Robotic carpet cleaning..

Mikey P

Administrator
Chavez's comments about preferring a service provider in his home with no personality who just goes about his business and collects the check, got me thinking about all the customers I've lost, granted which are few, who wanted just that and instead got my bubblyself...

If I cant have fun and interact on the job I'll just become a day trader....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You'll never please everyone, but for the most part, you should try to be memorable (in a good way, obviously).

The following is a somewhat common call I get:

"I see you sell carpet cleaning products, could you recommend anyone to clean my carpet?"

My response starts with: "Who cleaned it the last time?"

What surprised me years ago, but no longer surprises me, is this:

Most people don't remember the person who cleaned their carpet the last time. They might remember the first name of the owner or technician, and sometimes the color of the truck, but other than that, nothing.

In most cases, they thought the last job was good, but nothing about the work or the company stood out to them. It was more of a matter of they needed their carpet cleaned, someone cleaned it, and they paid for it, so everyone was even.

If you leave the customer with that level of experience, they'll likely forget who you were a year later.

Mikey P

Administrator
You'll never please everyone, but for the most part, you should try to be memorable (in a good way, obviously).

The following is a somewhat common call I get:

"I see you sell carpet cleaning products, could you recommend anyone to clean my carpet?"

My response starts with: "Who cleaned it the last time?"

What surprised me years ago, but no longer surprises me, is this:

Most people don't remember the person who cleaned their carpet the last time. They might remember the first name of the owner or technician, and sometimes the color of the truck, but other than that, nothing.

In most cases, they thought the last job was good, but nothing about the work or the company stood out to them. It was more of a matter of they needed their carpet cleaned, someone cleaned it, and they paid for it, so everyone was even.

If you leave the customer with that level of experience, they'll likely forget who you were a year later.

Exactly my point Jim.

I make it a point to have a memorable conversation with each new customer in order to make them a client, hopefully a client who is on vacation or at work the next time..

Invest the extra time on the 1st visit to save time on the following.

But than there are those who I very much hope are home each time...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We use the same service companies we've used for year. Fortunately we usually get the same technicians. . I think its because they know how to find our house and know the ac/furnace, sump pump, hot water heater or electrical.

I've never had a "Mike" but maybe my wife has. She likes to talk and would engage with them more than I would. I'm generally very quiet unless I know you.

We stick with the same service companies because receive good service from them. They have been in the community for years and train their people well. Not the highest but not the cheapest either.

I wouldn't suggest changing who you are, it works for you. In fact if you came to my house I would still call your company back next time. I'd just hope to get someone with less personality or I'd go cut the grass to avoid you. lol

steve_64

I had a guy come out a few years ago can't remember why. But he started up talking about my lawn and the crabgrass
All I wanted was a price for something else. I don't even remember why I called just that he wanted to talk about my lawn.

I felt like Marty was looking over my shoulder saying I told you.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We use the same service companies we've used for year. Fortunately we usually get the same technicians. . I think its because they know how to find our house and know the ac/furnace, sump pump, hot water heater or electrical.

I've never had a "Mike" but maybe my wife has. She likes to talk and would engage with them more than I would. I'm generally very quiet unless I know you.

We stick with the same service companies because receive good service from them. They have been in the community for years and train their people well. Not the highest but not the cheapest either.

I wouldn't suggest changing who you are, it works for you. In fact if you came to my house I would still call your company back next time. I'd just hope to get someone with less personality or I'd go cut the grass to avoid you. lol

I’m that way too.

I have two chatty and (they think) charming service providers. I find reasons to avoid them, but keep using them because of their competence, and in spite of (not because of) their bubbly personalities

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Chavez's comments about preferring a service provider in his home with no personality who just goes about his business and collects the check, got me thinking about all the customers I've lost, granted which are few, who wanted just that and instead got my bubblyself...

You don't have to be bubbly for them to remember you. Just have a reminder post card set up periodically so they won't have to forget you. A couple of my cheap friends say that email reminders are all that's needed since they're free, but I disagree. If post card reminder mail outs aren't working, the company is pocketing your money and isn't sending them out COUGH!(markate)COUGH!

Reactions: Ron K

Mikey P

Administrator
One of my riding club dudes just called

Mike what are you doing today, our normal carpet cleaner stood us up and all my furniture is outside!?

Splash and dashers with teenage chimps....

and I lent this fooker a Ball Joint removal tool three weeks ago that he still hasn't returned.

I'm not helping him, serves him right.

Mikey P

Administrator
I can't tell you how many times I've led this guy and his wife on rides and help pull them out of ditches and hook them up with different people to get them repair parts and so on and so forth and yet he calls pretty much the cleaner with the shittiest reputation in our area...

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Be professionally proficient. You are.
Be on time an ready.You are
Over exceed there concept of clean.
No problem .
Sales brochure ready with info.
I'm sure
Keep all conversation brief an to the point .
Other then that a sharp uniform.
An your perfect.

You are the local carpet cleaner.
But your internationally known an respected...
Look the beast you are...nuff said
Imma Bdcc an you ain't
But my two centavos...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Also my comments were all directed at you being funny on Social Media. Not in a clients home. If it help retain your clients, then you need to continue to do your thing.

I'm just a recluse, I like people but mostly I like them not to bother me. 😉

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
I'll John Henry against that critter even sick...
Robots ...I'll terminate em...
Wand with cane feature an good to go...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm just a recluse, I like people but mostly I like them not to bother me. 😉

That defines me too.

A lady I mistakenly allowed to engage me in conversation at a trail head decided to tag along with me for a bit. She never shut up the entire time. I'm glad I thought to mention the presence of rattlesnakes and black bears along the trail.

She split, and my day was thereafter peaceful.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
too many Majyoons can't "read" the custy.
Some like chit-chat some are unsociable and/or don't GAS whether you like dogs and donuts or not.
Most are somewhere in between (unless you happen be a boring af personality)

on the other side of the counter, is the CUSTY that won't chutup.
I enjoy chit-chat with interesting folks, and a select few have become close over the years...
BUTT.... I have appointments to keep, and I just don't have time to hear an hour long story of how you were at Woodstock (actually happened a few months ago)
Had too look at pics an' all....

That's a lot tougher to handle than oddbAlls like Chavez and Pemeberton.... 🙃

..L.T.A.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I do consistently better work than Brady because I focus on that, but I’m not fond of interaction.
Brady isn’t quite as good at cleaning, but he can charm the bitchy-est woman.
Which one of us the customer prefers is normally never known, but occasionally a customer will request one or the other.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
too many Majyoons can't "read" the custy.
Some like chit-chat some are unsociable and/or don't GAS whether you like dogs and donuts or not.
Most are somewhere in between (unless you happen be a boring af personality)

on the other side of the counter, is the CUSTY that won't chutup.
I enjoy chit-chat with interesting folks, and a select few have become close over the years...
BUTT.... I have appointments to keep, and I just don't have time to hear an hour long story of how you were at Woodstock (actually happened a few months ago)
Had too look at pics an' all....

That's a lot tougher to handle than oddbAlls like Chavez and Pemeberton.... 🙃

..L.T.A.
You know those uncomfortable pauses in conversation....I cherish those moments. 😉

My wife is the talker. She will engage complete strangers, as we walk away I ask who that was and she says I don't know her. 😳

I actually like people, but in moderation. 😅

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I do consistently better work than Brady because I focus on that, but I’m not fond of interaction.
Which one of us the customer prefers is normally never known, but occasionally a customer will request one or the other.

Back when we had a multi-truck cleaning company, we had an employee named Steve.

Not only was he not our best cleaner, he would never tell us when something failed on his machine, if he was out of a product, or if a sprayer wasn't working. Whatever failed, he would just make do and get the work done.

We're talking chemical not injecting, heat not working, water pressure 100 psi instead of 400 psi, etc. Big stuff.

We would only find out when someone else had to use his truck for an unexpected commercial job at night, or another truck broke down while Steve was off and someone else used his truck.

But Steve was our most popular technician. Customers would wait weeks longer for Steve to do their jobs. He had that "boy next door charm".

Our other guys were better cleaners, but had the "shut up and let me do my job lady" personalities.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Back when we had a multi-truck cleaning company, we had an employee named Steve.

Not only was he not our best cleaner, he would never tell us when something failed on his machine, if he was out of a product, or if a sprayer wasn't working. Whatever failed, he would just make do and get the work done.

We're talking chemical not injecting, heat not working, water pressure 100 psi instead of 400 psi, etc. Big stuff.

We would only find out when someone else had to use his truck for an unexpected commercial job at night, or another truck broke down while Steve was off and someone else used his truck.

But Steve was our most popular technician. Customers would wait weeks longer for Steve to do their jobs. He had that "boy next door charm".

Our other guys were better cleaners, but had the "shut up and let me do my job lady" personalities.
When I was first cleaning most women would show me what they wanted cleaned and moved. After that they usually left me alone only occasionally checking on me or noffering a drink.

I was was courteous, attentive to detail and proficient. Only engaging in conversation related to the task. I was a kid and had nothing in common with them.

I believe that's where I developed my jobsite personality. Do the work, do it well, get the hell outta there. 😉

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
When I was first cleaning most women would show me what they wanted cleaned and moved. After that they usually left me alone only occasionally checking on me or noffering a drink.

I was was courteous, attentive to detail and proficient. Only engaging in conversation related to the task. I was a kid and had nothing in common with them.

I believe that's where I developed my jobsite personality. Do the work, do it well, get the hell outta there. 😉

All that said, the "Bradys, Mikeys, and Steves" of the world probably do better in service businesses, especially today.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

steve_64

All that said, the "Bradys, Mikeys, and Steves" of the world probably do better in service businesses, especially today.
They have to like YOU!
Doing a good job is second to retaining customers I think.

I'm job to job. My mood changes with my pain.

Mikey P

Administrator

42 FIVE STAR REVIEWS FOR ADMIRAL CLEAN☆ ☆ ☆ ☆☆

"The dog shit is gone, yippee!"-Merl

"Thanks god, he is gone". -LuLu Belle

"Send your kid next time, I'm sick of YOU"- Carver Washington

"Marty is such a people pleaser and lord almighty he sure do
clean a mean chesterfield.
I recommendeds him to all my family."
James Ladwig

"Admiral Clean does a good enough job but I sure wish we
had another company within 200 miles of here to chose from,
the same damn jokes every time he comes out, over and over,
over and over. Can I just leave the key under the mat or do I really
need to be here to help you move my lazy boy?"
- Merl's brother Earl.

"Every time I call over there he acts like I just woke him from a nap.
But the carpet stinks less when he is gone,
so who am I to complain"-
Mrs Sutley.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I had a guy working for me like that at another company. One time a customer called to see if anything could be done because there was a lighter spot in the carpet after 'Gary" left. She didn't want him to come back because she didn't want him to know she was complaining and get him in trouble. I went out to check it out and the bright spot was actually the only clean area in the room.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I had a guy working for me like that at another company. One time a customer called to see if anything could be done because there was a lighter spot in the carpet after 'Gary" left. She didn't want him to come back because she didn't want him to know she was complaining and get him in trouble. I went out to check it out and the bright spot was actually the only clean area in the room.

I can so identify with that with a few of my people over the years.

"PLEASE don't tell (insert name here) and don't you dare impose any discipline, but would you mind taking care of this for me?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom