Rug auctions for over NINE million dollars.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Please, please, PLEASE - keep the dogs away from this textile. It's a beauty!

persianrug.jpg

http://www.therugchick.com/2010/06/rug-market-takes-off-wsj-article/

As the weaving culture gets more and more sparse, these older rugs will become more and more valuable. Look how incredible this piece looks, from the 1600s. We had a Turkish rug that came through our shop, mint condition, from the 1700s - older than America. It is amazing to see these pieces, the quality and workmanship.

REAL rugs... not this tufted crap.

Lisa

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
What does one actually DO with a $9M rug? Surely you don't put it on the floor and walk on it.....

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Prescrub with a 175 rinse with dry slurry and postpad with 30volume just to brighten it

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
LisaWagnerCRS said:
As the weaving culture gets more and more sparse, these older rugs will become more and more valuable. Look how incredible this piece looks, from the 1600s. We had a Turkish rug that came through our shop, mint condition, from the 1700s - older than America. It is amazing to see these pieces, the quality and workmanship.

Lisa

Lisa, expand on the "real rugs , not tufted crap", comment

I can understand quality of materials, I also understand that not all craftsmen are created equal.
but what's different today from yestercentury?

thanks

..L.T.A.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
What are its dimentions? If it covers a few acres it might be worth it.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
meAt said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:

Lisa

Lisa, expand on the "real rugs , not tufted crap", comment

I can understand quality of materials, I also understand that not all craftsmen are created equal.
but what's different today from yestercentury?

thanks

..L.T.A.

For those of you into cars - it's the difference between the real deal and the "kit" replica. When you see an original - the quality of every piece, the richness of the wool's lanolin, the depth and texture of the natural dyes, the feel of the construction, the intricacy of the design - when you know a lot about something you admire, you can see many difference aspects that most others would say "so what?" to.

I have a Coach purse that was a gift to me - a $400 gift - that I have always said I'd never pay that much for a damn purse. But as you get to notice the difference in the quality of the leather, the construction, and the feel - it is different. I don't know what will happen when I need a new purse now.

New rugs, the bulk of them, and created with shortcuts to get the product to market the quickest and cheapest.

Just like when you buy furniture at Walmart - you expect it to be particle board, and not something you will hand down to your kids (well... some of you might...)

Tufted rugs are simple hooked construction, latex poured on the back to hold it together, and the loops sheared off to make it look like a woven rug. Takes a day to make. As opposed to a 9x12 Pakistan woven rug today, decent knot count, that can take 3 weavers 14 months to complete in 6 day workweeks.

When you lay originals and knock-offs side by side, you can see the difference. Here's a post I did of a REAL Kazak over a knock-off:

http://www.therugchick.com/2009/10/they-dont-make-them-like-they-used-to/

When you get into washing rugs, you learn which ones are quality and which ones are not.

I grew up around antique rugs (my parents sold them) - so I'm ruined for life. I like the great rugs... :)

Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey what wrong with particle board?

I see it as recycling what was once just saw dust is now sawdust and glue shaped like wood.

Family traditions have to start some where, it should last a lifetime as long as you don't sit on it or stare at it too long. :wink:

leesenter

I am in Paris, France right now and saw an auction listing last night for 3 Aubussons and one pre-Aubusson origin unknown but confirmed pre 1670 and pre Aubusson. It was starting at 15,000 Euros.
A regular Aubusson 10'8" by almost 14' was starting at 2-3000 Euros. They also had 3 pre 1920 Persians and 1-1900ish Persian. They were due to come up around 530-600PM last night and we didn't finish our chores until 515PM.
It was so depressing missing that.
A store right down the street was friggin awesome. Check out his website www.deroyan.fr when I walked in his store my jaw dropped and they all sort of laughed at me while I tiptoed around his store.
You are right Lisa these rugs are amazing.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
There are some makers of rugs doing things the old way but the price is 3-4 x most other rugs.
It’s not just the weavings age but how and why these rugs where woven. The old palace rugs like the Ardibil carpets and the one pictured above where woven by court weavers and these “court carpets” were not commercial enterprise or profit driven the workshops where owned by the rulers for the rulers without a profit, time motive to make the best rugs they could make whole existing rugs are few & far between

also,...Aubussons rugs are fugly!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom