senior carpet inspector certification

Would it be worth becoming a senior carpet inspector and adding inspections for carpet retailers.the only one here in Houston retired.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Some mills are using inspectors less than they used to. They rather just pay the small claims or deny them based on what one of their field reps reports. Sometimes the cost of an inspect can equal the manufacturer's cost in the carpet.

Retailers usually want the manufacturer to pay for the inspection. The bigger ones have the clout to get an inspection or a replacement. But, retailers don't pay for a lot of inspections.

If you get a good reputation, you can still get a few and supplement cleaning, especially in a larger market like Houston. You can get even more work if you are willing to travel a few hours out into the countryside.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Do it if you enjoy doing inspections but if you doing it to make more money you'd be better off cleaning. It pays better and you're not in the middle of a battle when no one wins or appreciates you.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
When I was in the computer biz certifications use to make me money and an asset to my employer.

Now the only certificate people seem interested in is a cert of insurance.

dan mabes

Making money as a Senior Crtified Carpet Inspector can be difficult. It's kind of like starting a business all over by itself, lots of marketing involved. I took the course and was certified many years ago. The education was tremendous and certainly helped in the cleaning end of my business because it helped me avoid a lot of problems by knowing which jobs to turn down down. It also helped me get a lot of referrals from carpet retailers because they realized my company really knew what we were doing
Dan M

leesenter

One thing I was always warned about before becoming an inspector was that you are often going to get somebody right p.o'ed at you doing inspections.
Boy he wasn't kidding.
If the mills are going to give you work well thats an okay business.
The rest of the clients must pay up front because if you don't write what they want they don't want to pay.
One thing is for sure, you will learn a lot.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Ditto all of the above comments.
Since the downturn in new carpet sales, the number of Carpet Inspections have also gone down.

You will learn plenty and it will be a stepping stone to many other kinds of Inspections -
Resilient, Tile, Concrete and Wood.
There is little room for mistakes or sloppiness ( especially in Court ) so if you are going to do it, be sure to either do it right or not at all.

The best paying customers are lawyers but don't go there until you really know what you are doing.

One other consideration is that once you get old and decrepit and or retired, Inspection work is something that you can do long into your old age.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Guys:

From "old and decrepit and or retired" Inspector; simply put, I would not do it to become an Inspector. A huge cleaning company who sent me to school to keep them out of trouble put me in the situation. Then after I was hurt in a wreck, since I had years of weekend inspections behind me, had inspections as my only source of income.

Now that I am physically able again, I long to get back into light physical work, and stay out of the middle of peoples fights. One of my son’s will soon be moving overseas, and I hope to get back into the hands-on to work again.

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom