Saphire upholstery tool issues

starrett

The hide a hose kinks and collapses when in use. Seems a heavier hose is needed. Any one else experience this?

Bob Foster

A few of us have. Otherwise its a darn nice tool isn't it?

Many Sapphire people watch this board closely. I have every confidence that people including Keith Studebaker, who designed the tool, and Sapphire will address the issue.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I had the hydramaster break on me 3 times so I took it back to JonDon and told them I want a refund or switch to the Saphire tool. Suppose to pick up the Saphire tool at the CAD tomorrow.

So I guess it is going from one POS to another POS?

I was talked out of getting the Kinetic tool.

I agree with you Larry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
steve frasier said:
I had the hydramaster break on me 3 times

the Drymaster tool?

I looked at those when they first hit market .

me and Little Genies could tear up an anvil .
I KNEW that hard plastic would be roached in no time.
There's be ducK tape over that jinky plastic view window after a week, I'm sure.

I'd have much less concerns about the SS rotomolded plastic head holding up though. (for an UPL tool..NOT a carpet wand)
cause it's not brittle like that other OVER PRICED plastic Drymaster

but what's up with vac hose collapsing ??
It's s'posed to handle TM use, right?

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
I hate to ruin Meats day but the Upholstery Pro is not rotomolded it's injection molded out of a blend of plastics and glass. Don't worry Meat I don't expect you to buy one anyway it seems that supporting a company that makes a profit is not your cup of tea. As for that whole profit issue that you like to pound your fist about: it's at least worth pointing out that several people receive income from each tool purchased but none in comparison to the cleaner who uses it :-)
Now as for the vacuum hose, the reason that particular hose was chosen is because it significantly reduces the working weight of the tool which reduces fatigue. Of course if that doesn't matter a person could purchase a heavier hose for it. It was not chosen simply to make an extra $1.95

Bob Foster

Thanks for the reply Bill. Perhaps they can strengthen the end part with a strain relief. It kinks on the proximal end of the hide-a-hose. But, the strain relief also can't catch or abraid fabric.

Just and idea.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Now as for the vacuum hose, the reason that particular hose was chosen is because it significantly reduces the working weight of the tool which reduces fatigue. Of course if that doesn't matter a person could purchase a heavier hose for it. It was not chosen simply to make an extra $1.95
2 months after a few complaints that is how you feel? do you think that hose can handle truckmount heat?

I asked the question of how it would handle the heat and based on the information i got I bought one at Mikefest and then 2 others and I would have preferred not to buy it and kept life the way it was. Could you tell me where to buy the better hose and then explain why I have to buy a better hose on a product i thought was ready for duty.

Steve poulos and everyone from ss was very good but i still do not have 3 new hoses we gorilla taped the smaller from drimaster to it whcih leaves the furniture more wet than the original working with this tool

if you would like to see my original complaint it is with ss and another on this board

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Extreme
My point was that the hose was chosen for a pretty good reason not price. As for your particular issue have you discussed this with your distributor? I ask because that's what they provide in terms of service and support. If you want to pm me with their name I'll have someone contact them tomorrow.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
starrett;

Vac hoses with higher temp ratings are available.

We used them for our Truckmount blower drying system.

They should handle the heat easily.

Larry

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have discussed it with your team and am unsatisfied with the results. cheap hose that didn't hold up for more than 2 weeks. I like the tool but really as a business owner have no time to deal with the BS. To be honest after showing the receipt and the complaint within 2 weeks I shouldve had new hoses at my door. I haven't held this against your company I have thousands of reward points and will continue using your company and steve poulos was very responsive to my issue but I just don't have the time to deal with it, I wanted better hose

and it is Xtreme not extreme

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bill Bruders said:
I hate to ruin Meats day

There's nothing you could do to ruin "my" day, Bill

and I'm surely not anti-profit either.
I DO have a problem with being GOUGED on many of the items in this industry .

I know a little about manufacturing and what's involved .

i know you're a smart business man (I'm not) I'm just a dumb BD carpet cleaner.
so lemmie ask, cause maybe I'm way off the mark....
I'm ASSuming you make a profit off your Airpath fans , as well as the distributors that sell them.
Likewise the Sahara Pro and Ace Turbo fans
Are there less costs to manufacture them than the upl tool???

as far as the vac hose issue ...I knew the "light weight/ease of use" would come up regarding hose that won't stand up to TM vac and heat .
i suspect the majority of us that use tools everyday would prefer durability over light duty .
Otherwise, we could head down to the local hardware store and buy light duty pool vac hose for a 1/3rd of the price you get

naw'mean??

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
lightweight doesn't even make sense when day to day we deal with 2 in and 2.5 inch hose in homes

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
Larry, Greg,
We tried alot of different hose types, some you could drive a truck over with no problems. They were stiff as hell and caused stress on the user. This is a balance of the two Extremes. I use mine with 220-230 and at times in tight areas have kinked the hose but usually it's because I have twisted it the wrong way.
I'm sure it will be worked out for you. It's difficult to cover all end user issues.

Keith

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Actually Meat the retail and wholesale pricing for every product we have uses the exact same cost accounting methodology and profit margin calculation so the idea that we are somehow making a killing on this product is far from accurate. If it wasn't for the many other items that we produce the cost woukld actually be higher because the cost to do business continues to increase. So while it doesn't fit your initial premise of gouging very well the cost is actually lower because of economies of scale not more.
Xtreme I will personally make sure we send you 3 replacement hoses of a type that will definately not be an issue regardless of heat or any other issue I just need an address.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
sounds gross but how would a stiff hose cause a bigger problem than one that didn'terform under heat and vacuum

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
i guess we posted at the same time. I want to clarify Steve Poulos went above and beyond torectyify this I just didn't have time

Mikey P

Administrator
I like the fact the Bill calls Larry Meat.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've yet to see a manufacture get that end of an upholstery tool perfected, Prochem, Hydramaster or SS.

I'd like to see some real ideas and drawings from the members here on the ultimate set up.

Something that would not scratch floors with the pressure valve, would not king and would incorporate a cool or Mytee cuff.

I think some thing a little bulky is ok if it's 8 to 10 feet away from the action.

starrett

Hose weight is not the issue. Multiple kinks, multiple times is, when it totally shuts of the vac during use. The good news is the distributer is sending a replacement tool, The bad news is I don't expect it to be any different. Take a look at the old style hydramaster hose. Doesn't kink and is far from too heavy

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
38 Plainfield Rd
Marshfield, Mass 02050

Thanks it is greatly appreciated. I look kinda ghetto all taped up like we are

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its MY fault guys.....

Bill Bruders and Keith are both being too kind to me not to throw me under the bus for this one.

When I tested the first prototype Upholstery Pro, it had a stiffer hose that likely wouldn't have this problem, but I complained about its weight and they gave in and put the flexible one on that can have this problem.

To them, and to you that have had the problem, I apologize.

In light of that, I have a hose that has held up for those who I've sent it to, and that I will send to anyone who has the problem if their distributor is unwilling to do it for them.

Just PM me.

Greg: Has the distributor who sold you those tools or anyone else sent you replacement hose yet? If not, I will. Your a good customer and it doesn't matter where you bought the tools, the hose will be on me.

Walt

Huge fan of the SS tool. But, I've got mixed feelings on the vac hose.

I really like the light weight and the flexibility, but it kinks at high heat and vac. The kink only partially comes out.

The trick is to turn your vac down to sub 12hg and the heat to sub 210 - which is way more power than you need to clean upholstery. It will not kink then, unless you pull it hard.

Do I see my disty about a replacement hose?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'll stick with my old PC upholstery tool, circa 1992 from Jim Pemberton. Changed a few valves, a few internal hoses, and the vac hose once. Oh, and it also performs as a stair tool/detailer.

Old ways.....

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Walt

Always consult with your distributor first; the person who collects the money should be your agent for replacement issues.

If he is unable or unwilling to help you, contact me at:

jimscleanchat@gmail.com

Mikey P

Administrator
Walts suggestion of cranking down the power works IF you work by yourself. We are all too often set up with one guy cleaning carpet and another using the SS Tool on upholstery..

Mikey P

Administrator
Re: Its MY fault guys.....

Jim Pemberton said:
Bill Bruders and Keith are both being too kind to me not to throw me under the bus for this one.

When I tested the first prototype Upholstery Pro, it had a stiffer hose that likely wouldn't have this problem, but I complained about its weight and they gave in and put the flexible one on that can have this problem.

To them, and to you that have had the problem, I apologize.

In light of that, I have a hose that has held up for those who I've sent it to,

There is a pretty good dick joke hiding in there somwhere..

Bob Foster

DSC03798.jpg

starrett

Just to update you guys. The distributer has changed his mind about replacing anything. My problem for using it with too much vac and heat. So, screw it , I will work on it in the shop when I get a chance and put a decent hose on it. The good news is that it was not from any dist. that shows up here.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the vacuum on both of my prochems broke in less then a month. i replaced both with better hose. On one the short hose broke at the crimp after 6 mnths. It happens. I make plenty from them so i just move on. Don't cry over a few pennies when their are Benjamin's to be made.

gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom