Scott Rampage..batter up!

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Scott,

Do you guys always use a 3 men team on the Aerotech?

What are your procedures and who is in charging of doing what?

Thanks,
Bill

Scott Rampage

Name
Scott Rampage
We always use 3 guys unless I'm in school but we all switch off but basicly one guy cleans one guy drys and one guy spots.

Mikey P

Administrator
By "Spots"do you mean that guy pre sprays and post spots?
What does the guy who moves fans around do besides that?
Do you still post vacuum each job?

Who pull hoses, move and replaces furniture?

If you have a route with 4 or 5 jobs all under 500 feet do you still bring the 3 man crew?

Scott Rampage

Name
Scott Rampage
The guy who cleans per sprays the guy who spots pulls hoses the guy who moves fans brushes also and we ALWAYS have 3 guys unless one of us is gone for some other reason.

Dave Rampage

Mike,

You have to understand we get the carpet dry by the time we leave. That takes a lot of work to keep up with the wand to achieve that. Most jobs we single wand but we duel some of them. When we have employees we will run a 2 man crew. We only post vac if we low moisture clean. All three of us can do any of the tasks so the wand never stops. If I put the wand down to spot something, Scott or Ben most likely will have the wand in their hand before I know. We enjoy working together and for me it's great to see how these two have developed into such hard workers and good cleaners.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Dave Rampage

Yes sir! Dry in a couple hours is probably not that important because they don't remember. Dry right now people remember. I've been doing it long enough to receive enough feedback. I just picked up a Carpet Store who is going to advertise carpet cleaning and they wouldn't talk to me until he heard dries by the time we leave. He said he has been in business and has never had a cleaning experience like that in 40 years and has 20,000 clients and wants to start marketing to them now. It's paying off big. Also remember Chem Dry built a large franchise on fast dry. We can clean good and dry right away.

Dave

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Can't both guys who are cleaning (dual wanding) "post spot" while the 3rd guy does everything from pre spraying, spotting, moving fans, bring equipment in/out, basically everything that the 2 other guys can't do? I think even the main 1-2 guys can do the post spotting themselves if it's not a huge red stain, but spotters that come right out w/ red stain remover, fels naptha, and gel spotters one person can handle it.

We all have these on us at all times, minimizes having a 2nd person having to spot.

http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AX108

We use 8oz bottles for the 3 main spotters - red stains, power gel, rust, carry a bar of fels natha, duckbill shears, and carpet shark. There's also room to hang a towel, but I prefer the towel clips.

This way you can dual wand most jobs above 3 rooms plus and still get carpets dry before you leave. With enough fans, airpaths/dripods it can be done w/ 1 guy moving them around. With the dripods each guy can even carry 4 dripods per person or 2 airpaths per person just to sat it in the house and let the spotter/fan guy move it all around.

I don't see any needs for more than one person to move hoses around, if you have clip/strap the hoses to the stairs if on 2nd floor and also have the same clip/strap 3 feet from the wand/rotovac also clipped to your belt there's no need for a 2nd person to move the hoses (unless they have nothing else to do).

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Bill while there are certainly positives for the client, 3-technicans are an increased burden on your cost of sale if you're only running one wand.

Reactions: tmdry

Dave Rampage

We pretty much do what Bill says. Right now we are cleaning with 3 guys. We are a family and setting up systems. When we have employees, it will be a 2 man crew. Most jobs it's quicker to single wand and get it dry than to duel wand and get it dry. You have to try it yourself and you will see what I mean. Probably nobody here gets it dry with single wand alone. Let's see you guys accomplish that, then lets see you duel wand and get it dry. Then we will talk systems when you are capable of the same results.

Dave

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Again, is the smaller margin worth the increased business (at the lower profit margin) ?

Like Bill mentioned, I'd run dual wands, increase your production and profit then use Airpath's to force your carpet dry.

Different strokes for different folks!

Reactions: tmdry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We ran five guys off of one truck on a comm job took four hours for $2200.00

Many ways to get the job done we want to be very efficient and get paid very well, while doing it.

Dave Rampage

Well thanks for the compliments guys. When you can accomplish something that a lot of supposedly smart business people don't believe is possible, you are doing something right.

Richard,

If you can increase your production to keep your cost of sale at the same percentage then it's beneficial to have 3 techs. The problem with everyone here is you are giving opinions without actually doing what you say is not possible. If you try a 3 man crew one time, you probably will not see the benefits. Everyone has to understand you must keep the wand moving. If you never stopped the wand do you realize how many square feet you can clean per hour. Once you realize that is your goal you need all three people to work in sync to keep the wand moving.

In our case we make clean as our first goal. We don't sacrifice clean for dry. We place our standard on drying just as high as cleaning. You must have a crew that works together every day and works well together. It's just like a NASCAR crew. Isn't it amazing how they can do a complete pit stop in 12 seconds. 10 years ago nobody would have ever thought it would be possible. Today it's normal. My company is just ahead of it's time. I enjoy seeing all the scepticizm. It means I have something special.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Different strokes for different folks! For the majority of the commercial work we do, drying is just not an issue. Their hvac units move so much air, the carpets are nearly dry where we started, by the time we leave. That's with no additional effort from us, labor or equipment.

For those that are not large systems drying after hours when no one is around, just isn't a problem.

I see more of a value in "dry as you clean" in residential than commercial, but it works for you....more power to ya!

Congrats on being ahead of your time, just don't slow down or you might get run over! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Rampage

Richard,

I agree. On commercial we would duel clean most everything. Maybe mix low moisture and steam cleaning to keep everybody busy. I was talking about residential.

Dave

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
"You have to try it yourself and you will see what I mean. Probably nobody here gets it dry with single wand alone. Let's see you guys accomplish that, then lets see you duel wand and get it dry. Then we will talk systems when you are capable of the same results."

Don't you run #6 flow on your wand(s)?

We do 1 hour dry times w/out fans (dry b4 we leave w/ fans), there's nothing special that you are doing that no one else is already doing (if they even care to do).

We duo wand 90% of the time than use fans to dry - (it's not a mystery). It can be done...

Except you have a $110,000 machine that is meant to run 2 wands at all times if the job allows it for. By single wanding, and not "taking advantage" of your truck's full potential, you're "just making an excuse" for the dry times and whatever else you think comes first.

"I enjoy seeing all the scepticizm. It means I have something special."

It's spelled - scepticism - No one is a sceptic here - there are many ways to do things, some of us just have "systems" that work better for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't think Dave paid 110k for his AT Bill but I get what you're saying.

We dual wand just about everything over 300 feet in residential and over 500 feet commercial

Dave Rampage

My truck was $74,000.00. Not a bad deal. I took a chance on a company everybody here said was no good. I'm glad I'm not influenced by others.

Dave

F

FB7777

Dave,

Do you envision a time when you will stop slinging a wand , thumping your chest and growing your business from more than a job with 2 helpers?

It's nice to be so committed to providing world class service, but with one rig you only provide this to 4 or 5 people a day and bring your top line to around $300 K if you're lucky

Dry when you leave is a nice concept, but other than you and a handful of others , Billions of dollars are being spent on carpet cleaning that is dry 6-8 hours after completion

I guess what I'm trying to suggest that perhaps the focus in business should be the bottom line, not playing musical drying fans

Reactions: Able 1 and Zee

Able 1

Name
Keith
Dude wake up! Dry times don't even matter what so ever(as long as your around the 6-8 hour mark).. Service is where it's at! If someone wants it done tomorrow and you can't pull if off, start to rethink what you are doing with your biz..

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Scott Rampage

Name
Scott Rampage
Dude get your facts strait if you never tried it you would never know so don't criticize drying until you try it.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ok well now I see where we get the 5k challenge comes from!

Rampage use your systems make your money enjoy what works for You!

Like Werner and his vacuum your untouchable.

But your real goal should be to make a ton of money and leave your family better off then you started, I'm sure those are your goals also.

Proving or disproving is moot. The real question I want answered is daily gross, how many jobs completed daily, and length of average job.

Thats more meaningful to me.

I think theres a ton of us getting better then average dry times. The advent of 4 to the door, 2.5 inch hoses, ti wands, fans. Leave a lot of us beating Chemdry's 2 hour dry times

If your finished on your last job, how long does the last airpath sit in the last room cleaned before it gets pulled? While the last fan is drying the last area is that break time?

If your like Mike getting .65 sq ft doing going 2k sq ft a day, averaging $1300 a day! Then ya camp the fans take your time pull them when its dry. Thats awesome!

We're not picking you apart, Your making claims that sets you far above us!

And I'm not saying your not, it just rubs people the wrong way.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom