Scabies!

Mike Sanny

Name
Mike Sanny
We had a customer today that wants us to clean her carpets, rugs, and upholstery because it is infected with scabies. Has anyone here ever done work related to this? Do you think it is safe for the technicians to go out there or too risky?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Scabies is the same mite that causes sarcoptic mange in dogs. It does not live in carpet and can't live long off the host. There is no danger to your guys. Truthfully, the customer doesn't need to clean the carpet either, but it may make them feel better. All members of the household should be treated and the bedding of infected people should be washed....and that's all they need to do. No exceptional cleaning.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Run.....I had those buggers when I was a younster. You about scratch the skin right off you.

Someone says Scabies to me over the phone....Nope....I'm cool lady.

Hell, I was almost afraid to click on this thread. :shock:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Cleaning when Scabies has been Present

Scabies is a disease cause by mites. There are several varieties of scabies depending upon the specific mite responsible. Most frequently "scabies" when used without additional clarification refers to skin disease in dogs. Some varieties of scabies are also referred to as mange.

Scabies is characterized by eruptions (bumps) on the dogs skin. This are irritating causing scratching resulting in irritation and redness of the skin. This can become severe.

Scabies is spread almost always from dog to dog by direct contact. Humans rarely contract this disease. When they do it is rather mild.

Treatment of the condition may involve special shampoos, lime and sulfur dips or other treatments suggested by veterinarians. Cure usually require several treatments over a few weeks time.

The main prevention of the disease is keeping a healthy dog away from a sick dog. Rarely can the condition spread to a dog when another dog is not present.

As a precaution, it is wise to clean all areas an animal has been in contact with. This helps remove any remaining mites. The dogs bedding can be laundered separately. Hard surface floors can be swept and mopped. Upholstery and carpets can be cleaned with hot water extraction.

Slow careful vacuuming using a vacuum with HEPA filtration prevents picking up the very small mites and redistributing them into the air through an inefficient vacuum exhaust. Vacuuming can also be accomplished with vacuum that goes directly to a waste tank outside in a truck. When truck mounted vacuum equipment is used for dry vacuuming, a Dust-Downer attachment will prevent debris from being sucked into the vacuum blower and damaging it.

Slow and repeated vacuum passes should be made both for dry vacuuming and wet extraction.

Use whatever prespray and rinse agent that is appropriate for the type of carpet or fabric being cleaned. The use of heat is beneficial in assuring any remaining mites are removed or killed.

Hoses and tool should be cleaned before being used in another home or job site.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
So basically tell the customer to wash all bedding. You charge a good price for taking some time And vac everything like mattresses, couches and chairs ect. You have an opportunity to create a cheerleader and a customer for life. Plus some good money.

Don't just charge extra and do nothing extra. Take care of he customer and give the a sense of ease thru your services.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Seriously, I do dog rescue and get dogs with sarcoptic mange in a couple times a year, no one here has ever caught it. it's not that big of a deal. You don't have to do all of the stuff Scott mentioned, however, if it makes the customer feel better, then by all means, go ahead. It certainly won't hurt. However DON'T tell the custy they HAVE to do it in order to get rid of the mites. That would be untrue and taking advantage of their fears.

Take care,
Lisa

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I'm allergic to those..... remember coating myself in that expensive ass medicine for about two weeks straight. But Lisa is right they can't live without a host, and its only passed by direct contact.

Jamesh921

Name
James
will microban XK50 kill em?

If so, does it need to be diluted (if so, at what level)?

If not, just shoot em with the juice @ 100%? let it dwell 15 min and start sucking????

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
While Moban may kill them, I don't know, you don't need to use it! They can't "jump" onto you like fleas. They can't live long at all off the host. You have to touch an infected animal or person, specifically where the mites are in order to be infected. Or share a bed or clothing with the person/animal right after they have been in it.

They lay eggs under the skin of the victim, not in carpet or bedding.

Take care,
Lisa

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jamesh921 said:
will microban XK50 kill em?

If so, does it need to be diluted (if so, at what level)?

If not, just shoot em with the juice @ 100%? let it dwell 15 min and start sucking????

Why are you micro-banning the dog?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Steri_Fab, full strength right from the jug!

Marty should be along to coment on this subject. He's got a scabies story.

Back
Top Bottom