Sad News Gary Heacock

John G

Gary Heacock - very sad news!!
(for those that know of Gary!)

Gary Heacock Tragic News

Hello Everyone,

I have some sad news to share. My Dad Gary Heacock was involved in a fatal auto accident driving home from an event in Las Vegas. I know many of you were his friends and would want to know. Our family would appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we walk through these next days and weeks.

I myself am a second generation cleaning and restoration professional and cut my teeth carrying buckets to fill the portables and shampoo machines and raking carpets as a teenager. My Dad was a great guy and loved helping and socicalizing with other carpet cleaners.

One of my proudest moments was when as a teenager I accompanied my Dad to a CCINW convention in CourdeLane Idaho where there was a fabric identifaction contetns and out of the hundreds of guys there, he was the only one to identify 10 out of 10 fabric fibers correctly. He often wore a hat that said, "World's Greatest Carpet Cleaner"

I got to spend time with him at the Vegas Connections last year and got to see many of you there. Even well into his retirement he loved staying connected with the community of cleaners and restorers. And if you bought a pair of his wand ski's, I'm sorry I had nothing to do with that LOL!

Alan Heacock

<tbody>
</tbody>

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
That is some sad news indeed!!! Gary was a wonderful guy! Very caring, and always ready to share what he knew with others. I enjoyed many good times speaking with Gary. ANd I always felt like I learned something afterward. He was one of the good guys in this industry! He will surely be missed. My heart goes out to his son Alan and the family.

Here is a picture of Gary doing what he did best - teaching others a trick or two. He loved upholstery cleaning. And here he was doing a little class at one of the early Mikefests in California...

View attachment 2068

And here I am at the first Winterfest in Fresno California having my picture taken with the "World's Greatest Furniture Cleaner" himself...

View attachment 2067

Gary was one of a kind. He will be missed!

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
He was a true one of a kind fellow. I went on a ride a long with him years ago and he can make you laugh from sun up to sun down. I am a better man for counting him as a friend.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I am so sorry for your loss.

Your father had that rare combination of a brilliant mind and warm heart. In a world that has gotten distant, colder, and as our industry in some ways has also darkened in the same way, your father exuded genuine feelings and character that were always rare, and today even rarer with his passing.

Thank you for sharing him with us while he was here Alan.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Sad news indeed...

I met Gary years ago and always had long conversations with him at all the industry events. He was definitely a nice man.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I don't think there is anyone who doesn't know who Gary is. I talked with him quite a bit while starting my career and he was always a big help and always willing to go over and above. Very sad news...

Name
Steve Lawrence
Goodbye, Gary, and thanks for all your contributions to our industry. Gary was a believer in multi methods and finding the right tool for the job. A very innovative guy!

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Goodbye, Gary, and thanks for all your contributions to our industry. Gary was a believer in multi methods and finding the right tool for the job. A very innovative guy!

Speaking of being "a very innovative guy"... one of my favorite Heacock stories was something he told me about a carpet cleaner gathering from a long time back. They had dragged in an old herculon sofa from the dump. It was rat nasty. So Gary loaded it into someone's pickup truck and drove it to the car wash. They sprayed it down with a fire-breathing degreaser and then sprayed it off with the high pressure sprayer at the car wash. Long story short, the sofa came out reasonably clean. Now that's thinking way outside the box. In fact, I'm not sure that Gary even had a box ;)

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Very sad news. Gary came on a ride along with me one day, learned a lot. RIP Gary - the industry suffered a large loss.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We are all a little richer for having known him. He left behind a goldmine of industry help and humor.
Well said.

Gary was one of the great characters of our industry that I feel priveledged to have known. We were fortunate to have him in the CCINW and got to spend some time with him. His website with a joke on every page was ahead of the "Facebook era" of connecting with customers, and the wand skis prove he was a decade (or two) ahead of everyone else in making a wand easier to use.

I'm sad that he's gone, but I'll smile when I think of him.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Walt

Years ago, I was trying to clean a raw cotton sectional that a dog had slept of for years, and it was going badly. I had been there for a couple of hours and making very little head way. I was embarrassed and distressed. So, I called Gary and asked him what to do. He said reschedule for the following day - which I did. He came with me and schooled me on how to clean it. It turned out perfect.

I wanted to split the ticket with him, but he wouldn't have it. He knew I was just starting out and really needed the money. He let me buy him lunch.

Gary was my good friend. And I will miss him dearly. I look forward to the day when I will see him again.

My condolences go to the Heacock Family.

Sincerely,

Walt

Jimbo

Gary was a good guy...he would offer to stop by and check out your operation when he was traveling...just to help out.

I remember his story of how he fixed a bleach stain in a commercial building...then when they refused to pay him because they thought the charge was too much...he slipped back in the building in the evening...probably 'incognito'...and slyly poured a gallon of bleach back and forth in the entryway...Gary had the last laugh!

He did have an interesting background as a special effects guy for the movies...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0372107/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Rest in Peace, Gary

Reactions: Art Kelley

Walt

I'm glad you put up that link. Gary was very proud of his career in special effects. I watched "Corpse Grinders" at his house with him. He built the "grinder."

Carpet cleaning was something he took up because he had started a family and needed a regular in come.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
"May The Winds Of Upholstery Cleaning Always Be At Your Back, Gary". He was the most informative and easy to follow instructor that I have had the privilege to learn from and know. Enjoy your new journey! What a horrific way to end a life......I know from personal experiences with my Daughter. And to be miles from home makes it even sadder. God Bless.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Thanks for letting us know John. Very heart breaking news, prayers to the Heacock family, and everyone mourning his loss.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I had heard of "Gentlemen" all of my life, but never actually met a genuine one until I met Gary. Gary would always be the very first to ask to do you a favor, if he could. Whenever we got together, it was mostly just to kick back and while away the time.

I think in all the time, and the many posts he used to make on the boards, he never, ever had an unkind word about anyone.

I would like to hope that if ever this board seriously contemplates an award for a lifetime seasoned giving and conscientious poster, such an award be named after Gary.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I only meet Gary a few times at the shows. But he was always a super nice guy to talk to and have a laugh with. A legend in his own time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom