Rust Removers

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The chain store (Food Lion) around here that used to sell Whink has discontinued it from their inventory.

I know the Manager and he can't even order anymore for us.

Now What?

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

John Olson

Name
John Olson
ummm call me? The best stuff is Steam Way's but it isn't for children or morons..Your not either of those right? If so then CTI's rust away or pochems rust remover

Reactions: GCCLee

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
and for you criminal type.....
a great way to permanently
remove yor fingerprints........don ask!!!

Mike Draper

I can attest. I've been able to get every rust stain out with steam way stuff.

Reactions: GCCLee
Name
BradFenstermaker
Chris hit up an Ace Hardware. It will be in cleaning Aisle just past paint.

They have it here anyway.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
For the love of God -STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM HYDROFLOURIC ACID.

If it gets on your skin, it burns horribly. I got just a tiny bit on finger tips - the doctors ended up splitting my fingers open to the bone to inject calcium to neutralize it. Not only did they do that, they also had to remove both fingernails. There's a reason fingernail removal is a form of torture.I'm fortunate enough to have kept my fingers, others haven't.Even then I've lost any sensation in my fingertips.
I use Ultrachem Clean, it doesn't eat your body, b
ut there are lots of alternatives than Whink. Use them.

Clean at work, no gloves, no worries

20130703_154022Rusty_zps32f04cf0.jpg

Reactions: J Scott W

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
the universe is trying to tell you something--- switch to a different type of rust remover!!! I used wink decades ago before I had any training and got the stuff on my fingers--- Burned like an SOB!!

Reactions: Willy P

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Chris hit up an Ace Hardware. It will be in cleaning Aisle just past paint.

They have it here anyway.

Cha Ching!

Thats the info I was seeking. Thanks Brad
Betcha our lil local one can order it.

To the my finger burt crowd.

Wear Gloves and Keep Baking Soda in your rig

Wussies : )

40vol burns like hell too so .......

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Chris - Hydrofluoric acid is different from your ususal acids. HF's main danger is reaction with the calcium in your body. Think of it as a poison, not an acid. From Wikipedia:

Hydrogen fluoride gas is an acute poison that may immediately and permanently damage lungs and the corneas of the eyes. Aqueous hydrofluoric acid is a contact-poison with the potential for deep, initially painless burns and ensuing tissue death. By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm[SUP]2[/SUP] (25 square inches) of skin.

I had to undergo special training back when I worked around semiconductor fabs because they use concentrated HF. Basically, if you are doused with it over more than a few % of your body, you are a dead man.

Although Whink is only around 3% HF, it's nothing to treat lightly.

Name
Tom McLaughlin
Yeah, that hydroflouric acid is nasty, we use Sapphire's Rust & Tannin, we're a distributor so we get a decent price on it and we cannot have the technicians running around with something that dangerous.

Back in the day, many years ago, used the hydroflouric acid on my rusty old white wagon wheels on my Subaru Brat, 3 minutes later, looked like it rolled off the showroom floor, no rust whatsoever. Man alive, what we did back in the day.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Cha Ching!

40vol burns like hell too so .......

"Wussie?"I'm the farthest thing from a "wussie" that you'll ever meet. I've finished jobs with a broken wrist from a fall, a bicep torn off the bone from moving a bed,got home on my my mountain bike with a torn knee and broken ribs - and a whack of other shit that would send most people howling.I can think of nothing that hurt like my fingers did from this crap and the fallout from just a miniscule amount. Can you smell it? You're absorbing it. A local hack didn't rinse or neutralize properly and had to replace an office's windows as the glass was etched when staff returned Monday morning. Another local guy stuck a rag with a little on it in his back pocket and that didn't turn out well. The only thing that contains it is plastic- not glass, metal or any other material. A miniscule slash - that you may not even notice at the time- can mess you up. A tiny droplet to the eye? You're done with seeing from that one. Think about what would happen if you got in an accident and that gallon of Whink went all over you. A kid climbs in your van while you're working.
You're young and probably best to understand that us elders learned from experience and not bullshit bravado.What we've learned came through experience and scar tissue should be invaluable to you. But then again you just can't cure stupid:biggrin:
AND F#@K YOU AND YOUR "WUSSIES" horseshit sonny. Ignorance is of little or no value in the emergency ward.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinL and GCCLee

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
forget what brand....
BUT it was about my first week into cleaning (right after i killed that old lady)...
sooooo i hit the rust spot

and rubbed it in wit my fingers........can't describe the pain and damage to my fingers
i STILL barely have fingerprints......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Way back in the old days you'd occasionally get a scare when the carpet would turn purple. Fortunately you could neutralize it and correct it.
Indicator dye can be such a surprise! :biggrin:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Frankly, John. I find the above statement to be................shall we say...........moronic?

Anybody that chooses to use a crazy product like that (one that can etch glass, eat your flash to the bone and god knows what else), while other, almost as good products without the "moronic" level of risk and liability are available, is, shall we say: wisdom challenged.

Cha Ching!
Thats the info I was seeking. Thanks Brad
Betcha our lil local one can order it.

Yes, Chris.
It is a very manly product.
Go ahead, use it. Make our day.

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Dang Ya'll are serious this time huh!

Not ha any issues with the burning, fumes or anything remotely close to what ya'll describe.

Been through 5 lil brown bottles over the past year
And I do where gloves Especially when the Black Bag comes out.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Frankly, John. I find the above statement to be................shall we say...........moronic?

Anybody that chooses to use a crazy product like that (one that can etch glass, eat your flash to the bone and god knows what else), while other, almost as good products without the "moronic" level of risk and liability are available, is, shall we say: wisdom challenged.

Yes, Chris.
It is a very manly product.
Go ahead, use it. Make our day.

You're in shit Ofer. If you don't like a product or have issues with manufacturers or anyone who carries his same lines he does- well , prepare to be shitkicked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom