Scott Rampage..batter up!

Dave Rampage

Fred,

Nope, don't plan on working in the truck forever. We have plans and so far we are on plan. I've had a million dollar restoration company in the past and fully understand how to run a company. Yes I know things didn't work out then. I had a very difficult wife that constantly nagged me to give up the biz. I actually had a good thing going. Just tried to make the family life work so I gave in. After about 8 months I decided to clean carpets part time so I could raise my kids. While raising the kids I had no intention to grow. I was making good money and still able to spend a lot of time with the kids. That paid off well for me. My kids all work in the business and share the same values I do. I really enjoy working with them.

We have set a plan in place for our growth. We had to set up the systems, then marketing. Everything is going as planned and I am proud to see my kids develop into young business people.

I may come across as chest thumping but i'm not. As far as the dry thing I know you don't need it to get work but many here that think it's crazy are missing the boat. Your customers don't care if it's dry until they have it. Then they will request it. Mikey and Chavez seem to think you can't get a carpet clean and get it dry and still be profitable. That's not true. I do have to say it was a challenge at first but with practice you can learn how to be efficient and produce results many feel are not possible.

As far as my ex Mother in Law goes. I want to make it clear. She was not my personal banker. We were business partners. Over the 10 years we were in business we both invested in the company. Over the 10 years I have invested more financially, physically and with the knowledge to run a business. Even though we are enemies now because of the way she handled everything her daughter did I still feel she was a good business partner. She helped where she could and gave her best. But she was not the one that gave more to the company financially. I don't appreciate when guys on this board and you are one of them speak untruthful statements.

Dave

Mikey P

Administrator
Mikey and Chavez seem to think you can't get a carpet clean and get it dry and still be profitable.

Dave, I'm sure you're turning a profit.

I just chose to work with two people, get in far more square footage/jobs in a day and keep more....and let Mrs Pift deal with damp feet for a few hours.

I could care less WHY you do it, I just wanted to know HOW you do it.

dual not duel.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
So what is your plan to generate enough business to allow you to run multiple trucks? 3 man crews with dry before you leave sounds great but I am thinking you will need 12-17 jobs with close to a $300 dollar average to make it work. You would have 9 guys to pay and 3large leases just to start for overhead. What's your marketing plan?

Don't let the naysayers hold you down I hear that stuff all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P and FB7777

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I might be reading it wrong, but I'm taking from this that Dave is teaching his boys how to run the biz using systems in place to keep the crews working and moving on the job to max the time and effort on the job to give the custy a service above what his local competition can give , which will serve him well in referrals and reviews. As young Scott has Already said they can achieve the same results with two man crews.

I don't think he,s fooling him self , he just found away to set the bar higher for his company ..next is the price his locals will pay for his higher class of service. If they will pay enough for him to make a profit ,then where's the problem

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mikey and Chavez seem to think you can't get a carpet clean and get it dry and still be profitable.
Yes and no.
I don't know how you can do it with three people.

I'm glad you've figured it out how to do it with that much of a labor burden but I would think you'd be far better off using a powerhead, that is going to accomplish the cleaning and the drying with 1 or 2 tech's. Send the third out on vacant work or emergency spot work or somewhere else where he is making addition revenue to add to the pile.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I am also looking at the numbers. Sure they are family but a man hour is a man hour. Do three people get the job done 3 times as fast? This doesn't just include wanding 3 times as fast but everything. Drive times would be the same with three people. Dumping and daily mainnance would be the same. So in theory you would need to wand 4-5 times as fast to justify 3 people on the project.

Have you every considered just 2 on the truck, I agree that with a good system that two people could in theory get double the work done and provide high level of customer service.

One more thing that makes things tough is customer perception. Even with an expensive truck the customer is going to be hesitant at some point for the amount per hour your charging. Lets say you pull up to a lawyers house and charge him 400 for an hour to clean his carpets. He may look at your investment as minor compared to his investment into his education and believe you are not worth the cost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom