Sapphire Scientific's New Upholstery Tool

theden

Is anyone using Sapphire Scientific's new upholstery tool? If so, could you share with us any pros or cons about the tool and generally what you like/dislike about the tool and what, if anything, it does and/or doesn't do well?

Cameron1

We got one based on MIkeys reputation, and I got to say we are not disappointed. The guys fight over it. We will be buying a couple more this year unless I win some at Mf.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Here's a "rug" perspective - that when you have a super tricky silk or any of the artificial silk (rayon, viscose) that IS going to be a bleeder problem, using that tool has the perks of immediate extraction and NO marks because it's got a smooth edge.

I do like the Drimaster also - but it does not have the smooth design of the Sapphire tool, which now has made it my favorite one to use on the trickiest textiles AND any specific areas I want to do extra work on without getting the whole rug wet.

So... it's just another way to use the tool, but in a scenario where you can charge $5+ per square foot for the cleaning - and just a few of those pays for the tool. It does take time and patience to clean a rug with an upholstery tool, but you minimize the risks dramatically of dye migration by having this level of control. And in cases when the rug is going to bleed a lot (due to over-dye applications, or pet urine exposure, or perhaps bleeding wefts where you don't want to fully wet the foundation fibers) it has very good solution flow and extraction.

Rugs today have so many corners cut, you can't always do what's best with certain pieces (i.e. give it a good long bath) - this is just a good tool to have handy when you want to clean as best as you can but fibers/dyes/construction issues prevent you from soaking and washing.

We've also used it on antique upholstery covered with tapestries, embroidery needlepoint, and kelim weavings.

My hope one day is that they make an upholstery tool version of the Stryker wand, because I'd love that vacuum on both sides, this would be the ultimate rug spotting tool. =) But until that happens - the SS upholstery tool is my favorite...

Lisa

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Got one 2/3 months ago and really like it. The vac release is great to have at your gingertips. We cleaned some drapes that could not be removed from the home and it worked great.

Like lisa we also use upholstery tools on problem rugs and I can still remember the look of a employee years ago when I told him the 20 by 16 rug was to be cleaned with an upholstery tool. When he saw the results and not any problems he was sold and it paid very well.

Cons - When keeping the flow valve on, the sliding stopper can difficult to move into position. I don't know if that's just my one or not.

The drimaster is capable of being a great tool when they figure out a way to keep the metal strips on the head and not have them from coming off and possibly causing a fabric tear.

Terry

Fred Homan

Where can a person buy one of these for less? There has to be quite a mark-up on these. They cost too much.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
FCC said:
huh? What do you mean both sides?

IMG_2848-2.jpg

I said I'd love a Stryker wand version of an upholstery tool with two vacuums - but on this one there is not 2. I was just dreaming out loud. =)

By the way - "where can I get it cheaper" is probably the same complaint you have about clients who call and ask you "why so much" - raise your prices 5 cents and pay for the darn thing. Crap, I made my money back after 2 artificial rug cleanings at $5.50 per sq ft. Rugs I would have otherwise turned away because they were not washable without bleeding.

If Legend had Chinese labor cranking out product in prisons they would be a lot cheaper, and would break. I personally like that they make their product in the US, with legal workers, and that they have quality control and testing that is seriously top notch (if you've ever been through their factory in WA - OMG, it's impressive) - and I know without a doubt, that if I buy anything from them, it will last me years and years and years despite the abuse of my crew to it. My DriEaz stuff has been around longer than most of my current employees - and we keep employees a long time.

If you want to get the best - you gotta pay for it. And if you scramble around for months trying to save a hundred bucks, you could have made more than that by just getting it and using it to produce. It's less than $500, seriously, that's nothing. Couple jobs.

But - I'm sure with the non-business savvy cleaners out there I bet there are some selling off their stuff somewhere, you might be able to get some sloppy seconds somewhere.

It's worth it...
Lisa

Walt

LisaWagnerCRS said:
We've also used it on antique upholstery covered with tapestries, embroidery needlepoint, and kelim weavings

Lisa

From my perspective this is it's only weakness in cleaning. It's too aggressive on needle point embroidery. If you are not careful you can fray hand stitching if it's not perfectly tight to the fabric. Better to use the glided prochem.

I own a glided prochem (still great for tight stairs), drymaster (great on fringe), internal and external jet pmf tool. However, I use the SS tool 99% of the time. If I could only have one tool this would be it. Ive had it for 6 months.

Pros- very efficient. Evenly wetting. A dream on cotton and linen. Light weight. Very adjustable. No mess.

Cons- difficult to get in corners (but not impossible). Aggressive on delicate needle point (be careful)

As far as the price goes - it just seems like a lot. After you use it for a week or so you'll wonder why you waited so long. No buyers remorse.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Fred you do know I have a money back guarantee on top shelf items and this is TOP SHELF use it 2-3 time and if you are not 100% happy with the price after that send it back. I feel like a broken record.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I helped a local guy on Wednesday clean a velvet antique chair that was water stained. He had a SS Uph tool, and I was impressed it didn't leave marks on the 100 year old antique piece. It also made groom with the carding brush easier.

Fred Homan

I feel like a broken record when I say that some suppliers think they have people by they balls for specialty equipment. More people shop online so suppliers need to be more competitive....Just being honest....

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
FCC said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:
FCC said:
huh? What do you mean both sides?

IMG_2848-2.jpg

I said I'd love a Stryker wand version of an upholstery tool with two vacuums - but on this one there is not 2. I was just dreaming out loud. =)
I'm just confused. The SS upholstery pro has a "spraybar" in between two vac slots. How is the stryker different?

I'm a COMPLETE idiot. I went in today and played with both tools on the same rug - Drimaster and Sapphire - and the Sapphire does have 2 vacuums on both sides. I was so fixated on having no marks on rayon (which is a big deal for that crappy fiber) I didn't even notice the two vacuums.

I remember the first time I saw the Stryker wand, and Pemberton telling me how he was able to keep it in one spot, blast it with heat, and remove an ink stain without it bleeding out and spreading - he just flushed it out with that wand. And I said it would be great to have a spotting tool that did exactly the same thing, and I was thinking of bad spots in rugs, where you are worried about it getting other areas wet or bled.

And - looks like I have that spotter already - LMAO. I'm going to play with it on existing color run to see if with hot water I can release migrated dye in areas with a little heat.

Sorry for confusing you... this is kinda like asking me what kind of engine I have in my car... I'd say "metal".

Lisa

P.S. At least I can still make money with it without knowing what the hell I'm talking about... I'm the tools-for-dummies poster child!

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
From the demo I did with the SS tool, it seems like it is a great tool. You might also compare it to the long standing Hydrokinetic tool to see which one you like the best for different fabrics and situations.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Fred Homan said:
I feel like a broken record when I say that some suppliers think they have people by they balls for specialty equipment. More people shop online so suppliers need to be more competitive....Just being honest....
How much do you think a supplier makes Fred? A tool like this brings in maybe $7 a year profit over the life of the tool. How much will you make? Or are you the only one that should be able make any money?

Fred Homan

Since this posting, I have found this same tool for $399.00 instead of $499.00. I'm sure this person is making a profit too. When I see a tool I do not look at at and say I want it at any price. :shock:

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
How much do you think a supplier makes Fred? A tool like this brings in maybe $7 a year profit over the life of the tool. How much will you make? Or are you the only one that should be able make any money?[/quote:2rkbcl5c]

John I'm always surprised when people in a business where we push high quality and high service to get the best clients, turns around and expects distributors to give them Walmart prices. They look at the margin of the tool, and not all of the other overhead behind actually delivering goods and being there when they have the emergencies.

More and more I'm seeing distributors cutting their margins as they get commoditized with all these online fly-by-night guys - and then they can't carry the inventory they need to because of the big outlay of funds needed to hopefully have when their clients need when they need it. It's a guessing game knowing what to have on hand, and many cleaners don't plan ahead and buy ahead so it's always "but I need it right NOW."

That said... there are plenty of clients like me who when they find a place that has great product and great service, will pay the person they like more than the stranger who might shave $5 off. I do business with people and not based on price. The only situations where I buy only on price is when the choices of the sources are crappy ones - with no service and a horrible customer experience, so I want to give the best of the worst the least amount of money.

I just set up a video account with Viddler - paying them for a business account - even though I can get a channel on YouTube for free - and I did that because I sent some questions about their channel set-ups, and actually got a personal follow-up several times, with a guy who actually learned a bit about what I'm doing to help customize a solution for me. When he was out a day with a problem, he made sure his peer followed up to see if the uploads I had worked right. He didn't have to do that, and I assumed with an internet business it would be robotic responders and a big wait for any real help. I expect no service from an online company... but they proved me wrong, and I bought purely based on them over-delivering on a very low expectation.

I don't care if I can get it free elsewhere - free has been a pain in the ass for what I was working on, and no help at all.

So John, I don't know if your service is top notch, or how your walk-in experience is (or if you have a walk-in store) - but I can tell you that most supply houses I go to have crummy service, and the ones who are doing well right now are the opposite of that. And they are making money while most are struggling.

And there are those of us who will pay for a great product at a good price when it's coupled with good service.

Hope you have a great year this year,
Lisa

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Thank you Lisa.

Yes we have a store,classroom and 3 full time Mechanics and 1 part time and we are open 6 days a week just so the person who breaks down on Friday night or needs the bottle of spotter can still get his work done over the weekend instead of having to wait until Monday. We have 3/4 of a million dollars in inventory at any given time and we still dont always have everything when someone wants it. We are also thriving in Bridgpoints backyard so i think we are doing something right. :)

I havent said it before but I'm glad your a MB'er :mrgreen:

Name
Lee Stockwell
"The Walmart effect" makes shopping for good tools a crapshoot. Trimmer blades, paint brushes, drill bits, power tools, and other staples of the building trades used to be made in the USA at a reasonable price point for high quality. Walmart progressively pushed American suppliers to meet impossible price points and the American suppliers went along with it until they often were just breaking even to keep the account.

Then Walmart gave up the facade of "Buy American" that they slyly used to build market share...and quetly accelerated the sourcing of their products from China. The American sheeple enthusiastically ate up the new "bargains" even though the new trimmer blades were dull out of the box and most of the other cheaper products were likewise inferior.

This "cheaper at any cost" mentality doesn't reward craftsmanship.

It's happening to our industry now. For example wands that "look like" quality tools of just a few years ago.

I've lamented that no new upholstery tool has shown the same build quality and utility of my 30 year old design Kleenrite. I remember those tools being close to $300 in 1980 dollars, equivalent to $900 now.

However as Lisa pointed out a good tool gives you confidence to make far more money, and as John said, lots of it.

Viva American innovation! If we're not willing to pay for it, it will go away.

Thanks,
Lee

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Lee Stockwell
Joe Bristor?

I recognized the door to his rental storage unit. Was surprised that he featured a Testimonial by Jim Pemberton on his site??? I'm sure the Pemberton's weren't asked. Joe did that to me once without my permission.

Fred Homan

You guys a little pissy?

These peoples' only valid arguement could be that my service & supply are lacking thus I need to undercut others to make a sale, which is not the case.
I make quality products, and I have good stocks of the supplies I sell, AND I am all about servicing what I sell.
AND I started Real Cleaners to let those cleaners who are willing to share their knowledge, do so, in exchange for a little savings.
It's not Walmart when you've got all this ... supply, support AND knowledge.
Now is it?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner

Good for you John. By the way, one of your fans here sent me a personal testimonial of how great you are - just FYI. SInce I don't live in your town, I didn't know what level of service/support you provide.

As for this Bristor site - I've never heard of him, or many of the cleaners helping on that site - and the website looks a little less than secure. If I ordered from him I'd probably do C.O.D. just to be safe - I'm always weird about sites where I can see where their actual location exists... and anyone who bad mouths suppliers on their site when many suppliers have helped to make this industry better and better (like Lee Pemberton, Ralph Bloss, and many icons of our world) - I gotta wonder what the back story is.

If he's a good guy - that's great... I've just never heard of him. And I don't like to give my credit card to people I don't know.

You know... I have a friend in CA who is a roofer, and pays 110% workers comp rates - for every dollar in salary he has to pay $1.10 in workers comp. His competitors who use illegal workers can undercut his best price as a result.

Following the rules and trying to give top notch everything has a price. Those who go around the rules to undercut and badmouth the legitimate ones, just not where I want my money to go. I can always make more money, and I like to support the ones I can count on and I know will be around a long time.

Again - this Bristor guy might be a great guy... I don't know... but my suppliers have helped me a ton in my career, and loyalty is something they've earned.

Fred - get what you can (make sure it's new... and that it has not been made in China...). You never know... those knock-off Gucci bags look legit too. =)

Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom