Salt water fish tank stain...? Any thoughts?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Hey Guys,

Cleaning a pet store soon, in the back "fish" room there is a giant salt spot from one of the tanks leaking(over and over).

Other then flushing the snot out of it and throwing on some encap after, not sure what else would work?

Any thoughts?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The always EVIL Host OR a weighted terry towel poultice so the salt has something to wick to besides the fiber. Capillary action...... !gotcha!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Pre-treat with an acid of some sort to break down the salt. By cid, I'm sure he means acid. And as Willy mentioned it'd be best to get the area as dry as possible and place a clean terry towel with a little weight on the spot for any wicking.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, acidic pre spray...? I've never seen a pre spray with a ph of under 7. Does this mean I could use a urine treatment(ph of 3/4 or so)? Or simply an all fiber type rinse?

Would you pre spray with the acid, run through TM or both? High heat, not high heat - will that make a difference? Seems a scrub with floor machine help, would you scrub pre spray or post bonnet or both?

The carpet is cgd in a pet store. The spots are from leaking salt water fish tanks. The actual spots are all over the room and large(Like 3'x4'). Some areas areas you can see flaky salt on top of the carpet. So it's been happening a long time. Can flushing(a lot) with an acid cause glue to fail. Is this an issue?

Never ran into something like this.

Thanks again

The custy has been warned about the salts wicking back. He's very understanding.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Would not be a standard prespray. You can use TCU Neutralizer or another acid side product to pretreat.

I have an article on www.cleanwiki.com on removing the salt-based ice and snow melting products. Same process.

Pretreat with acid.
Flush and extract as much as possible
Bonnet with an Encap like Encapuguard DS or spray on Encapuclean and brush it in.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
CTI UPT or steam way 601. Mix it up like you would OSR in a 5 gal bucket with hot water. Dump it on and let sit 10-15 minutes. Use your water claw and flush around the claw with warm water. Put your airpath on it for 15-20 minutes and $150 do that and I guarantee it will be gone for good (as long as you remember to treat twice the area you see on top)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom