Sapphire Pro 1200 becomes the Summit PTS

Comeclean1

Name
Kevin
That’s it; that’s the way to do it. Change the name and hope they’ll come back to it!

You all have me nervous now. I am getting this installed now on a 2018 Chevy. The company that sold me on it talked about the ease of operation and the limited maintenance. He also was going to charge me $7000 more than another company for the install. Should I be worried about this unit? Brand new to truck mounted units and limited use on a portable carpet cleaner for my cleaning business. Should the hood be up or down when operating?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You all have me nervous now. I am getting this installed now on a 2018 Chevy. The company that sold me on it talked about the ease of operation and the limited maintenance. He also was going to charge me $7000 more than another company for the install. Should I be worried about this unit? Brand new to truck mounted units and limited use on a portable carpet cleaner for my cleaning business. Should the hood be up or down when operating?
If he's charging you $7000 more than another reputable distributor, that's your first red flag. How does he justify that? Is he giving you extras that the other guy didn't? Hood down always. I have no experience with that unit but typically pto units are easier to operate and maintain than slide ins. .

Chris A

Name
Chris
My local friendly competitor runs with his hoods up, and has for almost 30 years. He doesn't have near the van related problems that I do. I probably won't buy another direct drive unless my Apex 570 turns out to be a piece of crap, I still have two gms with pro1200s that I'll sell off in the next couple years. If I do but another direct drive van it will be a Butler, that was a very close second for me this time.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My local friendly competitor runs with his hoods up, and has for almost 30 years. He doesn't have near the van related problems that I do. I probably won't buy another direct drive unless my Apex 570 turns out to be a piece of crap, I still have two gms with pro1200s that I'll sell off in the next couple years. If I do but another direct drive van it will be a Butler, that was a very close second for me this time.
When people drive by him they say, "look at that poor carpet cleaner broken down there."

Name
jack zerkie
In 1984 I purchased the first Dodge minivan with the American 4 cyc engine . The engine would STOP on the interstate after 2hrs of driving. The fuel pump was on the front of the engine and would vapor lock . Dodge finally figured it out and moved the pump to the rear next to the fuel tank. The heat was excessive and no cooling. Ok in city traffic. My Hydramaster 470 D same problem to much heat behind drivers seat. All doors and windows open still didn't help,vapor lock. It's a killer. jz

Reactions: SamIam

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
In 1984 I purchased the first Dodge minivan with the American 4 cyc engine . The engine would STOP on the interstate after 2hrs of driving. The fuel pump was on the front of the engine and would vapor lock . Dodge finally figured it out and moved the pump to the rear next to the fuel tank. The heat was excessive and no cooling. Ok in city traffic. My Hydramaster 470 D same problem to much heat behind drivers seat. All doors and windows open still didn't help,vapor lock. It's a killer. jz
I used to have a 1977 dodge motor home. Vapor lock was a common occurrence in heavy traffic. Had nothing to do with the fuel pump. The carburetor was getting too hot and boiling off the gas creating vapor lock. The solution was to extend the air cleaner hose so that the intake was right at the grill. No problems after that.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Their "fix" for the heat issues is a direct driven flex fan, no clutch. I'm installing the first one tomorrow but I worry it will be loud as took with the fan running at the same speed as the engine...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I would strongly consider one but worried about fuel pump heating up. I have a new 6.0L Chevy

They haven’t changed the blower exhaust either

230E0CB9-F6D0-40D5-8226-C19B199FFA51.jpeg

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have it on good authority that very little was changed except the cooling fan added to the van, and the cerakote on the exhaust. They can keep em

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
12 to 15 years ago we had early fuel pump failures in our GM vans (running CDS units). When we replaced the third one it had a new part number. The only change was to the electrical connector. No failures since.

We don't open hoods, even in 90+ weather, because the electric fans move air pretty efficiently when the vehicle isn't moving. Changing plug wires and belts more often than normal may be due to just looking at the odometer and not adding unit running hours.

I will certainly agree that the Hydroboost unit isn't one of GM's better ideas, and the body metal seems to get thinner every year.
I've had 2 hydroboost units replaced on my pro1200se van.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The PTS IS the pro1200se, Finkle is Einhorn... They updated the look and made a couple small tweaks and that was it. The hood up in the promo video is the most damning evidence

Reactions: SamIam and Scott S.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom