s. The carpet is damaged by moths.
It takes aggressive washing to kill moths and eggs
Subsequently it must be restored, the work is very trivial

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
This rug is of Iranian origin and his name is "Mir". Very popular carpet in Germany in the 1980s. The carpet is damaged by moths.
It takes aggressive washing to kill moths and eggs
Subsequently it must be restored, the work is very trivial
How much does a repair like that cost? Is it hard? If you put the rug in a freezer would that kill the moth eggs?

Reactions: Sergio

Brian H

Name
Brian H
How much does a repair like that cost? Is it hard? If you put the rug in a freezer would that kill the moth eggs?
We charge about $22 per foot for that type of hand repair. If you wanted to just put a machine serging on it, we would charge $5.50 per foot.

I have heard freezing would kill the moth larva though I have also heard it needs to be in their for about a week.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
We charge about $22 per foot for that type of hand repair. If you wanted to just put a machine serging on it, we would charge $5.50 per foot.

I have heard freezing would kill the moth larva though I have also heard it needs to be in their for about a week.
Oh wow. That is a lot better pricing than I thought it would be. Thanks.

Sergio

Name
Sergio
The problem is more important than you think. The moths also attacked the carpet, as well as the bordures
You need a spray that contains permethrin to kill moths

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
all the cool kids are showing threads these days.
This rug would have to be torched to the point of having the foundation show before it could be considered trendy. I did a blog post to help customers searching for "antique" rugs a couple of months ago, since we were seeing so many people getting ripped off.

You can buy an already worn out fake.

avani-rug-terracotta-multi_1564991625.jpg

This is basically an $800 rubber-backed blanket.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Would a hot room work? Thinking along the idea of how they use heat to rid a house of bedbugs.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Would a hot room work? Thinking along the idea of how they use heat to rid a house of bedbugs.
Yep. We formerly just immersion washed and let the hot dry room kill moths and eggs.

Over the past fifteen years that hasn't worked every time though, so now pre-spray a very mild insecticide before washing. (Suspend SC)

Reactions: hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom