Repairable or Junk?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Haven't had a Little Giant do this before.(2HTLP) Are they repairable?

roro

DSCF1490.jpg

Bob Foster

Yes they are repairable and where the break appears is a easier place to repair than on one of the smaller coils.

What caused the break?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
My ***** had removed the pressure relief so guess it blew there as the weakest or highest heat point

roro

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
It is repairable.

But from the looks of the photo . . .

the large copper manifold has expanded at both ends.

This means it will be thinner on both ends after the repair.

I would NOT operate the heater over 600 PSI.

Larry

Name
Nate W.
My 20yr old 3ht did that... My friend who is certified in welding silver solder it... 3 times... The last time it blew, I was pretty much irritated with taking it apart and putting it back together... My friend did it for free each time (but you buy lunch). That was a round one... I have a square 3ht that is 18yrs old and only had a pin hole that he also fixed... I believe the round one kept blowing because the fire was directly on the repaired part... Hopefully that works for you...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Just a note:
Around here the radiator shops don't silver solder or have experience in it. But, the heating and air guys do it all the time.(Radiators just don't get that hot or have much pressure compared to a heater.)

Last time I took mine to the community college/trade school and the student and teacher took care of it as a class project.

It is a round one with the heat right on the spot and that was repaired 18 month ago.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
silver soldering is so easy. I second Dave's suggestion about a heating and air guy. You may want to clean it up first with sandpaper and suggest using a donor piece of copper over the hole to strengthen it

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The hard thing about silver solder is that you have to heat up up so hot that the other soldered joints can melt and need to be soldered.

Name
Lee Stockwell
You can reinforce a repaired area by wrapping it with a piece of donor copper pipe cut lengthwise and tightened firmly with a couple of all stainless steel hose clamps.

Will hold for many years.

Name
Nate W.
Royal Man said:
The hard thing about silver solder is that you have to heat up up so hot that the other soldered joints can melt and need to be soldered.

My welding friend who works for Trane the a/c company, used MAP GAS to do mines... It's pretty fast for starting BBQ's.... I prefer using pure oxygen while starting the BBQ though... shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom