Rug Doctor soaks carpet

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
and now this guy wants me to take out the smell?? Guy calls me and says that he just had his carpets cleaned a few days ago and now the carpets smell. After asking a few questions on who did it, he explained that he did it with a rug doctor. He says the carpets look great but now smell. :shock: Any idea as to how to attack this?? Am going over to look into it tomorrow. Figured I would pull up a corner and check for mold, use moisture meters and thoroughly inspect the carpet.
Is there anything I can do. Thanks for your help!! I figure if nothing else walk! :wink:

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
It's pretty much like washing a load of clothes and letting them sit damp for too long. They'll sour. To fix you run the load through again and then get them in the dryer right away.

I'd tell him it's going to need to be cleaned again then put down some air movement and dry is as quick as you can.

That should take care of it.

TimP

If it's dried.....then probably not.

Most likely something is going to have to be replaced.

I don't agree that cleaning it again will necesarily fix it. Washing clothes isn't exactly the same as carpet cleaning.....also it's much easier to submerge the clothes in something to get rid of the smell than it is to submerge carpet well enough to take care of the odor. And if you have mold on your clothes you can't fix that either......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Just go in and clean it and you will be fine. no different then a cleaner with inadequate equipment going in a hacking out a job...I had a guy do the same thing and it had a bad smell to it...re-cleaned it and everything came out fine.....try not to over think it

Just ask Lester....

Name
I'm Rick James
I had the exact same senerio with a clients rental, he wanted to save some dough. Its smelt bad, very musty. I just recleaned it and it took care of the problem.

TimP

Jim Martin said:
Just go in and clean it and you will be fine. no different then a cleaner with inadequate equipment going in a hacking out a job...I had a guy do the same thing and it had a bad smell to it...re-cleaned it and everything came out fine.....try not to over think it

Just ask Lester....

Yeah recleaning it "may" work.....but make sure you let the customer know that it's far from certain that it will. It's not a matter of over thinking it....it's a matter of satisifying the customer and not over promising. Make them make the call not you!!! Depending on what he's getting into chances are that it wont be fixable (remember we only clean the yarn.....the rug doctor probably got the backing and padding wet and therefore the smell is likely to be in those areas).....and it all depends on how long it took to dry. 1-2 days chances may be good 3 days plus chances may be bad also depending on temperature. This isn't something that someone could judge without actually seeing and smelling the problem.

Name
I'm Rick James
TimP said:
Jim Martin said:

Just ask Lester....

Yeah recleaning it "may" work.....but make sure you let the customer know that it's far from certain that it will. It's not a matter of over thinking it....it's a matter of satisifying the customer and not over promising. Make them make the call not you!!! Depending on what he's getting into chances are that it wont be fixable (remember we only clean the yarn.....the rug doctor probably got the backing and padding wet and therefore the smell is likely to be in those areas).....and it all depends on how long it took to dry. 1-2 days chances may be good 3 days plus chances may be bad also depending on temperature. This isn't something that someone could judge without actually seeing and smelling the problem.

Pre-Qualifying is over rated...

lesterj2

Jim Martin said:

Just ask Lester....
what you mean ask Lester... i have never had stink issues with any of my Rug Doctor cleanings...

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Same here. Carpet smelled from cleaning themselves and had wrinkles.
Pulled up carpet and could not find any issues on the backing or on the pad or even under the pad where I checked.
I just stretched and cleaned and all was well.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Use your moisture meter I'll give 10-1 that it's still wet. Probably not the carpet but the backing/pad.

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
Lester dont be so defensive lighten up this is a brotherhood here we all help each other. 1. you are new and 2. you use to use a rug doctor. You are a rookie and must take the jokes. I did. If you want you can come to Brooklyn and I can serve you up a fresh one.

Mikey P

Administrator
Is telling Lester to lighten up the same as Marty telling him to whiten up?

Are you all trying to get the naacp after me?

If used correctly a rug doctor can do every bit as good a job as any portable or "dry" method out there.

Ernie G

I would dry it out first. Treat it like a water damage job, because thats what it is. Spray it with a good mildew killer, bring in a dehu and air movers, dry that sucker out and then clean it. Its not your problem now, so don't make it your problem.

lesterj2

Jtuseo said:
Lester dont be so defensive lighten up this is a brotherhood here we all help each other. 1. you are new and 2. you use to use a rug doctor. You are a rookie and must take the jokes. I did. If you want you can come to Brooklyn and I can serve you up a fresh one.
im not being defensive... maybe you are just READING INTO IT to much... LOL, lighten up guy... 8) 8) 8)

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have absolutely no idea what Lester and Richard are saying half the time, but even I was able to see that Lester was in the grove on this one.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
mikey i disagree that a rug doctor will clean as good as any portable
as a guy with portables just not true in fact i bet i could out clean a
few guys with truck mounts

Greenie

John La Rue said:
Reclean with Judson Quat-A-Lot in prespray and rinse.

Yup. a re-clean will probably work, but this added juice will make sure you are a hero.

Walt

Joey Johnston said:
Use your moisture meter I'll give 10-1 that it's still wet. Probably not the carpet but the backing/pad.

I wouldn't take that bet. I've come across of few of these and most were still wet. If it's wet in the pad I don't know how topical cleaning is going to completely solve the problem. I would, however, give them the opportunity to make the call. And get it in writing.

In that case dry it (if not dry), hit it with milgo or Quatalot. Rinse with a Judsons rinse and dry it fast. I give it 70-80 percent chance of working.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
went and cleaned that carpet today. turns out the smell was pet odor not musty carpets. used my moisture detector and they were dry. guy says that it can't be pet odor as his rooms were full of furniture! :lol: I didn't argue with him and told him that I could not guarantee that the smell would go away. cleaned it, got my money and left. :wink:

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Mikey P said:
Is telling Lester to lighten up the same as Marty telling him to whiten up?

Are you all trying to get the naacp after me?

If used correctly a rug doctor can do every bit as good a job as any portable or "dry" method out there.

I thought lester was mexican...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom