Rumors of a new trade show in Vegas this coming January.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
A portyfest sounds insane to me, for most portable buyers carpet cleaning is just an additional service and not the primary source of revenue.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I understand that Mike

List the costs in your mind of each of those things for a 10 X 10 booth space, assuming 2 crates of "stuff and 2 staff people sharing room and 2 flights.

Booth cost
Shipping of 2 crates
2 Commissioned staff or owner (assume 0 actual wages)
3 nights room at LVH, shared by 2 people
6 nights at LVH (each having own room)
Food per diem total for 2 people (this may be high if some meals covered by vendor agreement)
2 round trip plane tickets (bought 6 months in advance)

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I heard about this show this week as well. I think it is a great concept and hope it works.

The connections extortion must end if that means this show becomes the show to go to or the iicrc becomes that show.

There must be a show that is beneficial for both the venders and the attendees.

If mytee is putting the show on, I would, personally have a lot of respect for John at mytee. Too many times all Poeple do is bich and complain but do nothing about it. So John saw that connections show was broken and took action, to find a solution even if it meant putting on a show himself. Respect

Again I don't know if it Mytee is putting in the show by themselves or not buy do think it is an great idea that might work out well.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ken, I relaying what Connections vendors are telling me they put out when it's all said and done.

Hopefully one of them will answer your questions.

I'm sure a one booth company that brings a back drop, a laptop and printed handouts (ServiceMonster for example) can get out of there with 2 or 3k.

Booth-$1100
Union set up fee for back drop-$150
Trash can-$25
Wi Fi-$25
flight for two-$400
room for 2 for 3 nights $280
food and drinks $200
Wage for employee for 3 days $600

But bring in a Legends, Prochem, Mytee, Jon Don or Interlinks with their 4 to 6 booths, ten or more employees, truckmounts, trailers, chems, outside trucks, huge displays etc and the numbers get even huger.

Mikey P

Administrator
I heard about this show this week as well. I think it is a great concept and hope it works.

The connections extortion must end if that means this show becomes the show to go to or the iicrc becomes that show.

There must be a show that is beneficial for both the venders and the attendees.

If mytee is putting the show on, I would, personally have a lot of respect for John at mytee. Too many times all Poeple do is bich and complain but do nothing about it. So John saw that connections show was broken and took action, to find a solution even if it meant putting on a show himself. Respect

Again I don't know if it Mytee is putting in the show by themselves or not buy do think it is an great idea that might work out well.

it is a good idea.

January is the wrong month. Cleaners are in lockdown mode. Piggy backing on surfaces is not enough of a reason for a cleaner, who could care less what the new name for polyester is this year, to go.
September is best in my opinion. Summer rush is over, cleaner made their loot and have a few bucks to blow, weather is predictable for outside demos and thanks to Connections, it's become tradition.

IF Connections lives on, maybe a second show the day after is the answer..lol

time will tell.

Not sure enough people would come if all the big boys are not there though.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Sadly, having the trade shows in the same spot every year results in people becoming bored with the event. I've personally been to over 30 industry trade shows over the years and our is the only one that is a total rehash! We aren't home shows - you can't put the same vendors in the same spot each year and not expect there to be terrible attritiction. The majority of the classes you are paying to attend are essentially a throwback to the old IICRC days where you paid to listen to a sales pitch. The organzier is making money because you are paying to listen to the pitch and the salesperson is paying for you to be in his "class". When i go to a trade show, I usually show up for a couple of hours to make the rounds , say hi to a few friends, and then meet for drinks, dinner, etc afterwards.
It is rare that I learn anything at the shows. However, it's very interesting that I learn something almost everytime i log into the industry bulletin boards.

To your credit: Mikeysfest is a different concept. I was actually impressed with Mikeyfest because it wasn't the same old same old. I also like the fact that it's never in the same spot.
When are you coming to Atlanta?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Mikey, add up your numbers you just validated my point. Also most o the staff at th larger set ups are likely salaried or commissioned employees and even the hourly ones would have been being paid anyways. The only new money is the booth, flights, room & food. Also I can't imagine in this day an age the vendors need wi-fi or trash can. The trash can can be part of their booth kit. I would also add a couple hundred for shipping their products to the show and it is still much lower than what I originally said.

Looks like most of the spaces are singles based on the current floor plan online. Also it is possible that many are getting discounts (we'll never know). I sure would be asking for big discounts based on past show attendance.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
2-3 grand is about what I spend on a local home show. I'd guess it has to be costing them more like two or three times that?

What about getting equipment to and from the show or do they sell it off the floor there? If they sell it, not only would it save shipping "back" but also the sale should off set some costs as long as they don't cut the margin too thin.

Mikey P

Administrator
You must be too busy playing blackjack or pimping new fanny packs at the Liberace museum to notice the massive amounts of crap the big boys bring to that show.

Your numbers are for a one booth company.

Mytee spends 20k at Connections and ISSA each. Why do you think they are looking or a cheaper option?

and I don't consider them anything close to being a big boy in regards to how many employees or display items the bring along.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Again, you keep making my point which was for a 1 booth company. Look at the floor plan, most are 1 booth.

I also think your numbers for mytee are a little inflated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I don't want to guess what Jon-Don spends. If they analyze it the Island Boy and myself would be the first ones to be cut as we are not "salespeople." Of course if Steve didn't request the Presidential Suite we could cut expenses a little.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL Bill, as the 2 biggest ambassadors, you and Steve are probably the greatest sales assets that JonDon has. I for one am of the belief that Salespeople in general are at the top of most any companies greatest assets. Sales is not a dirty word.

Reactions: billyeadon

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Prochem wages for a week for all of the people there exceed 4 k easily. Mikey is pretty close in cost for the large companies that send 6 or more people. I bet Mr. Bruders spends more then that as they always seem to bring more then enough people to answer everyone's questions as well as nearly every piece of equipment they produce. I would put there price on the higher end of 40k..What say you Mr. Bruders? Don't have to answer that it isn't our business but I would be willing to bet I was really close..

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Mikey, add up your numbers you just validated my point. Also most o the staff at th larger set ups are likely salaried or commissioned employees and even the hourly ones would have been being paid anyways. The only new money is the booth, flights, room & food. Also I can't imagine in this day an age the vendors need wi-fi or trash can. The trash can can be part of their booth kit. I would also add a couple hundred for shipping their products to the show and it is still much lower than what I originally said.

Looks like most of the spaces are singles based on the current floor plan online. Also it is possible that many are getting discounts (we'll never know). I sure would be asking for big discounts based on past show attendance.
Your argument sounds like the ones I get from owner operators when I ask them their labor costs. they say they don't have employees so the labor is free...I say really you work for free? it doesn't matter if the employee is salary or hourly it is a COST associated with the event. You can argue semantics but the fact is it is a COST that is associated with the event when the totals are entered into the balance sheet I can assure you that.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
John- I hear you and I agree with you with the exception of commissioned salespeople. If they are only paid for sales the it is a variable cost no fixed. Certainly you can use a calculation for salaried people and hourly people and that is valid (has nothing to do with a balance sheet). I would think 4k in wages (real, or assigned to the event) would be low for a large vendor. For a well attended event and a supplier/manufacturer with a wide variety of products this would not seem to be high.

Again, the whole disagreement started over single booth costs and I think 3-4k was high.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A portyfest sounds insane to me, for most portable buyers carpet cleaning is just an additional service and not the primary source of revenue.
That's true for the professional residential cleaner, but in the commercial field the vast majority of people doing HWE cleaning are using portables. Even a residential cleaner will have to turn some work away if they don't have a good portable.

Every big manufacturer recognizes this and has a portable line, so this show would be a hit for people in the market for one.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
John- I hear you and I agree with you with the exception of commissioned salespeople. If they are only paid for sales the it is a variable cost no fixed. Certainly you can use a calculation for salaried people and hourly people and that is valid (has nothing to do with a balance sheet). I would think 4k in wages (real, or assigned to the event) would be low for a large vendor. For a well attended event and a supplier/manufacturer with a wide variety of products this would not seem to be high.

Again, the whole disagreement started over single booth costs and I think 3-4k was high.
Well until Glen Wilson or Bill Bruders or the Boys at Phoenix decide to come post their numbers we are all just flapping our "jaws" :) Silly thing to argue over...Ken it will be good to see you. Lora is coming with me this year. We decided to attend the whole event this year and really give it a chance.

Mikey P

Administrator
Im more concerned about the elitist attitude of this new proposed show then what it will cost to participate

Like I said, it's a small industry where we can't afford these attitudes

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ken, I relaying what Connections vendors are telling me they put out when it's all said and done.

Hopefully one of them will answer your questions.

I'm sure a one booth company that brings a back drop, a laptop and printed handouts (ServiceMonster for example) can get out of there with 2 or 3k.

Booth-$1100
Union set up fee for back drop-$150
Trash can-$25
Wi Fi-$25
flight for two-$400
room for 2 for 3 nights $280
food and drinks $200
Wage for employee for 3 days $600

But bring in a Legends, Prochem, Mytee, Jon Don or Interlinks with their 4 to 6 booths, ten or more employees, truckmounts, trailers, chems, outside trucks, huge displays etc and the numbers get even huger.

This was how we got on the debate Mikey and actually a few posts before that.

John, it will be great to see you and Lora as well and for sure none of us really know squat when it comes to someone else's costs. I don't even necc believe anyone's claims of cost, so for sure I ain't gonna buy someone else's opinion. :smile: I come from an accounting mindset background so I can make numbers be just about whatever someone wants them to be.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would only think a huge vendor doing inside multi booths and outside booths would have costs anywhere near that Mike. Most probably get by with it being 3-4 k.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You mean this post where you use the term Huge Vendor?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom